Sponsored

FRPP Blackout Panel - Dimples normal..?

Red Turtle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I ordered a panel from CJ Ponyparts and arrived with a large dimple in the panel. This is not a small dot or even an something centered in the panel but was told this is normal from the manufacturing process.

Anyone one else have one and have this dimple that is supposedly standard with all pieces?

Sponsored

Last edited:

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
Yeah seems to be normal. It's all over the forum.

ConqSoft

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Premium Vert, '16 428xi M Sport Vert
OP
OP

Red Turtle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT

Sponsored

OP
OP

Red Turtle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
The last time I brought it up, CJ Pony posted and said that was only on the early examples they had sold and that all current ones are smooth and without dimples. Sounds like that was not accurate. Sorry to hear.

Here's where they stated that: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1019019&postcount=15
I got an email back saying it is normal part of manufacturing process but I could return and buy the carbon fiber option which would not have these...?

To make matters worse, this must have been returned at one time as the staples were not holding the ford box shut and packing tape was used to secure lid of box. It is obvious that this seemed to been returned prior.

Xantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Accord Touring
I ordered a panel from CJ Ponyparts and arrived with a large dimple in the panel...
... To make matters worse, this must have been returned at one time as the staples were not holding the ford box shut and packing tape was used to secure lid of box. It is obvious that this seemed to been returned prior.
That is not acceptable at all IMO. I would send it back.

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
I've had two. I returned the first one and the second one had the dimples as well. That's about the time CJP updated their website many months ago to say it was normal. I have a third one on the way for a new project and I suspect it will have the dimple as well.

rainier446

Professional Amateur Tech
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
'15 OW GT/PP
That's weird, mine doesn't have any dimples at all and was one of the first things I did to the car...I hate badges.

D.Brown

Save the Manuels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
15' GT
Mine has a very small dimple that is not noticeable.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Red Turtle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
This is the size of an eraser, not centered vertically or horizontally and very visible from any angle.

I could live with two centering dots for a badge on a blank production panel.

Xantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Accord Touring
This is the size of an eraser, not centered vertically or horizontally and very visible from any angle.

I could live with two centering dots for a badge on a blank production panel.
Exactly, if it's gonna come with imperfections you might as well just keep the one you have.

Trappen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost premium
Those dimples are cause by injection molding sink. It happens most commonly with inconsistent wall thickness of the part or uneven pressure and temperature. Basically the outer "skin" of the piece cools before the inner core cause this to happen. So unless they fix their mold and process it will remain on the pieces. Of course QC issues may allow some to pass by according to tolerances that are set by the manufacturer and client.

So unless they address the issues with the facility producing the parts it will be on most if not all parts.
Sponsored