Front Splitter Concerns

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I am going through the same conundrum. Have the APR splitter. Shop did not mount the support rods to the crash bar. Also, they didn't mount it right to make it sit flush - there no bolts in the front-middle of the splitter and the nonPP belly pan also interferes giving the splitter a positive angle of attack. About to remove my bumper to try to fix.

I'm not sure if I am going to keep it or take it off. I am not handy enough probably to go through mounting the rods to the crash bar. I'm thinking maybe I should just get the Cali Special splitter or the Ebay splitter referred to above. I won't get the downforce but at least it'll look cool and I won't have to worry about it ripping off at high speed.

But then again, I don't do top speed runs. Just spirited street driving and the occasional track/autocross day so maybe its not a concern for me. Or is it?
Sponsored

LarsenGrind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lars
Vehicle(s)
2017 Euro-Spec GT
I had the APR carbon splitter on mine for a while ~ 2 years. I had it secured to every point imaginable under my belly pan and added additional spacers (wider) under the lip of the bumper to ensure the tiny spacers they give you did not rip through. Everything was fine until...

Finally got to a place where I could really get on it after I switched to E85...Also known as a long frontage road with not entry or exit for ~3 miles :) At 160 I thought I lost my motor, so did my buddy who was running next to me. Pulled over immediately as all my warning lights never came on and the car still drove fine. Besides what looked like smoke dumping out of my front end. The splitter ripped the underside of my bumper off and pealed the belly pan off its mounting points ; lucky for me the smoke was dust the splitter was scraping up from the concrete.

Lesson...if you go APR make sure 100% you have that secured to the metal support in the bumper (crash bar) or do not put it on. If you ever decide to get above 150 and it is not, expect it to scare the shit out of you....
Sorry to hear that You had this experience. Skecthy as hell. Glad nothing happened.
I also have the APR carbon splitter with rods on my GT.
Two months ago I did 2000 kilometers down on the Autobahn i Germany. North to south and back up again over a weekend with some friends.
I had the car over 250 kph multible times, and it topped out at 265. I had zero issues with the splitter, and the rods are just mounted to the front bumper just over the lover grill.

Last edited:

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I spoke with APR about this and their reply was it was not designed for sustained, high speed runs. It was designed for road course where you may occasionally touch 140 or 150. I've concluded that unless you mount the rods to the actual crash bar you are not safe. There are two holes in the splitter which are made for you to put a bolt through to the rails of the radiator support.

Long story short I removed mine. The shop that did it used all the wrong mounting points and I would've had to drill out every hole again to make it fit right. Then there's the potential issue down the road for it to affect the bumper integrity. If you're so inclined please my advice is to mount the rods to crash bar and also use the aforementioned frame rails for the radiator support. It was too much of a hassle and I decided to go in a different direction. I realized I don't really need added downforce. Just something to look good, fit right and not be a PITA.

IMHO this is a functional piece and not to be trifled with unless you know what you are doing or you just buy it for looks and don't intend of using it for high speeds runs.

5-PT-OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Question for all.

Would mounting the supports that come with the Roush splitter and lower grill work to support the APR splitter in lieu of the splitter rods?

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Question for all.

Would mounting the supports that come with the Roush splitter and lower grill work to support the APR splitter in lieu of the splitter rods?
Depends what your goal is. If you're building more of a show car, then they will probably work fine. If you are going for functionality and intend to track your car, I wouldn't use anything other than chassis mounted support rods.

Sponsored

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
I got the Scott Drake front splitter for PP cars. While it is described as applicable to both GT and EB PP cars, I can attest to the fact that it does not simply bolt on to a EB PP car. None of the holes lined up. Not sure why that is. The front chin spoilers on both GT and EB PP look the same from the outside. But apparently there are differences. I'm going to still use it, but I did my own mounting configuration, with many more attachment points to the chin spoiler (see below). However, looking at it, it seems to stick out a bit further than what it does on a GT PP. Since I use this car for some HPDE, at a long track (Road America), speeds will exceed 130 MPH. I don't see the splitter ever departing from the chin spoiler, but I am a bit concerned that the splitter/chin spoiler combo could part ways with the bumper cover. I was hoping to avoid support rods, but will install them if absolutely necessary.

I guess my question is this: Has anyone used the Scott Drake front splitter, without support rods, for HPDE events? And is your chin spoiler and front bumper still intact???
PXL_20220317_151151506.jpg
PXL_20220317_150912246.jpg

Massih408

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT PP
Has anyone tried to put the PP2 splitter on a 2015 PP GT? It seems like it would fit to me

x2SL1CKx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
21 gt pp1 (antimatter blue)
I went with the most expensive option.
2 piece oem chin spoiler and splitter for pp2 installed on my pp1! It's the nicest and cleanest imo...

My biggest concern was pretty much everything everyone inhread has dealt with. Holes not lining up, sticking out too far,

I Didn't want rods and I wanted install to go smooth! No bumber removal required, no drilling and everything lined up perfect!

Both are very strong and came with good instructions!

Someone once told me "cheap splitters aren't good and good splitters aren't cheap"! Something to think about when considering all options!

20221212_091817.jpg

Temovic55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500 2014, ROUSH II 2018
Vehicle Showcase
I just did my own version of combining the Scott Drake front splitter along with the GT500 Lower Front Chin Splitter Side Wickers! Along with the factory ROUSH front lip.

IMG_20221122_234947edited.jpg

IMG-20230209-WA0002editied.jpeg
Sponsored