Sponsored

From Challenger ScatPack, to Golf R to 2016 Mustang GT

Muztank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
I'm looking at picking up a new car and I am trying to pick between the Scat Pack Challenger, Mustang GT, and Camaro SS. I grew up with Mustangs driving an LX 5.0 and 2000 GT for a total of 18 years. I then moved on to a 2007 SRT Charger and finally a 2010 GTI. My Charger was the fastest and most comfortable of all the cars but not the most fun to drive. The GTI was fun and really convenient for city driving with DSG but not fast at all. At this point I want an automatic and it seems that the Dodge and Chevy have better automatics. The Mustang is definitely the best deal price-wise.
I've had 19 cars, of which only 3 where auto so I probably don't have much to reference here although they where all owned within the last 4 years being the 535i, the Accord v6 and the Mustang GT. But I have to say I love the GTs auto... In manual mode... Even after going back to stick for 9 months in the WRX.

I'll say this, normal mode and sport mode auto are rubbish, but if you put the stang in sport immediately, and then switch to manual mode using paddles to shift as i do every day, I'll almost guarantee the paddle shift is quicker than you can shift in a manual gearbox. It will not auto change out of manual mode, it wont change gear when bounced off the limiter, it allows you to shift down providing there are a few hundred revs left in the previous gear and stamping on the gas doesn't make it auto change either.
ive driven a DSG GTi and its true they are seemless, but the change in the GT is far from terrible, I cannot really understand why the chall or SS have substatially better autos? Is it because they have more gears, better ratios?

Completely random side note, I'm sad to say I'm done with stick, I love the engagement, but it's simply slower for me personally, and I get most of the engagement back through different ways now like being able to change gear mid corner without lifting.
Sponsored

Dawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT convertible
I've had 19 cars, of which only 3 where auto so I probably don't have much to reference here although they where all owned within the last 4 years being the 535i, the Accord v6 and the Mustang GT. But I have to say I love the GTs auto... In manual mode... Even after going back to stick for 9 months in the WRX.

I'll say this, normal mode and sport mode auto are rubbish, but if you put the stang in sport immediately, and then switch to manual mode using paddles to shift as i do every day, I'll almost guarantee the paddle shift is quicker than you can shift in a manual gearbox. It will not auto change out of manual mode, it wont change gear when bounced off the limiter, it allows you to shift down providing there are a few hundred revs left in the previous gear and stamping on the gas doesn't make it auto change either.
ive driven a DSG GTi and its true they are seemless, but the change in the GT is far from terrible, I cannot really understand why the chall or SS have substatially better autos? Is it because they have more gears, better ratios?

Completely random side note, I'm sad to say I'm done with stick, I love the engagement, but it's simply slower for me personally, and I get most of the engagement back through different ways now like being able to change gear mid corner without lifting.
More gears and they shift faster. The Mustang trans is ok in manual mode. You'd have to drive them back to back to experience it. Hopefully when they put the 10 speed in the Mustang it'll be a new game.

Muztank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
More gears and they shift faster. The Mustang trans is ok in manual mode. You'd have to drive them back to back to experience it. Hopefully when they put the 10 speed in the Mustang it'll be a new game.
10 speed.. can't tell if this is serious, that's almost as many gears as my mountain bike.

Evil87GN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY EB auto
I would love to have a Scat Pack Challenger. If I could afford it, I would trade my Mustang in on one. I think they are the best looking out of the three and have the most room. I don't care that they are heavier as I don't race. Some day I will have one.

Wayne
I've gotten the mod bug out of my system, so I won't be going to the track as much as I used to. That's why I started looking at the Scat Pack cars....big, comfortable cruisers that haul ass. If I get the urge to make a few passes, they will quite willingly do that, then cruise home in comfort. I'm debating on taking the beating on my Mustang and trading once the Lightning sells, or wait until tax time next year and order what I want. If I had known about the Scat Pack prior to buying my Mustang, would have gone that route in a heartbeat. I did look at Challenger RT's prior to the Mustang, but they were 14's, so none of the nice upgrades the 15/16 cars have.

Evil87GN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY EB auto
It was 57 degrees and clear this evening when I did this run. I did a second gear start and still had too much wheel spin. Drag radials and 10 degrees warmer should get close to breaking into the high 11's.

I'm tempted to sell a couple of my motorcycles to pick up a new Camaro SS just to be able to represent the big three.
And this is why I want one of the SP cars. Zero mods, run mid 12's @ 114-115 in comfort, on stock tires...no need for much else. A pair of DRs and hello 11's with not much drama.

Sponsored

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
Plus the Scat Packs sound the best and have the nicest interiors.

Mgsouthwest2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT C/S
I really like this thread and I will tell you why. A lot of car forums are just filled with fan boys/ brand loyalists that do nothing but praise what they are driving and put everything else down. This thread proves that this forum at least has a good number of true car guys on it. Man, I love performance cars period! If I like the car, I doesn't matter to me what manufacturer makes the thing. The only bad thing about liking all kinds of cars is the itch one gets to trade often. Like I said above, I should not have driven those scats. I still love the mustang but I loved that challenger too. What is a guy to do? :shrug:

D.Brown

Save the Manuels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
15' GT
Not to bring up old things, but I ended up changing out my 2.5" exhaust (That also had pretty bad leaks) for a 3" Corsa Catback and I ended up running into a Scat Pack Charger that also had a full exhaust. I blew it's doors off, so I'm thinking the Challenger had modifications or my car was being sapped from the garbage exhaust and messing with the tune possibly. I'll never know.

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
You gave up a Golf R huh? I came VERY close to buying one over the mustang. My only problem was its such a boring looking car. After driving the mustang and the deal I got on it I just couldn't make myself buy the Golf. Dealers around here won't budge on the Golf R's price.

paul1967

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Welcome! Car looks great! Love the blacked out look. Maybe i will see you around Greenville sometime! (i'm in the southend of Greenville county). There are still only a few S550s in the area as of yet, but the numbers are growing! I have not seen any gatherings in our area yet, but i'm open if we want to start one.

Paul

Sponsored
OP
OP

2016_Dark_Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium | Shadow Black
Not to bring up old things, but I ended up changing out my 2.5" exhaust (That also had pretty bad leaks) for a 3" Corsa Catback and I ended up running into a Scat Pack Charger that also had a full exhaust. I blew it's doors off, so I'm thinking the Challenger had modifications or my car was being sapped from the garbage exhaust and messing with the tune possibly. I'll never know.
My 6-speed SP was fully loaded (everything minus the shaker package which wasn't out yet). Bar none the best stock exhaust system I have ever heard. As soon as I started the engine and the active exhaust system valves opened up I was sold =) Well, I was sold way prior but that helped seal the deal. Regarding the interiors, the premium GT is pretty much a tie in my book. Both are extremely comfortable, nice materials, heated/cooled seats and awesome audio systems/interface. You'll have more rear room in the Challenger if that's important.

A 6-speed equipped SP vs a new GT auto would be very close. The much heavier SP models take away that 485 HP advantage (my title slip shows my particular model was 3,650 lbs. The SP's and SRT's weight between 4300-4500 lbs I believe.

What you do have to worry about in regards to straight line performance are the SP's or SRT's with the ZF-8speed and upgraded rubber in the back (although the SRT come with 275s stock) :doh: Either way, they are both amazing cars that both excel in their own ways, which will eat up 95% of what you come across on the roads today. Not to mention looking and sounding better while doing it...personal opinion of course :D

OP
OP

2016_Dark_Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Welcome! Car looks great! Love the blacked out look. Maybe i will see you around Greenville sometime! (i'm in the southend of Greenville county). There are still only a few S550s in the area as of yet, but the numbers are growing! I have not seen any gatherings in our area yet, but i'm open if we want to start one.

Paul
Thanks Paul! A meetup sometime would be great. I've only seen a few here as well (one being a blacked out S550 that put me where I am now, LOL).

OP
OP

2016_Dark_Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You gave up a Golf R huh? I came VERY close to buying one over the mustang. My only problem was its such a boring looking car. After driving the mustang and the deal I got on it I just couldn't make myself buy the Golf. Dealers around here won't budge on the Golf R's price.
The R definitely doesn't go for flash but that's part of its brilliance. It's very sleek, understated but even with just springs and a front splitter, it greatly adds some aggression to the looks. Being based off the S3, it has an interior and build quality that matches if not surpasses it's Audi brother. Invest $400 in a JB1 tuner, completely stock, and run low 12's without breaking a sweat. It was just too harsh on my back as a DD and then my fate was sealed the day I saw a new blacked out GT a few months back and heard a few with upgraded exhaust systems. It just looked and sounded incredibly menacing. I'm impressed with the S550 lines, performance, premium interior, and overall build quality. Ford has come a LONG way. Plus the 0% financing and 5K cash back made it impossible to pass up :thumbsup: Oh yeah, and you will absolutely pay MSRP for the Golf R. Many dealers have mark-ups on top of that...not a fan.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
The R definitely doesn't go for flash but that's part of its brilliance. It's very sleek, understated but even with just springs and a front splitter, it greatly adds some aggression to the looks. Being based off the S3, it has an interior and build quality that matches if not surpasses it's Audi brother. Invest $400 in a JB1 tuner, completely stock, and run low 12's without breaking a sweat. It was just too harsh on my back as a DD and then my fate was sealed the day I saw a new blacked out GT a few months back and heard a few with upgraded exhaust systems. It just looked and sounded incredibly menacing. I'm impressed with the S550 lines, performance, premium interior, and overall build quality. Ford has come a LONG way. Plus the 0% financing and 5K cash back made it impossible to pass up :thumbsup: Oh yeah, and you will absolutely pay MSRP for the Golf R. Many dealers have mark-ups on top of that...not a fan.
Yah that's the issue with the S3/Golf R they are very 'plain' looking cars. I took out an S3 a few weeks ago and man that thing was great but man on the looks...just really dull.

Dawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT convertible
I really like this thread and I will tell you why. A lot of car forums are just filled with fan boys/ brand loyalists that do nothing but praise what they are driving and put everything else down. This thread proves that this forum at least has a good number of true car guys on it. Man, I love performance cars period! If I like the car, I doesn't matter to me what manufacturer makes the thing. The only bad thing about liking all kinds of cars is the itch one gets to trade often. Like I said above, I should not have driven those scats. I still love the mustang but I loved that challenger too. What is a guy to do? :shrug:
:amen: I love both my ScatPac and my GT. They each excel in their own right.
Sponsored