Formula 1 talk.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; NASCAR did the same thing as far as cost to attend. My first Bristol ticket back in 1960's was $6. Tickets stayed reasonable for decades as NASCAR was mostly regional. Sometime in the 80's it started being more popular and widespread. During the 90's tickets got to over $100 and in addition you had to buy a package of tickets for other races. At one point I had to keep buying tickets for all Bristol races each year even if I could not attend the race or lose my chance to get tickets for the next race. Worked it out with my brother so he bought spring race tickets and i bought summer race tickets.
Parking was higher and harder to find. Had to walk near a mile or more at times. The roads around the track are now much better but for a while getting into and leaving the track was a traffic jam.

I quit going to Bristol on a regular basis by 2001 or so. Have not been in over 15 years. Lost some interest after Dale senior died.

$600 + general admission or $1000 to sit down at COTA is outrageous. Not worth that sort of fee. NASCAR got to a point where lots of seats were empty at a point. Got too big for its britches. I can get by without F1. Been less and less interesting of late. This season is some better but not enough to save the show over time.
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I’m not a big Horner fan but I’m with him 100% on this. I’d also add Monaco. I know the racing sucks but the history.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/christian-horner-f1-ringfence-iconic-tracks/
Hello; I like watching Spa much more than Monaco. So spa is a keeper. The others can be taken away if I get a vote. Monaco is a bore of a race but some of the crashes are spectacular.

Not clear as to the how or why of new track design in terms of having places to pass. Seems the new track designs could allow for passing (overtaking) but do not.

F1 will go for the money for the most part is my guess. NASCAR had the same sort of problem in the heyday. New tracks bringing in fans and money. Old tracks not so much and not enough race weekends. They started taking away races from some tracks. Instead of two races a year down to one. Martinsville comes to mind.

By the way how did Kimi do at Watkins Glenn? My recording stopped at the end of stage two due to rain delay. He was about 6th place when my recording stopped.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
By the way how did Kimi do at Watkins Glenn? My recording stopped at the end of stage two due to rain delay. He was about 6th place when my recording stopped.
He got taken out by other cars crashing and sliding into him. Was in the top 10 at the time IIRC.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Ol Danny Ric........... I think most of us saw that coming right???

As far as pricing, I've seen some packages around here in Vegas for next year's race... 10k seems to be the average number thrown around. But F1 has always been like that as far as I can remember. Moto GP was always a lot more budget friendly. I think NASCAR's issue with empty stands, is a number of things, one of the biggest is convenience. You can watch on TV better than ever before. Back in the 90's when it was growing the angles sucked the cameras sucked. Now you are more immersed then ever for the last 10 years or so. I've been to so many tracks and races, I'd rather watch in UHD on a 75" TV at home instead of dealing with the crowds and all. One of those been there done that things and LVMS is right down the road. I get free tickets to the races since South Point is a sponsor of the track and family works there. I Still don't go. but last i saw tickets were just 60$ for decent seats.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; I have a question or two. First is why did Alonzo not get some form of punishment for being on a portion of the track where Louis wanted to drive? He (Alonzo) stayed on track, I'll be it at the edge of the track, when there was plenty of room for him to go off track and be out of the spot where Louis needed to be. You know the way it happened last season when the person who offended Louis was given a penalty.

OK, I am tigging with the above. I also know it is Lewis. I heard Lewis say something about a blind spot being the cause of his running into Alonzo. I will save that blind spot gem for later. My real question is why he (Lewis) did not get a penalty for causing a collision? I get that his car was the only one knocked out of the race but that has nothing to do with my question. In the past penalties have been given to drivers even if they knocked their own car out of a race.

Anyway, Hamilton's rash action did wonders for Max when the dust had cleared. Even Ferrari ran a better race this time. No fault on them for a tear off getting into a cooling duct. Guess they made a mistake pre-race by having more downforce than needed, but it could have worked out if it had rained. I was amused by the radio message of Ferrari to a driver asking what tire the driver wanted.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Hello; I have a question or two. First is why did Alonzo not get some form of punishment for being on a portion of the track where Louis wanted to drive? He (Alonzo) stayed on track, I'll be it at the edge of the track, when there was plenty of room for him to go off track and be out of the spot where Louis needed to be. You know the way it happened last season when the person who offended Louis was given a penalty.

OK, I am tigging with the above. I also know it is Lewis. I heard Lewis say something about a blind spot being the cause of his running into Alonzo. I will save that blind spot gem for later. My real question is why he (Lewis) did not get a penalty for causing a collision? I get that his car was the only one knocked out of the race but that has nothing to do with my question. In the past penalties have been given to drivers even if they knocked their own car out of a race.

Anyway, Hamilton's rash action did wonders for Max when the dust had cleared. Even Ferrari ran a better race this time. No fault on them for a tear off getting into a cooling duct. Guess they made a mistake pre-race by having more downforce than needed, but it could have worked out if it had rained. I was amused by the radio message of Ferrari to a driver asking what tire the driver wanted.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...lonso-as-spaniard.2t6mx7pYhiKmSBaxRk80ZB.html

Park

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT, 20 Mustang EB and 21 Bronco Sport
I can’t watch Daytona today because it is not on cable or satellite, you have to stream it.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; I do not drive race cars so cannot say for sure, but this blind spot thing smells. I did most of my driving on narrow twisty two lane roads for several decades. I was young and passed a lot of cars. Lots of times with a limited distance to get the pass done. Even if I did not keep an eye on the car being passed I never forgot it was there. Lewis had to have known Alonzo was not going to give up a position. Even I know Alonzo will not be intimidated. Alonzo was at the edge of the track. Lewis tried a move that had little chance of working and caused a collision. Other drivers have gotten penalties for less.

Alonzo revised his comments later on, but his spur of the moment comment sounds about right. Lewis does well when his car is better than the rest. Currently his car is upper mid pack. But he skated again. Maybe he will quit at the end of this season and not hang on too long as other former champions have.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Was on Cnbc on Xfinity. And you can stream it on the NBC Sports app for free with your cable or satellite provider login.

I can’t watch Daytona today because it is not on cable or satellite, you have to stream it.

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I’m not a Hamilton fan but they were racing and he took responsibility. That’s how it should be. It happens, it’s part of it. It seems there trying to back off the ticky tack stuff which is a good thing. I thought Latifi’s excursion was extremely dangerous and should have been addressed by they thought better.

Hello; I do not drive race cars so cannot say for sure, but this blind spot thing smells. I did most of my driving on narrow twisty two lane roads for several decades. I was young and passed a lot of cars. Lots of times with a limited distance to get the pass done. Even if I did not keep an eye on the car being passed I never forgot it was there. Lewis had to have known Alonzo was not going to give up a position. Even I know Alonzo will not be intimidated. Alonzo was at the edge of the track. Lewis tried a move that had little chance of working and caused a collision. Other drivers have gotten penalties for less.

Alonzo revised his comments later on, but his spur of the moment comment sounds about right. Lewis does well when his car is better than the rest. Currently his car is upper mid pack. But he skated again. Maybe he will quit at the end of this season and not hang on too long as other former champions have.

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang

You do realize Hamilton had about 1 second to check his blindspot, going around corners with other cars around at ridiculous speeds. It was a first lap racing incident, plain and simple. It happens.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Ferrari is claiming Verstappen tossed a tear-off into Leclerc's brake duct forcing an early pit stop and damaging sensors. On a related note, that has earned Max enough super-license points to compete in the Cornhole world championship. Ferrari reports Leclerc's 5 second pit speeding penalty was caused by that sensor damage they apparently knew was a factor at the time calling for the extra pit stop.

Poor Hamilton. First crashes out. Then stupidly refuses to go to medical center and thus enabling him to later criticize Max for continuing and celebrating a win after an opponent nearly broke his back and was under doctor care.

Quote without comment from a SPA interview with Christian Horner: "Well, my wife often tells me that size doesn't matter,"

He didn't volunteer how often she tells him. So, actually a quote with just that one comment.

Last edited:

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
Just because Hamilton takes responsibility does not mean the stewards give a penalty.

Obviously they decided it was a race incident that needed no further action. Lewis clearly thought he was farther ahead when he turned in at the corner.

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
LOL @ Alonso’s comment on Hamilton only knowing how to drive and start when he’s first. I guess Alonso forgot Brazil 2021.
Sponsored