Sponsored

Front Splitter

chase99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Raptor
Any issues or concerns to think about with driving the car home without the front splitter installed?
Thanks!
Sponsored

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
I have been driving it for 3 days now without it on. I wondered the same thing but couldn't think of any reason it could do any harm, especially during breakin period. I am leaving mine off till my headlights, turn signals and shelby decals come in.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Be very careful not to scrape anything. Yes, you can do great harm. If you damage the female tabs that the male splitter tabs connect to, you'd have to replace the whole bumper fascia.... Which means you would have to have it primed, paint matched, and painted.

Unless you are sure you won't scrape, install the splitter ASAP

Oh, and to add insult to injury, try pricing the vinyl stripes if you have them....

Edited to add:
If you have painted on stripes, install that splitter immediately and hope you didn't F those tabs up.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
YES if you scrape or damage the front bumper/fascia then your into painted parts which isn't good. Does anyone have the part number and prices for the front splitter?

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Very good point, Tom, and the two main reasons I wanted the Ford tech to install them the day of delivery. I had viewed Earl's PDF and thought there's a really good chance I'd screw something up. :-) Better to let Ford duit.

But being ultra-conservative, I didn't want to drive her home without that front "rock guard" to protect the stripes.

Tabs: I didn't see any broken tabs when I installed the SlipLo pieces but after your comment, I'm gonna check more closely next time she's up in the air.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
YES if you scrape or damage the front bumper/fascia then your into painted parts which isn't good. Does anyone have the part number and prices for the front splitter?
I no kidding wouldnt drive the car until you put the splitter on. Everyone has a bad day and if you scrape the tabs off, you are hosed.

Edited to add:

I will drive mine home with no splitter. I have lots of corrosion mitigation to perform thanks to our good friends at Penske and Ford. Once the car is good, the belly pan will go back on and the splitter will be installed immediately.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Very good point, Tom, and the two main reasons I wanted the Ford tech to install them the day of delivery. I had viewed Earl's PDF and thought there's a really good chance I'd screw something up. :-) Better to let Ford duit.

But being ultra-conservative, I didn't want to drive her home without that front "rock guard" to protect the stripes.

Tabs: I didn't see any broken tabs when I installed the SlipLo pieces but after your comment, I'm gonna check more closely next time she's up in the air.
If you want it screwed up, better let ford duit.

Snakebite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
If you want it screwed up, better let ford duit.
I installed my splitter after the car was delivered to my home. Full disclosure, the instructions are underwhelming at best.

There is a "note" on the install instructions: "Although not required, removal of Belly Pan for installation of the upper splitter will improve ease of installation."

IMO, this is a must do to prevent breaking the tabs. Do not risk it.

If anyone needs specific advice, hit me up, I'd be happy to help. I took tons of pics and documented the process.

One quick tip in advance...if you are installing side wickers, do it at the same time as installing the splitter. If not, you will be removing 8 bolts (W706603-S450B) that you just installed for the front splitter.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Well, you agreed to have them build you a car, Tom. :-) That's pretty trustworthy, eh?
Im talking about Fords notorious service departments at the various dealerships.

Edited to add: The very same ones who you trust to install your splitter

Last edited:

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I'm with Tom on this one. If anything, doing it yourself will put you in touch with your car. Much preferred over a Tech that is typically in a bit of a hurry to get it done.