Sponsored

frs or ecoboost?

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
With the performance pack the Ecoboost will pull very close to the same lateral G's as a Toyobaru and it will still be less expensive out the door. Even a good set of tires and springs would do it. Powerwise the FRS is severely outgunned. It would need a full bolt-on, and maybe an E85 tune to even keep from being dusted merging onto freeway speeds. The Stang is the heavier car but also the safer one according to the IIHS.

At their current price points, I believe it is a no brainer what the better buy is. And even if the Twins were priced 5K LOWER, I would still have a hard time seeing where the money was going. The damn car has just always been overpriced. The key here is to find a used one for dirt cheap, throw the flat-4 off the side of a boat and and do a motor swap (LS or 2J) then you will have a car
Sponsored

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
Don't mean to revive an old thread but it's a similar topic

I am looking at a BRZ or a v6/eco stang MT. Can anyone steer me one way or the other? I don't intend to track the car. Only use it as a DD. I am not that big of a gearhead. I like to get moving, but usually hover around the speed limit even though 90% of the cars on the road are going 10+ over. What turns me off about the eco is the premium fuel. Does the performance package make much of a difference? Would I even want it if chances of me tracking are highly unlikely?

You may ask why BRZ is even an option? I fell in love with the brz because it's a MT RWD. It is looks awesome and got caught up in the romantics of the "driver's car". I'd jump on the miata if it had two more seats. It's also not as common as a stang.

Reading the thread, it sounds like the V6 may be for me. But low end torque of the eco sounds nice, but premium. I have a hard time stomaching 60 cents more per gallon on premium.

I am coming from a v6 oldsmobile intrigue. Got almost 175k miles on that baby. Time to upgrade.
ignore the rear seats of the brz. they are completely and utterly useless. you can't really fit a car seat back there (only specific models fit), and you will never fit someone over 4' in the back if someone 5'2" is in the front. they exist to lower insurance rates. That's it.

The BRZ also requires premium fuel.

if you're not a "gearhead" or interested in tracking or autocross, you won't like the brz. that is specifically the target audience it was made for. I had a e85 full bolt on brz for over a year. I absolutely loved everything about the car, but it needed more power even then for me to be 100% happy, and i'm not going to FI a NA engine on my DD. It was spectacular at autocross, something my GT (even with PP) isn't really. with an 86 I was able to post better times than many corvettes at autocross quite regularly. Around town it will be more enjoyable to drive I think than a base ecoboost. My coworker has one and I was honestly never impressed. It just felt floaty and besides the punch of torque from the turbo, didn't feel much faster at all than my brz. Maybe the performance pack will firm it up more. I know on my GT PP it is pretty firm. but around town the 86 is fine unless you're stoplight racing everything in sight. You'll really need to drive both. You want a comfortable cruiser with power, I think the EB will fit the bill very nicely, and if you ever want more it gets insane power boosts from tunes. You want a small, nimble car that you can DD? The 86 twins fit the bill. I got a 2015 brz limited 6mt for 26OTD, deals can be had if you haggle. I personally would have never traded my brz in on anything other than a v8, but that's just me.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT

Hyrax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Intrigue
ignore the rear seats of the brz. they are completely and utterly useless. you can't really fit a car seat back there (only specific models fit), and you will never fit someone over 4' in the back if someone 5'2" is in the front. they exist to lower insurance rates. That's it.

The BRZ also requires premium fuel.

if you're not a "gearhead" or interested in tracking or autocross, you won't like the brz. that is specifically the target audience it was made for. I had a e85 full bolt on brz for over a year. I absolutely loved everything about the car, but it needed more power even then for me to be 100% happy, and i'm not going to FI a NA engine on my DD. It was spectacular at autocross, something my GT (even with PP) isn't really. with an 86 I was able to post better times than many corvettes at autocross quite regularly. Around town it will be more enjoyable to drive I think than a base ecoboost. My coworker has one and I was honestly never impressed. It just felt floaty and besides the punch of torque from the turbo, didn't feel much faster at all than my brz. Maybe the performance pack will firm it up more. I know on my GT PP it is pretty firm. but around town the 86 is fine unless you're stoplight racing everything in sight. You'll really need to drive both. You want a comfortable cruiser with power, I think the EB will fit the bill very nicely, and if you ever want more it gets insane power boosts from tunes. You want a small, nimble car that you can DD? The 86 twins fit the bill. I got a 2015 brz limited 6mt for 26OTD, deals can be had if you haggle. I personally would have never traded my brz in on anything other than a v8, but that's just me.
I need to see the seats to make a judgement. I rarely have one other person in the car let alone multiple. Why do the back seats lower insurance rates? It seems counterintuitive. More seats means more passengers potentially getting hurt.

I've known ~15 FRS owners.

None of them kept it for over a year. It NEEDS more power. It won't satisfy you if you're looking for a sports car. If you want something that's fun to throw around a corner, then sure! But if you want to accelerate out of the corner? ...nope.

Just look at the torque curve for one. http://www.ddperformanceresearch.co...tock tuned FRS vs modded DDPR custom tune.jpg
If you rev it to the redline before shifting to each gear, can you bypass that torque dip?

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I need to see the seats to make a judgement. I rarely have one other person in the car let alone multiple. Why do the back seats lower insurance rates? It seems counterintuitive. More seats means more passengers potentially getting hurt.

If you rev it to the redline before shifting to each gear, can you bypass that torque dip?

If you're 6' or over the back of your front seat will touch the front of the back seat. 2 seat sports cars are more expensive to insure than cars with 4 seats.

Also, yes it will bypass the dip. Most headers will also get rid of the dip. Most unequal length headers give it the wrx rumble and give it a flat tq curve.

Sponsored

Newedge713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 ford mustang hatchback
For one the car slow as heck yea i know you can add after market mods another thing is small on the inside i had push the seat all the way back idk to me the car not worth the time

BigGuy81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Premium
I used to own an EB and have driven the FR-S on numerous occasions.

The FR-S is dramatically better at handling, has much better steering, and is much more fun to drive about 90% of the time. The Ecoboost has a better interior and is more enjoyable on the highway. Unfortunately, the EB just feels fat and bloated, and the PP suspension is kind of crap. If you go auto, the AT in the FR-S shifts much faster and is more willing to allow you to have fun than the AT in the EB. The paddles in the FR-S are also actually useful, unlike the unresponsive ones in the EB.

rgingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 2.3T/Auto/50-yr/FRT
Your comments about being a good handler for the FRS are esentially correct.... most agree that the FRS/BRZs are great for drifting fun and low-speed scooting about. Having test-driven both, however, I have to go with the turbo for sheer power (big difference in HP/torque for EB over twins) and a far more comfortable and quiet ride like for on a trip. As far as value, the Mustang 6 or turbo gives more value (more bang-for-the-buck). I disagree with the comments on the AT.... in "Sport+ Mode", the AT in the 'Stang is a real blast (and not just at the lower speeds). IMHO, overall, both good, just different tastes in buyers.

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
Lets be real here, if you are talking about handling, and sportiness, why are you talking about the AT?

The AT in both is fairly garbage compared to the latest gen of AT's (ZF8 anyone?)

Now lets get to handling, where the FR-S communicates a bit more through the steering, but gives up a lot of grip on the eco overall. The S550 chassis is leaps and bounds above the fr-s, but subie put more work into the spring/shock/sway setup on both the twins. Once you warm up the stock pirelli's on the stangs, there isn't even a contest vs the economy rubber on the BRZ/FR-S. Once you swap the rubber on the FR-S, you need to upgrade everything else in the suspension, so not really a good option for most.

eh, my .02... Also, if I wrecked my eco today, I would need a car off a lot fast. Considering the order and wait process for the exact car I wanted from ford (none in the US at the time), I would probably walk into a subie dealership and walk out with a BRZ.

J_MENIS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I went from a 2013 BRZ to a 2015 Eco PP. I loved the BRZ, it was fun to drive. But it would not pick up speed for anything. I enjoyed the responsive steering and being close to the ground but it was not worth it to me. Also after driving my mustang then hopping in my friends FRS. Interior is just bad. And the FRS seats are hard, and not as comfortable as I used to think.

Sponsored

Pnasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Ruby
I'm amazed this is even a comparison... toyoburu's look and feel like they were made by fisher-price. mustangs in general are a whole different breed. I would only consider one if I had a daughter that just got her drivers license. This is coming from someone who has no brand/class loyalty at all, I came from a 335i, before that a silverado lifted 9'', and before that an expedition on 24's and all that nonsense.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm amazed this is even a comparison... toyoburu's look and feel like they were made by fisher-price. mustangs in general are a whole different breed. I would only consider one if I had a daughter that just got her drivers license. This is coming from someone who has no brand/class loyalty at all, I came from a 335i, before that a silverado lifted 9'', and before that an expedition on 24's and all that nonsense.

I respectfully disagree with you. I have a 15gt premium/ performance pack and my brz was just as well made and the fit and finish was just as good. The 86's are special cars that are super fun to drive. Nothing "fisher price" about them IMO.

Pnasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Ruby
I respectfully disagree with you. I have a 15gt premium/ performance pack and my brz was just as well made and the fit and finish was just as good. The 86's are special cars that are super fun to drive. Nothing "fisher price" about them IMO.
well, agree to disagree. Not only did it feel cheap but like everyone else said it is extremely underpowered. I wouldn't say they deserve to be classified as a sports car at all, it just happens to be a coupe. IMO its just an econo-box with a fun "sporty" design, which is fine but people try to make it something its not.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not everything has to be a 400hp monster ;) I agree more power would be nice, but they're pretty much the classic definition of sports cars. Is a Miata not a sports car either then?

Pnasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Ruby
Not everything has to be a 400hp monster ;) I agree more power would be nice, but they're pretty much the classic definition of sports cars. Is a Miata not a sports car either then?
I guess I should rephrase, Its not what I look for in a sports car. I personally would not consider a miata if I wanted a sports car. Maybe modified highly or for strictly track duty.
Edit: I guess both of us should also consider I live in Florida, the land of never ending straight roads
Sponsored