Sponsored

Friendly reminder not to overly rely on traction control.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Seriously, especially to those that daily the car (like me). This isn't to debate the usefulness of TC or start a nani war.

I have winter performance tires that keep the rear end in line even in several inches of snow. I'm driving home this morning and there's sleet on the roads. These tires + TC and I still got sideways without even doing anything.

Always be prepared and alert. TC will help you but it won't save the car if you're being a derp. Stay safe, friends; don't become another youtube video.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Pop the car in snow mode and take it easy...

As you found out, Nannie's and snow tires still won't save an S550 from "losing it"...

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Might I recommend not buying “performance” winter tires in the future. The only goal is to survive until spring time. After nearly 20 years of studless winter tires, I have caved and gone to studs. I doubt I’m going back.

30C483FD-4869-46BA-BE5B-7E3AFCBE9CED.jpeg

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Pop the car in snow mode and take it easy...

As you found out, Nannie's and snow tires still won't save an S550 from "losing it"...
No snow mode and I was taking it easy... black ice is black ice. I just see too many posts about people being surprised that TC didn't stop them from spinning out so I wanted to make this since it's that time of the year.

Might I recommend not buying “performance” winter tires in the future. The only goal is to survive until spring time. After nearly 20 years of studless winter tires, I have caved and gone to studs. I doubt I’m going back.
I disagee. These tires are amazing. Black ice is black ice. These tires let me have fun with the cold air and give me confidence in the snow. Studs may have their benefits but I have no reason to complain. I'll probably buy the same tire again.

Sponsored

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
From my experience, studs and chains are the only thing effective on ice. You can't use chains on dry pavement, and studs don't last long on dry pavement.

nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust
I recently found that TC is very effective in letting you get nowhere if you start to spin.
TC off if you are stuck, or in a spot where you see it coming on constantly. I use it always, but one needs to switch it off to make progress in a slippery spot. We are talking really low speeds though ... stuck or near stuck.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
From my experience, studs and chains are the only thing effective on ice. You can't use chains on dry pavement, and studs don't last long on dry pavement.
The general consensus is that the studs wear with the rubber and only rip out if you do too much wheel spin on dry pavement.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
TC is a "helper" not a savior for bad road conditions. I've lived in snow country off and on for over 35 years and ice is ice nothing fights sliding on ice other than studs, sometimes. Wet slush that gets between your tires and the road at some speeds nothing to do but slide. I slid into a small Honda a few years back in a 2015 Passat with great tires and TC during a fast oncoming snow/slush storm, folks were off the road everywhere. My GT stays parked during winter since I have a nice daily driver and 4x4 truck.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I disagee. These tires are amazing. Black ice is black ice. These tires let me have fun with the cold air and give me confidence in the snow. Studs may have their benefits
But studs help in EXACTLY that situation...when you're on solid ice. Snow tires help with snow, studded snow tires help with icy surfaces specifically.

Sponsored

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX

30C483FD-4869-46BA-BE5B-7E3AFCBE9CED.jpeg
This could be old info, but I recall that driving studded tires in the dry not only yielded less grip but would destroy the tires if driven over 30ish for extended time. If your in constant snow and ice for months thats makes sense, but if you live in that climate ,have a second vehicle with awd then.

07S281E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Saleen S281E, 2020 Shelby GT 350
Like my daddy use to say. "Doesn't anything go good on ice". I have a 1st gen Toyota Tacoma for the snowy stuff.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
But studs help in EXACTLY that situation...when you're on solid ice. Snow tires help with snow, studded snow tires help with icy surfaces specifically.
It just seems situational. Unless I'm mistaken, studded tires would be terrible for expressway driving. Snow/winter performance tires benefit my situation more, IMO.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I recently found that TC is very effective in letting you get nowhere if you start to spin.
TC off if you are stuck, or in a spot where you see it coming on constantly. I use it always, but one needs to switch it off to make progress in a slippery spot. We are talking really low speeds though ... stuck or near stuck.
I'll second this. The road leading up to the parking lot for my job is at an incline. I was driving up it with a bit of spin but nothing unusual. TC just kept killing power until I was literally at WOT and not moving. I got stuck, had to let traffic drive by so I could slide back down, and start again with TC off. It was frustrating, to say the least.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
It just seems situational. Unless I'm mistaken, studded tires would be terrible for expressway driving. Snow/winter performance tires benefit my situation more, IMO.
I have studs because I do lots of early morning highway driving where black ice is an issue. They work fine, but sound a bit like bad wheel bearings.
Sponsored