Sponsored

Favorite hand polish/compound

svtsupremacy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0
someone lost a hubcap as I was merging onto the highway....took it to the rear quarter panel, behind the wheel. Some of it is too deep to remove, but I do want to clean it up/remove as much as I can before I try and touch-up paint. The area is pretty small @ 3-4 inches, 3-4 small scratches.

I just wanted to know what your favorite polishes/compounds to use by hand are. Not sure if i can get away with just using 1 product, or if ill need to use a compound and follow it up with a lighter polish after compound...
Sponsored

Boostamoose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' GT
With damage like this you need to be extremely careful.
I would have to see pictures to give you better advice. If the hubcap was able to scratch down to the primer or deeper, then you need to be cautious. What can happen is when you are compounding you actually begin to increase the size of the scratch and removing more paint since the surface you are polishing is uneven. Your best bet would be to touch up any areas that are primer / bare metal. Wait a week and then go back in with compound and polish. If you're truly dead set on doing it by hand I would check out Adam's Polishes. They actually make a special hand polish and hex grip applicator.

Otherwise I always start with Jescar Correcting Compound if I'm doing a 2 step, and I'll use Sonax Perfect Finish after compounding. Usually I just use Perfect Finish as a one step. This is with a DA machine however.