Sponsored

Forscan vs. Ford IDS

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Does Forscan do everything that can be done via the genuine Ford IDS hardware and software? If not, what can’t you do via Forscan that can be done via IDS?

Does anyone have or use the actual Ford IDS software or hardware OUTSIDE of a dealership service center environment?
Sponsored

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
I believe the (biggest) difference is that the Ford IDS software can update the firmware of the various modules.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Ride height calibration routine for Magneride cars. All the electronic diagnostic tests also I believe.

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
Can anyone point me in the right direction on what cable i need for forscan and maybe some basic setup tutorials? I tried a few searches and could not come up with anything i trusted.

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
Can anyone point me in the right direction on what cable i need for forscan and maybe some basic setup tutorials? I tried a few searches and could not come up with anything i trusted.
I purchased the adapter recommended by Forscan (https://forscan.org/home.html):
"OBDLink EX, recommended USB adapter for Windows version of FORScan, also for configuration and programming functions"

https://www.obdlink.com/products/obdlink-ex/?ref=forscan

From what I read in the big forscan guide thread:
1. Update your adapter to latest firmware
2. make backups for each module first before editing anything
3. and save logs often, especially the first time connecting.
4. have a battery tender attached to the car, maybe power adapter to the notebook as well when you plan to write to modules to avoid hardware bricks due to low voltage problem. do not use a notebook that tends to crash randomly.
5. don't randomly overwrite asbuilt addresses/lines/values unless you know what yo are doing. Current forscan versions already have many reverse-engineered settings built-in (there are normal config settings and raw as-built settings).
Sponsored