Sponsored

frs or ecoboost?

OldSkool65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FR-S
I'm 6'4" 230 and I tried to get in one at the autoshow.

I found I wanted to move the seat back about 4-6 inches more than the car would allow and I wanted to lean back in the seat more than was available. Head room seemed ok to me, but I'm not long-waisted. I like a small car, but the FR-S was too small inside for me. I don't like having my legs curled up and knees against the dashboard when I'm trying to drive.

I also couldn't stand having so little acceleration and such poor cornering ability. Sporty IMO has to include the ability to subject the driver to G forces.
Are you sure you had all of the seat positions maxed out ? The base FR-S seats lower as well as slide back. I have plenty of room. There are guys 6'7" driving this with no problem. It was designed to have room for the driver to be able to wear a helmet (and also the rear will hold four wheels/tires for track days).
The cornering is the best part if you like being low to the ground in a car that weighs a thousand pounds less than a mustang and is sling-able at moderate speeds. Go-cart vs sedan in feel. I'm sitting low and looking right at the road instead of over a long hood. The acceleration is fine for me on the street. You can't just step on the gas pedal like an auto v8 mustang. You need to work the powerband. 4-7K rpms deals out great response with a single occupant on a windy road with a MT.
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I'm 6'5" 220 and fit in my FR-S perfectly. It is low to the ground though, since it is a real sports car.
:doh:I stopped reading right here!

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Are you sure you had all of the seat positions maxed out ? The base FR-S seats lower as well as slide back. I have plenty of room. There are guys 6'7" driving this with no problem. It was designed to have room for the driver to be able to wear a helmet (and also the rear will hold four wheels/tires for track days).
The cornering is the best part if you like being low to the ground in a car that weighs a thousand pounds less than a mustang and is sling-able at moderate speeds. Go-cart vs sedan in feel. I'm sitting low and looking right at the road instead of over a long hood. The acceleration is fine for me on the street. You can't just step on the gas pedal like an auto v8 mustang. You need to work the powerband. 4-7K rpms deals out great response with a single occupant on a windy road with a MT.
The Ecoboost pulls close to the same lateral G's as the FRS around the skidpad and roadcourses, its heavier but well balanced due to the smaller engine up front. Not to mention when you start modding (why else would you consider either car) its see-you-later FRS. Those things are snacks on the road.

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
...Not to mention when you start modding (why else would you consider either car) its see-you-later FRS. Those things are snacks on the road.
To be fair, when you start modding both cars, it's see you later FRS on the straights (actually you don't even have to mod any of the mustangs to pull that off lol). Mod for mod suspension wise though, the twins will reel in any mustang around a corner.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
The Ecoboost pulls close to the same lateral G's as the FRS around the skidpad and roadcourses, its heavier but well balanced due to the smaller engine up front. Not to mention when you start modding (why else would you consider either car) its see-you-later FRS. Those things are snacks on the road.
To be fair, when you start modding both cars, it's see you later FRS on the straights (actually you don't even have to mod any of the mustangs to pull that off lol). Mod for mod suspension wise though, the twins will reel in any mustang around a corner.
A few simple cheap things like a good set of springs and maybe swaybars will have you keeping pace with the twins around all but the tightest of Autocross circuits. and still have some room to meet the MSRP of one of them.

Ford did make the suspension lean more to the comfort cruising side of things knowing it would appeal to a larger audience and those of us who are inclined would turn to the aftermarket regardless of what they could get away with offering stock.

The GT86 I drove didn't seem like it left much on the table to be exploited, there certainly wasn't much ride comfort or height to trade in for sure.

Sponsored

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
A few simple cheap things like a good set of springs and maybe swaybars will have you keeping pace with the twins around all but the tightest of Autocross circuits. and still have some room to meet the MSRP of one of them.
Not sure I agree with that, from a basic physics standpoint. Mod for mod like I said, if you upgrade both the Eco and FRS with springs and sways, put them on the same tire, then I see absolutely no way that the mustang would handle better than the FRS around a slalom. The extra near 1,000lbs can't be discounted. Comfort is of course another story, there's little of that to be found in the twins.

Of course I have no actual proof of this, but it makes sense in my head...

I also autocrossed a modded BRZ for 2 seasons, and the mustang is very good, but not as sharp.

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
I enjoy everyday driver videos, funny thou I usually agree with the one guy and not the other. Reminds me of how my brother and I look at cars differently.

I would pick of those four: 1) EBM (obviously) 2)WRX 3)Focus ST 4)FRS

Can't believe I'd pick a FWD car over a RWD one, but yeah there it is.
The MK7 GTI with DSG/performance package and the Fiesta ST are the most impressive front driver's I've experienced. The Focus ST did nothing for me. Never drove the FRS/BRZ.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Not sure I agree with that, from a basic physics standpoint. Mod for mod like I said, if you upgrade both the Eco and FRS with springs and sways, put them on the same tire, then I see absolutely no way that the mustang would handle better than the FRS around a slalom. The extra near 1,000lbs can't be discounted. Comfort is of course another story, there's little of that to be found in the twins.

Of course I have no actual proof of this, but it makes sense in my head...

I also autocrossed a modded BRZ for 2 seasons, and the mustang is very good, but not as sharp.
I agree and disagree with you, take a modded Ecoboost and a modded FRS and I can almost guarantee you, any track where the FRS would win, would have to be so tight the FRS would beat a GT350 on it.

On anything that is not a parking lot full of cones with 0 straight lines, it will get it's ass handed to it.

I enjoyed driving it, but the FRS is already pretty buttoned up from the factory, One of my biggest complaints was the harsh ride, I'd hate to drive any distance in one set up to be even more hard core.

Finally where I live in Germany, the FRS does not sell very well because lets face it, in the Land of unlimited autobahns, an aggressive and good looking sporty coupe with only 200 hp is a set up for hurt feelings. All the handling in the world does you no good.

You know where I never see the FRS? In the fast lane of an unlimited Autobahn, because going there In a Coupe is like throwing up a big ol' "come at me bro" at every BMW, Merc, Audi and whatever else that sees you. They are all cruising in the slow lane acting like they are not interested.

It's too bad because I really, really wanted to like this car, but I'm not spending close to 30k for something where the only thing I can out run on the autobahn are base model Golfs.

Last edited:

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
It's too bad because I really, really wanted to like this car, but I'm not spending close to 30k for something where the only thing I can out run on the autobahn are base model Golfs.
Yeah, around a legit track, it would take a well prepped FRS to likely beat even a stock mustang.

My ideal car though, would be this: :D

If only I had the money for that swap kit...

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
FRS is in the same boat as the miata. No power, but it really isn't about that. They're about fun to drive, not fast to drive.

I guarantee a lot of you would end up having more fun on a curvy backroad in a BRZ/FRS than a non-PP GT or non-PP EB. You just have to give it a chance.

Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Yeah, around a legit track, it would take a well prepped FRS to likely beat even a stock mustang.

My ideal car though, would be this: :D

If only I had the money for that swap kit...
Now that is sick! Would have solved my biggest complaint with the car.

FRS is in the same boat as the miata. No power, but it really isn't about that. They're about fun to drive, not fast to drive.

I guarantee a lot of you would end up having more fun on a curvy backroad in a BRZ/FRS than a non-PP GT or non-PP EB. You just have to give it a chance.
Believe me, I gave it more than it's fair share of consideration, I have been a JDM guy since I got my drivers licence, It was hard for me to overcome my stigmas and move over. While I admit that the FRS was fun on a twisty back road and I could get it to step out alot more progressively than the Mustang, but that was the problem the thing just likes to get loose everywhere. it's controllable but a bit scary just the same.

I am by no means a professional driver and at my intermediate skill level I can cover the same patch of tarmac faster in the EBM. Someone with the skill to drive both at the absolute limit will probably enjoy the control of the FRS more but at 8/10ths like most of us are ever as likely to get. the EBM just smokes the FRS.

I said it in an earlier post, after enjoying the nice twisty roads in the German National State Forrest wonderfully close to where I live, I was enjoying the car and telling myself I could live with the harsh ride, Lack of sound deadening, somewhat cramped cabin and sometimes scary tendency to drift when you didn't want to. I merged on the autobahn to begin driving back to the dealer, got in the fast lane and had a Ford S Max roll up on my ass, The fact that it took me well into the triple digits to start putting space on it just killed the car for me.

If they would make it with the STI's engine (305hp 290tq) and appropriate tires. I may have gotten one. Only problem is then it probably would cost more than a GT premium.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP

I agree. While my GT PP with some suspension mods is worlds faster, and I absolutely love the v8 burble, I had just as much fun in my UEL header + catback E85 tuned brz. I loved that car and the way it sounded too. They're both equal amounts of fun, just in different ways. :cheers:

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
That, and 305 slicks fit at all four corners without fender flares if you do it right. Good luck fitting that under a stock bodied frs...

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Want an opinion from someone who owned a modded FR-S for almost 3 years? I had KW V3 coilovers and 245/35 tires on Enkei RP03 wheels, header, exhaust, intake, tuned, with a Five Axis Body kit.

Get the Ecoboost. Turbocharging an FR-S is a $10,000 investment and has no warranty. Plenty of them for sale too boosted without the problems listed and the car has heat problems with front mounted turbos.

That being said, the Ecoboost is a warrantied car with a good turbo and power. The FR-S will take it out in cornering because of the weight difference and balance, but you will eventually be hungering for more power driving the FR-S in practical situations.

You'll have that conversation at the gas station a lot. People will walk up to you and say, "How fast is that car?". I constantly had to say, it's fast on a track with corners, but I lose everywhere else. Sure, it looks fast and does look pretty awesome. If every day was driven on a windy road, the FR-S would be insanely fun.

Want my real honest opinion? Save up a little more and get a GT Premium. It's V8 or nothing for me at this point. The sound, the feel, and the torque being naturally aspirated makes for great fun and easier maintenance as well. I've never owned a turbo engine before, but I know they take a little TLC with oil and idling to let temperatures settle before turning off your car.
Sponsored