Sponsored

Fresh air intake tract behind front grille that leads into air box

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Ok, so the air intake tract to the air box (or a CAI) is supposed to bring in fresh air to the engine....

Why would Ford design the front grille to be totally closed off RIGHT IN FRONT of the air inlet tract, except for (3) - yes THREE, little openings?

If you don't know what I am talking about - look at the front grille, the right side (driver side) and you will see the honeycombs are closed off except for (3) honeycombs that are opened. Now, pop your hood and follow the air intake tract forward to the grille... which dumps right into the dead end closed section of the grille.

Sure, air travels in through the main center grille opening - but that is NOT a direct shot of fresh air to the air intake tract at all!!

Has anyone carefully opened up more of the grille directly in front of the air intake tract to allow more fresh air to flow more freely into the CAI??
Sponsored

lisandra

mama smurf
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lisandra
Vehicle(s)
ecoboost PP non premium
many people have done a grill delete actually. if you opt to do it yourself like I did its very easy once you have the grill off the bumper. you basically cut the honeycomb part. there even a line that tells you where to cut. After that either leave it open or get a grill fro customcargrills for 50 bucks.
It also happens to look badass
If it looks weird its because its a night shot
29029995511_be552f57a7_b.jpg

NightParade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2017 GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yep grille delete is way to go just finished mine yesterday and left bottom open for intercooler, all the cool airs lol

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Some people, like mentioned above and myself as well, have went with the grille delete and some have opened up more of the honeycomb with a Dremel. I really don't think you'd go wrong with either method.

gtmorgan23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
I was thinking about just drilling out some more of the honeycombs on the wife's EB.
I was really surprised that they left open such a small hole for cool air to get into.
Maybe that was some de-tuning they did or something because it just seems foolish to have it designed that way.

Sponsored

Blay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM
many people have done a grill delete actually. if you opt to do it yourself like I did its very easy once you have the grill off the bumper. you basically cut the honeycomb part. there even a line that tells you where to cut. After that either leave it open or get a grill fro customcargrills for 50 bucks.
It also happens to look badass
If it looks weird its because its a night shot
29029995511_be552f57a7_b.jpg
is that yours?
it looks mean!

nice job :clap2:

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
When my Space City Spy grill went on (more or less similar to the RTR grill), I noticed my air conditioner actually worked like every other car I've had, including $10,000 Nissan Versa rental cars. I did not notice power increases but the car ran a little cooler, but a thermostat would probably have more of an effect on that. The doo-hicky up front right behind the grill is the AC condenser, so makes sense that my AC actually cooled the f'ing car afterwards. I also have a sort of backing plate on my mesh that lets only a certain amount of air in to keep the hood from looking like it's going to blow off at highway speeds. Similar to what the stock grill has...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BI_XhEZgHkc/?taken-by=sirboom_photography

DevilDogDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB 6spd Ruby Red
Has anyone been able to do a grill delete with the stock EB grilles? I have looked all over and only find mention of the GT grille delete...

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Has anyone been able to do a grill delete with the stock EB grilles? I have looked all over and only find mention of the GT grille delete...
It's the same. I replaced my front bumper. I got a GT bumper off eBay, popped the GT grills out of it and plugged my grills off my EB in its place. I have the 50 yr APP which I think is the same grills for the GT or the EB.

DevilDogDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB 6spd Ruby Red
I know they fit the same but I mean the actual cutting and such, our grille seems to be thinner than the GT one.

Sponsored

VelossaTech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.velossatechdesign.com
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Hey guys. If you get a GT grill, be sure to check out the BIG MOUTH ram duct we offer. It is meant to do exactly what you are trying to do, create a smooth flow transition from the grill to the stock inlet port.

IMG_3682_zpsax8ydwwv.jpg

velossatech-S550-ram-air30_zpsiee1rszf.jpg

received_10207423243432976_zpsnpqsjpjw.jpg

Just cutting the honeycombs alone is not enough, there is pretty bad radiator backwash air that enters the intake when the car is moving slow or sitting idle for more than a minute. Also, when the car is moving at speed, you can take advantage of the ram duct ability to keep the air moving fast through the entire inlet system before the airbox. This allows for more airflow and throttle response, a lot of good experiences with it thus far.

http://www.velossatechdesign.com/product/2015-2016-s550-mustang-big-mouth-ram-air-kit/

gtmorgan23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
[MENTION=19602]VelossaTech[/MENTION] Is the 4th pic down (blue car) a pic of someones EB that had cut out the honeycomb to get better flow?

VelossaTech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.velossatechdesign.com
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
[MENTION=19602]VelossaTech[/MENTION] Is the 4th pic down (blue car) a pic of someones EB that had cut out the honeycomb to get better flow?
That is exactly right. If you install the BIG MOUTH ram intake you need to cut the honeycombs out. Everything else can remain stock. It works best with a closed airbox. Here is the development thread.

We just went through one last minor change to the product and loosened up some tolerances to help with installs. A lot of people are happy with the results.

It's a lot of reading, but basically the first post has all the info you need.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39043

VicRattlehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RS1 Roush EcoBoost
make it work for a roush front bumper.

jrock

The
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Blue EB
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys. If you get a GT grill, be sure to check out the BIG MOUTH ram duct we offer. It is meant to do exactly what you are trying to do, create a smooth flow transition from the grill to the stock inlet port.

IMG_3682_zpsax8ydwwv.jpg

velossatech-S550-ram-air30_zpsiee1rszf.jpg

received_10207423243432976_zpsnpqsjpjw.jpg

Just cutting the honeycombs alone is not enough, there is pretty bad radiator backwash air that enters the intake when the car is moving slow or sitting idle for more than a minute. Also, when the car is moving at speed, you can take advantage of the ram duct ability to keep the air moving fast through the entire inlet system before the airbox. This allows for more airflow and throttle response, a lot of good experiences with it thus far.

http://www.velossatechdesign.com/product/2015-2016-s550-mustang-big-mouth-ram-air-kit/
I added one to my build. Works great...:cheers:
Intercooler.jpg
Front GT Grille.jpg
Sponsored