Fuel Pump "Grinding" Noise After BAP Install

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
Does anyone have any experience with their fuel pump making what I can best describe as a grinding/vibrating type noise after installing a BAP?

The main pump will make this noise for just a second or so when the ignition button is initially pressed (no foot on brake so no start), and then after the car starts, it will make the same noise for about 4 seconds. If I unplug/bypass the BAP, the fuel pump does not make this noise. My tuner did a tune revision that he said was to try and ramp in the BAP voltage later instead of being constant, but this made no difference. FWIW, it's an OEM 2018 pump...

I'm still working with my tuner on this, but wanted to see if any of you have had this experience and what was done to resolve it. I suspect the recommendation is going to be to replace the fuel pump and see if the issue persists.
Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
What BAP are you using? I dont have this with my DW400 pump and vortech constant BAP.

OP
OP
DRKHORS

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
What BAP are you using? I dont have this with my DW400 pump and vortech constant BAP.
It's the K2 sold by PBD. It's also a constant voltage BAP. Only went with it due to tuner recommendation, which they may obviously be biased.

Any thoughts on this possibly being caused by my basket being cut for a DW400? Installer put a DW400 in the car initially, but that pump appeared to be failing, so he replaced it with a spare 2018 pump he had available.

Jasonb543

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
Doesn't sound great... it's getting the voltage boost and it sounds like it's stripping.

My 535 sounds more like a laser beam.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
It's the K2 sold by PBD. It's also a constant voltage BAP. Only went with it due to tuner recommendation, which they may obviously be biased.

Any thoughts on this possibly being caused by my basket being cut for a DW400? Installer put a DW400 in the car initially, but that pump appeared to be failing, so he replaced it with a spare 2018 pump he had available.
Mine doesn't sound like that either. Stock pump with vmp bap. I think you may be on the right path about the modified basket causing the sound with the stock pump.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DRKHORS

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Doesn't sound great... it's getting the voltage boost and it sounds like it's stripping.

My 535 sounds more like a laser beam.
Yeah it's definitely not a pretty sound.

Mine doesn't sound like that either. Stock pump with vmp bap. I think you may be on the right path about the modified basket causing the sound with the stock pump.
Thanks.

Makes me really ponder on just going return system at this point. I really felt like this setup would get me by until I decided to go E85 or start to pulley down and then make that jump...

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Get a new dw400 imo. Mines been great at 770 rwhp on e50. Was on e85 but in cold weather it was losing pressure. Should be fine up to like 820 on e50.

OP
OP
DRKHORS

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Get a new dw400 imo. Mines been great at 770 rwhp on e50. Was on e85 but in cold weather it was losing pressure. Should be fine up to like 820 on e50.
Definitely an option to consider.

How long have you been running the DW400 with the BAP? Who are you tuned by?

I ask as my tuner has indicated they see more DW400 failures than they do stock pump failures. But I also know it's one of the more popular aftermarket pumps out there, and I haven't heard/seen too many complaining about failure rates, but I haven't looked too much either.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

all of those are the same bap just with some different stuff done.
Mine doesn't do it on constant voltage either.
Dunno if that's a bad pump or bad mounting or both

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely an option to consider.

How long have you been running the DW400 with the BAP? Who are you tuned by?

I ask as my tuner has indicated they see more DW400 failures than they do stock pump failures. But I also know it's one of the more popular aftermarket pumps out there, and I haven't heard/seen too many complaining about failure rates, but I haven't looked too much either.
Been running the dw400 and vortech constant BAP for 15 months about 17,000 miles. The shop that installed the DW400 did say they break and then repair a corrugated line on the dw400 for some reason, guess they know some trick. Its PBD tuned and install was rarefab.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DRKHORS

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
all of those are the same bap just with some different stuff done.
Mine doesn't do it on constant voltage either.
Dunno if that's a bad pump or bad mounting or both
I've wondered if they are the same pump and just rebranded. Same size, cooling fins, mounting holes, and wiring.

By bad mounting I assume you mean the fuel pump? What's odd is that the fuel pump doesn't do this without the BAP.

OP
OP
DRKHORS

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Been running the dw400 and vortech constant BAP for 15 months about 17,000 miles. The shop that installed the DW400 did say they break and then repair a corrugated line on the dw400 for some reason, guess they know some trick. Its PBD tuned and install was rarefab.
Thanks!

I have seen some issues with some of the lines/hoses in the basket coming loose or cracking.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I've wondered if they are the same pump and just rebranded. Same size, cooling fins, mounting holes, and wiring.

By bad mounting I assume you mean the fuel pump? What's odd is that the fuel pump doesn't do this without the BAP.
yea it would seem you need to put an Oscope on that bap's output to see if it's "dirty"
you might be able to see it with a multimeter if it is sensitive enough.
Sponsored