From Hand to Mechanical

groove93

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay Brown
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I spent my Saturday paint correcting the front-half of my car. I used Polishers for the first time during this process. A Rupes Duetto, and an SPTA 3" Orbital Polisher. The paint was full of swirls, scratches etching, and water spots. When I got the car in spring, (used), I saw the paint, and I knew I could clean it up. Unfortunately, it would be months before I had the time to perform a paint correction on this level. Whether it was work, the weather, outside tempurature, and unfortunately, Covid a few weeks ago, I was determined to get this car "Dialed in".

I performed the typical steps to wash and remove any wax and protectants from the paint. I did not Clay the car this time around, as the Chemical Reaction from my bottle of Gyeon Iron did not show any purple streaks throughout the body of the car. Plus the paint was smooth to the touch throughout the body of the car. However, I did take a microfiber towel and wiped the car down while Gyeon Iron was still on the car. Then I washed it off. I found this to be a much improved way to chemical decontaminate the car, plus more dirt was removed from the paint as well. Used Gyeon Prep to wipe off any lingering chemicals,waxes, and protectants on the car (I love the smell of that stuff).

It was very intimidating at first, as I walked around the car with my Paint Thickness guage, and discovered some crazy numbers on the rear driver-side quarter panel. My goal was to at least get the Front-end of the car Compounded, Polished, and Protected. I'm going to follow up on the obvious paint job done to the quarter panel, as the thickness of the paint was literally 3 times the average of what I was finding around the the rest of the car.

Made my test spots on the hood of the car. I had a couple of Rupes Yellow, and Blue Pads, Mequires Ultimate Compound, Rupes DA Fine (Yellow label), and Sonax Perfect Finish. I found the Rupes 5" Yellow pad and the Mequires Ultimate Compound produced the best cut with less haze. So I stuck with that combination throughout the process. I have a couple of 3" Rupes Yellow, Blue, and White DA Pads, but (due to my lack of knowledge regarding DA and Orbital Polishers) I stuck with the SPTA equivalent pads. And I'll just say, those pads are horrible. Two of those cheap pads almost disintergrated as I was cleaning them with a brush. Not the case with the Rupes Pads.

Watching some of my favorite Car Detaling Youtube channels, one of the common suggestions, was to not chase after perfection. Running the risk was damaging your clear coat while chasing a small scratch is simply not worth it. Plus taking into consideration the car's purpose: Is it a Garage Queen or a Daily Driver, are you a professional Detailer, or a Weekend Warrior such as myself?

I will say, for a first-time user of both a DA and Orbital Polisher, I was more than content with the results. I will work on the rear half of the car next weekend. I'm just worried about that rear quarter panel.

It's Sunday, so I'm going to Polish, and add a Jescar Powerlock as a Sealant.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FCrZS3pyYcEg88xU8

IMG_20211016_165644.jpg
Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I also like detailing. I’m doing my M1 as soon as it arrives. I’ll be using chemical guys strip wash, iron x then I’ll quick clay and polish with chem guys P4 and my Torque orbital and finish with a coat of Chem guys Carbon Ceramic coating. I also really like reload and turtle pro hybrid graphene. Good stuff. Looks great. Enjoy.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Excellent report Jay and you've shown that a newbie can polish a clear coat, dramatically improving the clarity and gloss, without having any problems. Well done.

As for the triple paint thickness, seems like the vehicle had to have been repainted for some reason somewhere along the road as I simply can't imagine the factory doing that.

Good luck on the rest of the vehicle and I hope you find time before Winter.

OP
OP
groove93

groove93

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay Brown
Vehicle(s)
Total time was approximately 9 hours for only the front end of the car.

Day 1
Pre Wash with Traffic Film Remover (concoction), and Gyeon Foam
Full Wash with Chemical Guys Clean Slate plus the Concoction
Gyeon Iron, wipe down after spraying the car, no Claying needed
Drying
Gyeon Prep and Concoction to ensure no wax or sealants were on the paint
Compound with Rupes Yellow Pads and Meguires Ultimate Compound

Day2
Pre Wipe with Gyeon Prep
Rupes Yellow Pads and Sonax Perfect Finish
Found 2 deep scratches on the hood, so I tried the Rupes Blue Course Pad with Sonax, and Rupes Yellow DA Fine. I didn't want to get too aggressive with the polishing, and I had some minor improvements.
Another Wipe down with Gyeon Prep to get allof the polishing residue off of the paint.
Jescar Power Lock applied with Rupes White Ultra Fine Pad
Allowed to let sit on the paint for 30 minutes then removed with a microfiber towel.
The Paint is very slick now. Gloss and a much richer deeper Red.

I should be able to do the rest of the car next week with not a lot of prepping involved.

IMG_20211017_153151.jpg

IMG_20211017_164248.jpg

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Great work and technique.

I like your assessment process in regards to using an Iron remover and claying. Generally, it doesn't hurt to skip the clay process if it's not needed as it can introduce more work in the polishing step.

I have also used a microfibre cloth in the past to get more from an iron remover, it's a good tip. Another way to do it would be to use your hands with gloves on, running your hands over the paint. I got that tip from Billy at Presidential Detailing.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Looks great ! :sunglasses:

I'm no expert, but If I could make one suggestion it would be to get a new / clean bucket and dump your polisher in it rather than putting it on the ground. It keeps it clean and reduces the risk of debris transferring from ground - polisher - hand - pad or paint :like:

WD :like:

OP
OP
groove93

groove93

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay Brown
Vehicle(s)
Looks great ! :sunglasses:

I'm no expert, but If I could make one suggestion it would be to get a new / clean bucket and dump your polisher in it rather than putting it on the ground. It keeps it clean and reduces the risk of debris transferring from ground - polisher - hand - pad or paint :like:

Yes, I have "The White Ghost", lol sitting on a Towel with all my Pads and Polishes. I couldn't how much residue came out of those pads. I don't have compressed air, so I used a brush.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I have "The White Ghost", lol sitting on a Towel with all my Pads and Polishes. I couldn't how much residue came out of those pads. I don't have compressed air, so I used a brush.
You got me wrong lol.

I wasn't referring to cleaning the pads, I was suggesting a dry bucket to house the polisher and save it sitting on the floor :like:

1634736380599.png
1634736406561.png