Sponsored

Fresh air intake tract behind front grille that leads into air box

matt321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
[MENTION=19602]VelossaTech[/MENTION] Does the Big Mouth work with aftermarket CAI? Specifically something like JLT CAI for ecoboost mustang?
Sponsored

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
I thought the same thing, how could you possibly do that accidentally? What's the reason for blocking off the hole of air flow? It's baffling, like what other stupid things did they do? Am I missing something for this reasoning?

VelossaTech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.velossatechdesign.com
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
I thought the same thing, how could you possibly do that accidentally? What's the reason for blocking off the hole of air flow? It's baffling, like what other stupid things did they do? Am I missing something for this reasoning?
There is no telling why they did that. It could be 1000 different reasons, manufacturing, cost, assembly, simplicity, bureaucracy, who knows . Either way, we solved that problem :cheers:

mtoo22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Whipple GT
So can you just remove the honeycomb on the stock EBM grille, or do you need to get a grille delete kit with a replacement grill

Sponsored

Rick B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
I think it's to prevent hydrolock. A wall of water that could be created by traffic on the other side of the road. You wouldn't want to hit a wall of water with the air snorkle exposed.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Hydrolock wouldn't occur from water splashing from oncoming traffic. Complete submersion would do it. The blockage of the stock air system related a couple of factors 1. another method of detuning (GT grill has blockage too, it's just not as much) 2. upgrade path for Shelby or other Ford associated vendors 3. lower maintenance (smaller path for debris to build up, my green filter was caked in buggs after 2 hours driving around after hours in the countryside I did to test it and the LMS 93 octane tune out when I first put it in).

Mid_life_crisis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost premium
It would be very amusing to me if it turned out that extensive development involving complex fluid dynamics revealed that blocking those particular holes somehow created a more efficient high pressure zone and cutting out those pieces did nothing but make more noise and actually reduced efficiency. Like all the pickup guys who drive around with their tailgates down; it makes sense if you don't really understand it.
Sometimes factory engineers know what they're doing. That might not be the case here, but then again, it could be.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
It would be very amusing to me if it turned out that extensive development involving complex fluid dynamics revealed that blocking those particular holes somehow created a more efficient high pressure zone and cutting out those pieces did nothing but make more noise and actually reduced efficiency. Like all the pickup guys who drive around with their tailgates down; it makes sense if you don't really understand it.
Sometimes factory engineers know what they're doing. That might not be the case here, but then again, it could be.
Interesting point. But if you look at the EB grill, there is a total of about 3 square inches of non continuous opening in the grill. Then the snorkel opening behind it is about 20 square inches.

Rick B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
If you say hydrolock wouldn't occur from oncoming traffic. Your speaking from inexperience. I used to drive all day doing repairs in New Jersey and many times I've had my car tidal waved by trucks etc. hitting deep slush puddles and drenching my car. You do not have to be submerged to get hydrolock.

Sponsored

PamAndJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang
my green filter was caked in buggs after 2 hours driving around after hours in the countryside
I have been curious about this. For those who've had this for a little bit, what's been the impact on the cleanliness of your filter? I know they haven't been out long, so it might be too soon to tell.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Depends on the driving conditions, if it funnels in more air, anything suspended in air will also be funneled in as well. In that case, bugs, bugs and more bugs. It wasn't by any means a "blockage". A simple tap of the filter also knocked all of them out as they were just dried out exoskeletons from the heat (and likely having their guts liquefied upon impact and oozing out of the joints).

I left in the mesh to avoid any larger debris from entering or snow from building up, however snow wouldn't last long before melting and the stock airbox has drain holes for rid any water / snow buildup. RAM air intake aren't new, vetts and other highe end cars pretty much have that as a given, even some of the pontiac grand AM's, fire birds etc had them.

It works great for keeping the engine fed at higher speeds and also keeping IAT temps low, on cooler days my IAT's actually drop below ambient as you get a cooling effect form the higher air flow at speed. On hotter days it's usually within a few degrees of ambient, meaning the air going into the turbo compressor is at a higher density = higher flow at the same RPM vs. drawing air from a high pressure zone before the air box which is also mixed with radiator backwash heat.

I"ve heard the argument that IC's negate the advantage of cooler intake temps on turbo cars as the air is cooled anyway, however they forget the compressor flow rates are increased due to the higher density, also the air coming out of the compressor is cooler as it's cooler going in, how much cooler i'm not sure, but there is a balance of heat transfer, so I would expect cooler air coming out of the compressor but also slightly cooler compressor side temps as some heat transfer will occur. At any rate, the compressor has a higher flow rate AND the IC has less thermal energy to deal with making the whole car more efficient.

Case in point on modifications which are focused on efficiency (which consequently is the most optimal foundation for higher power):

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
So can you just remove the honeycomb on the stock EBM grille, or do you need to get a grille delete kit with a replacement grill
you can't really remove the honeycomb on an EB grill, best bet would be to get a GT grill and modify it, you can get them really cheap.

I just drilled out the blank grill plates this morning, deciding on whether or not to hog out the holes with a dremel..
It's amazing that only the 2.5 holes on the far right are the only ones open to the intake tube.
http://p87i.imgup.net/grilldrill337b.jpg

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
you can't really remove the honeycomb on an EB grill, best bet would be to get a GT grill and modify it, you can get them really cheap.

I just drilled out the blank grill plates this morning, deciding on whether or not to hog out the holes with a dremel..
It's amazing that only the 2.5 holes on the far right are the only ones open to the intake tube.
http://p87i.imgup.net/grilldrill337b.jpg
Did you take off the bumper to do that? Also any noticeable difference?
Sponsored