ForScan not recognizing car - 2019 GT ROUSH SC Phase 2

csmart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT / ROUSH Phase 2
I'm curious if any of you have had issues getting ForScan to recognize your car after getting the supercharger installed? I'm trying to enable the boost gauge in the cluster, but ForScan doesn't recognize the PCM. It connects to the adapter and I can see it trying in the logs but then gives an error message and a prompt to enter a custom strategy number. (Or something to that effect... Neglected to get a screenshot when it happened.)

Looking at the ForScan support pages it seems this can be a sign that the chip has been locked to prevent changes. Looks like a number of folks have made the change I'm looking to do, but maybe ROUSH or Ford has changed something with the Phase 2.

Thanks!
Corey
Sponsored

MKL_DS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Your Roush cal carries a specific strategy, perhaps thats what needs to be entered. It would be a 7 digit value that you can see with a tuning device in most cases.

OP
OP

csmart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
Your Roush cal carries a specific strategy, perhaps thats what needs to be entered. It would be a 7 digit value that you can see with a tuning device in most cases.
Thanks... Not sure why it didn't occur to me I could get that from a handheld tuner. 🤦 Will give it a go this evening after work.

Was planning to sell my BAMA tuner now that I'm running the ROUSH tune but maybe I'll hang onto it for a while yet. 🤔

OP
OP

csmart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
Ok follow up for anyone following (and for my own future reference). I managed to get ForScan working, but it required the *original* strategy number for the ECU. Recollection from when I bought the tuner is that the only way to get this was with the tuner as it's no longer printed on the device... Happily I had the email records from earlier correspondence with BAMA, and was able to reference back to that.

The current ECU strategy number did not work. (Which, I suppose makes sense given that ForScan didn't recognize it.) If true that the ECU numbers are no longer printed on the stickers, I'm not sure how you'd get the original if you already had the ROUSH tune flashed.

Need to get a new Extended License for ForScan so not 100% certain the changes will work for the ROUSH setup, but am assuming so. Wish me luck... I'll update here if I have problems - otherwise you can assume it works.

Thanks for the help, @MKL_DS!

Corey

OP
OP

csmart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
Alright... Should be final update on this one. A couple of notes for future reference:

1) The change worked as intended and I now have a vacuum/boost option in the cluster, BUT...
2) Since my car is set up in metric units, it runs -750mmHG to 3 Bar, or roughly -30 inHG (ok) to 44 psi.

I'll have to see if there is a way to change the units on just the boost gage to something a little more useful. That said, my dedicated boost gage should ship tomorrow from Montreal and I'll have it in hand for the weekend. Was hoping for a "cleaner" look and just to have it in the cluster, but probably better to have a dedicated gage anyway. :)

Actually - one more thing to add. I found the default values were not the same as what's shown in the ForScan guide for my car. Instead of 720-06-01 being 7C6F xxxx, it was 7CEF xxxx. I changed it to 7CFF xxxx (speculating that the change for the boost gage is a simple "add 1" in hex) and that did it for me. I tried changing it to 7C7F xxxx per the usual instructions in the hopes that would solve my units dilemna, but no luck. I still had the boost gage, but still in metric units with the same range.

Cheers and thanks all for the support!

Corey
Sponsored