Front brakes suck.

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
Title says it all. Stock EB non-PP brakes are garbage. I have 30k on them, full fluid, semi-acceptable pedal solidity, squeaking and approximately 15% pad wear left. I've read that they're garbage and sure, my car was a rental beforehand so it was probably abused, but (projecting) 35k out of front pads? That seems very low. Local dealer has a good offer for pads and machine rotors, worth it to use OEM again?
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Title says it all. Stock EB non-PP brakes are garbage. I have 30k on them, full fluid, semi-acceptable pedal solidity, squeaking and approximately 15% pad wear left. I've read that they're garbage and sure, my car was a rental beforehand so it was probably abused, but (projecting) 35k out of front pads? That seems very low. Local dealer has a good offer for pads and machine rotors, worth it to use OEM again?
I'm sorry but you bought a rental with original pads and rotors, acknowledge that the car was more than likely beat on (no great surprise there) and then you rag on Ford for bad brakes. I traded in my 15' EB at 51K with all original standard brakes. I'm not easy on brakes and the still had life in them. There is nothing wrong with OEM parts if you want to go that way. If you still concerned go aftermarket. There is plenty out there.

SAY WHAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt
If you are looking to upgrade to the Ecoboost pp brakes/gt brakes let me know.
I have a set that I took off my car. Id include the original rotors and pads that have about 15k miles on them. I also have the power stop rotors and pads that have about 30k still some life, but id replace them.

OP
OP
Reddirocket27

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
So, stick with OEM?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
So, stick with OEM?
You're kvetching over a $100 bill for pads over the course of what 3+ years?!?!

Short of road course work, swap out the rotors and calipers for the EB/PP (same as GT) brakes up front. You can get them very cheaply from members or ebay.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Reddirocket27

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
You're kvetching over a $100 bill for pads over the course of what 3+ years?!?!

Short of road course work, swap out the rotors and calipers for the EB/PP (same as GT) brakes up front. You can get them very cheaply from members or ebay.
I'm not upset at all about replacement price, more on the lifespan. As noted, I recognize 30k probably isn't normal, and that they were most likely beaten on. I'm asking is OEM acceptable for street use or just upgrade the pads and call it a day?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
for street use the rotors/calipers are "fine". My V6 had them. That said I appreciate having the 6-pot brembo on both my EB and GT. The 4-pots were plenty capable but I wanted consistency/compatibility between my 2 cars so went with 6-pots.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I'm not upset at all about replacement price, more on the lifespan. As noted, I recognize 30k probably isn't normal, and that they were most likely beaten on. I'm asking is OEM acceptable for street use or just upgrade the pads and call it a day?
OEM is just fine but, as others have said, upgrading is easy. Power Stop has a few different kits to choose from.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7472000

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Depends. The non PP EB calipers I thought were 2 piston? The base GT calipers are 4 piston and the PP calipers are 6 piston. I upgraded my '17 V6 Mustang to the 4 piston base GT calipers / rotors (new brake hoses are needed) and it was probably one of the best bang for the buck mods I've done to any vehicle in quite a while.

My wife's '17 EB Prem ragtop (former rental car) has @ 55K on it (we've owned it over 3 years) and the last time I did oil change and tire rotation I couldn't believe how much pad was left on the front........

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Depends. The non PP EB calipers I thought were 2 piston? The base GT calipers are 4 piston and the PP calipers are 6 piston. I upgraded my '17 V6 Mustang to the 4 piston base GT calipers / rotors (new brake hoses are needed) and it was probably one of the best bang for the buck mods I've done to any vehicle in quite a while.

My wife's '17 EB Prem ragtop (former rental car) has @ 55K on it (we've owned it over 3 years) and the last time I did oil change and tire rotation I couldn't believe how much pad was left on the front........
Doesn't really depend. There is nothing wrong with the 2 pots for day to day driving. Are the 4 pots better? Well of course. OP isn't complaining about stopping power, he is complaining about pad life. I'll bet with a new set of OEM pad he will be very happy.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't really depend. There is nothing wrong with the 2 pots for day to day driving. Are the 4 pots better? Well of course. OP isn't complaining about stopping power, he is complaining about pad life. I'll bet with a new set of OEM pad he will be very happy.
I was referring to whether or not '18 and late EB cars (non PP) got the 2 pot calipers like earlier models - I wasn't sure if that was the case.

I agree the 2 pot calipers are fine for daily driving - however, once you've driven the same car with the 2 pots then swapped to the 4 pots (base GT) the difference is A LOT bigger than I initially thought it would be.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
You could buy some take off base GT units and swap those on.

dougpaw57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang EcoBoost Premium Convertible
I realize this is an old post, but I have a question. I have a 2020 ecoboost with the OEM two-piston front brakes. Shelby American sells GT rotors and calipers as brand-new take-offs. Is the master cylinder on the ecoboost 2-pot brakes the same as the Master cylinder from the GT 4-pot brakes?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I realize this is an old post, but I have a question. I have a 2020 ecoboost with the OEM two-piston front brakes. Shelby American sells GT rotors and calipers as brand-new take-offs. Is the master cylinder on the ecoboost 2-pot brakes the same as the Master cylinder from the GT 4-pot brakes?
no one knows for sure, but it won't be a problem. LOTS of people have replaced the 2-pot with the 4's and even 6's without touching anything else. You WILL need brake lines for the front.
Sponsored