Sponsored

Switching from 5W-20 to 5W-30. Best Oil?

Fire__GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack Level 1
What's up guys. I currently run 5W20 Motorcraft and knock on wood- I have not had any prominent ticking. I do drive the car with a purpose and have spirited driving when i take it out. I am looking to switch to 5W-30 as I've done more research and the weight is supposed to help. What oil brand do you like/use?

Considering Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, Mobil 1, or Castrol Edge.
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I recently switched to Mobil1 0/30 with 1,128 miles on the clock, and no tick yet after 1K miles on the oil (knock on wood). That way, I get slightly better protection than 5/20 when hot, and also quicker lubrication when cold, which is always good, regardless of temperature, so a double-win, I hope :). But any of the ones you listed would be great. I think the Ultra Platinum is the most recommended here, but it's not easy to find cheap. Out of those 3, only M1 makes 0/30 at the moment, so in my case, I didn't have to choose. Ha ha. Good luck.

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
I recently switched to Mobil1 0/30 with 1,128 miles on the clock, and no tick yet after 1K miles on the oil (knock on wood). That way, I get slightly better protection than 5/20 when hot, and also quicker lubrication when cold, which is always good, regardless of temperature, so a double-win, I hope :). But any of the ones you listed would be great. I think the Ultra Platinum is the most recommended here, but it's not easy to find cheap. Out of those 3, only M1 makes 0/30 at the moment, so in my case, I didn't have to choose. Ha ha. Good luck.
Don't go under manufacture specs. 0-20/30 oils are essentially for fuel economy.

What's up guys. I currently run 5W20 Motorcraft and knock on wood- I have not had any prominent ticking. I do drive the car with a purpose and have spirited driving when i take it out. I am looking to switch to 5W-30 as I've done more research and the weight is supposed to help. What oil brand do you like/use?

I would do penz ultra over mobile1. In two independent tests, it did much better. Amsoil Sig series did the best without additives.

I've run 5-30 sig series in my 15 and 18 without issue. It is expensive. But if you pay for membership, it lowers the price significantly. I pay under $10 a qt. I typically order enough for 3 oil changes at a time.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Don't go under manufacture specs. 0-20/30 oils are essentially for fuel economy.
20 is for fuel economy. The '0' applies only when oil is cold, and the thinner it is, the better (lubricates quicker). But to each his own. And 0/20 and 0/30 are both approved by Ford, so not 'under manufacture specs'.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Never, ever go thinner than the first number of what the manufacturer suggests. In this case, '5'. All manufacturers agree with that. The second number '20' can go up without detrimental effects to a point. FORD says 5w20 for the MUSTANG. Don't concern yourself what a fiesta uses.

Sponsored

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Never, ever go thinner than the first number of what the manufacturer suggests.
*thicker

Ftfy. A lower cold viscosity just means it'll flow better at low temperatures but the bigger gap between cold and hot ratings means more viscosity modifiers which often means less viscosity stability.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase

Drive the same, plan to try the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum next change. It is rated one tick below Amsoil Sig.

What bothers me about the brand, is 2 fold. One amazon & eBay as the source, and think Pennzoil will be easier found. If it is sooo great why is amazon & eBay the supply ?

Castrol, points out it reduces slug, keeping the block clean. That is absolutely a true statement of fact. Drop a pan or pull the intake on a motor that runs Castrol, it will be clean.

Decision, decisions will see. @ 2k, just did the first oil & filter (WIX) have 90% oil life to think about it.

Last edited:

86pagt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
I run PUP but noticed Walmart has QUD 5-30 for $14.67 for a 5qt ... smoking deal and have read good things about QUD also

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Never, ever go thinner than the first number of what the manufacturer suggests. In this case, '5'. All manufacturers agree with that. The second number '20' can go up without detrimental effects to a point. FORD says 5w20 for the MUSTANG. Don't concern yourself what a fiesta uses.
This couldn't be more wrong if you tried :cwl:

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think WildHorse speaks from a performance high stress environment .

5W-20 DD ......... the 350: 5W-40
5W-30 TRK ....... the 350: 5W-50

Alternative Engine Oil for Extremely Cold Climates SAE 0W-20
To improve engine cold start performance,

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold

5W-20 DD ......... the 350: 5W-40
5W-30 TRK ....... the 350: 5W-50

Alternative Engine Oil for Extremely Cold Climates SAE 0W-20
To improve engine cold start performance,
If you're running the engine hard when the cold viscosity rating comes into play, you're doing it very, very wrong.

0W40 is a great option for a tracked car that is street driven still but needs more high rpm and high temp protection, and has been recommended by BillyJ as well. I'm so far quite impressed with its performance (M1 0w40).

mindo389

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 50th AY Appearance Pkg.
Vehicle Showcase
I tend to stay within the Ford specs as far as viscosity. I went with Mobil1 5w30 and the Ford oil filter. Walmart had the best prices. Amsoil had the best ratings and a high price to go with it. When I was studying for my master tech, I had to take a course on oils and lubricants. One section within this course dealt with oil additives. There are soaps and other enhancements added to the motor oil that assisted with dealing with acid reduction that naturally come with gasoline fumes and also to keep the internal components clean of sludge build up.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Yes Sir. Let em use their zero w whatever. Then the make thread about oil consumption problems and a bunch of other shit. Cheers.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you're running the engine hard when the cold viscosity rating comes into play, you're doing it very, very wrong.

0W40 is a great option for a tracked car that is street driven still but needs more high rpm and high temp protection, and has been recommended by BillyJ as well. I'm so far quite impressed with its performance (M1 0w40).

What moron runs a cold motor ??

Never heard of BillyJ must be famous, nor does it matter.
Sponsored