Sponsored

front tire wear question

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I have a similar question but I'd rather not start a new thread.

I'm about to swap to my summer set on my 19' pp1 when I noticed one of the fronts is wearing unevenly on the inside. The other is fine. What puzzles me is the winter tires (which are directional so I figured I'd narrow down which side) are not showing the same wear. Both inside and outside are wearing evenly for all four. I also had my alignment done last year and they said it was fine.

It's obvious just by looking but I used a tread depth gauge as well. The car has 24k on it and I'd guess around 15k of that is on the summer set. I wonder if this goes along with the design issue mentioned.

I'm no expert but I think this tire is shot. Unless someone thinks it could have some life left.
20220410_160857.jpg
20220410_160906.jpg
I’d challenge the shop that did the alignment. Their definition of fine is subjective at best.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Run it down to the wear bars if you want.
I’d challenge the shop that did the alignment. Their definition of fine is subjective at best.
I'm just taking it somewhere else. There's a performance shop, near me, that I never knew existed and seems to have good reviews. The only defense I can muster on their behalf, not that they're owed one, is that the winter tires aren't showing the same issue.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I'm just taking it somewhere else. There's a performance shop, near me, that I never knew existed and seems to have good reviews. The only defense I can muster on their behalf, not that they're owed one, is that the winter tires aren't showing the same issue.
Winter.
Cold asphalt, cold tires, snow, sleet, slush, rain to lube everything up = less wear vs. hot sticky asphalt with hot and sticky summer tires grinding away.

OP
OP
JCN

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT, 14 F150, 23 F150
right in the middle of the pic, is that the cord pattern showing through? That sucks but I'd be nervous about pushing that tire to hard. depending on driving habits you might get a few miles out of it.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Again, we see this all the time with the MP4S. Its mostly a tire issue. Honestly I’ve had 3 or 4 sets of michellins on this car and they’ve all shown that pattern.

Check your toe, or dial a smidge of toe-in so the dynamic toe is maybe zero, but its mostly a tire issue. IIRC they have a mileage warranty but these ususly last just long enough to clear that.

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
right in the middle of the pic, is that the cord pattern showing through? That sucks but I'd be nervous about pushing that tire to hard. depending on driving habits you might get a few miles out of it.
That's what it looks like. I need to look around but tirerack is showing over a month wait for the ps4s

Again, we see this all the time with the MP4S. Its mostly a tire issue. Honestly I’ve had 3 or 4 sets of michellins on this car and they’ve all shown that pattern.

Check your toe, or dial a smidge of toe-in so the dynamic toe is maybe zero, but its mostly a tire issue. IIRC they have a mileage warranty but these ususly last just long enough to clear that.
It's within the year/mileage but I'd be surprised if it wasn't denied due to mechanical issue.

Is there a good alternative to the ps4s? Daily driver with no track duty so I could get by on anything but I like hooking up when I do want to put my foot down.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Continental ECS is probably the next closest

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
I too have the same issue. Seeing as to how bad shocks can cause this scalloping as well could it be that the stock shocks can’t keep up with the weight of the performance pack wheels?

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JCN Go 0.0 front toe or as close as possible. Twist the arm of your shop to hold these spec’s.

AA3E615C-918A-4F21-B100-36A646ED6985.jpeg
Looking at this. Wouldn’t more camber than what it comes with up front hurt this issue?

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Looking at this. Wouldn’t more camber than what it comes with up front hurt this issue?
It’s all in the Toe setting. I run as close to 0.0 as possible.
There’s an excellent thread several years back covering this setup and even more suggestions and positive feedback.

Sponsored

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s all in the Toe setting. I run as close to 0.0 as possible.
There’s an excellent thread several years back covering this setup and even more suggestions and positive feedback.
got it I googled the types of wear. I do see some pics where toe gives the issue I currently have

OP
OP
JCN

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT, 14 F150, 23 F150
depends on how you say it! I'm looking at trying a little less neg. camber and straight up or slight toe in, but this is all a guessing game till I see where it sits now and that won't be till the 3rd. The more I hurry the slower I go!

phatsesh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 convertible GT
My 2017 gt pp has negative camber just out of spec. Alignment guy said he can adjust toe to lessen damage to inside of tire but would need camber bolts or plates to get it back within spec. He also said that keeping spec would result in inside tire wear

Jroy333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
I am having the same issue where I just started noticing this happening and I need to get a Virginia inspection in July. Y’all think I would pass? Lol. Still 6.5/32” tread left

tabin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mondeo 2016
Hi

I posted in other thread but moving my question here as it seems you guys also have similar problem.

I have GT MY2019 EUR version (bought new), 35k miles driven so far, and I change my tyres every season. Summer tyres are pilot sport 4s which came with a car. I don't track my car at all. Last time I changed from summer to winter in November 2021 and the mechanic showed me the issue - both of the front tyres have inner edge uneven. It's not nice and curvy but it became many upper and lower segments. I learned it's called "cupping" in English. I attached some photos. Rear tyres are all good. The tangible effect of this phenomenon is mostly noticable when I slow down (parking, approching the junction etc.) then I hear deep sound (sounds like woof, woof, woof) with every wheel rotation, like the tyre rubs agains something, but no rubbing evidence on the tyres. Nothing happens during higher speeds. After change to winter ones this sound went away. Dealership took a look and said suspension is fine, geometry was off but just a little bit. Can this happen because of wrong wheel balancing during the previous tyre change? Or maybe it's magnaride problem? Maybe to much or not enough inflation? Can I use these tyres again or they are rubbish niow and have to be replaced. If replaced I think about Falken Azenkis FK510, does anybody has any opinion on them? Thanks :)

DSC_2254_edited.jpg

DSC_2257_edited.jpg

DSC_2264_edited.jpg

DSC_2270_edited.jpg

DSC_2266_edited.jpg
Sponsored