Sponsored

Forged Bottom End - What To Use?

brandonalberd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic S550
May be ordering parts here soon to install in my current shortblock. Car has 30K miles on it, 29K of those are through a Whipple 2.9L ( 10LB ) and was just curious if anyone's done the same. Considering ordering Forged Rods, Pistons and Coated Bearings. Not having issues but with the extra flow of funds at the moment I figure it may not hurt. End goal is roughly 850whp daily.

Anyone have any advice? Figure it's a cheaper route at the moment to utilize the stock block and crank than to order new, albeit I haven't priced the work to have it disassembled and reassembled. Or maching/polishing the crank/block.

I'd considered using Molnar Connecting Rods, Manley Forged Pistons, and Clevite Coated Rod Bearings?
Sponsored

2-tone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt m6
I ran the stock engin up to 750 tire with opg and crank sprocket. After that you should consider a sleeved block. An improved rotating assembly without the sleeves is a waste of money to me. If you're interested in molnar contact Jeff Shockey with apocalypse performance. He can get you set up with all the parts you need or a complete build.

OP
OP
brandonalberd

brandonalberd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic S550
[MENTION=21540]2-tone[/MENTION] I actually checked out the website today man

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I'm in a similar boat. I just had my motor pulled because it was locked up, but it ended up being the trans. Waiting on more info but since I already paid the labor to remove the motor I'd like to upgrade it. Don't need a shortblock since mine is fine, so I should be able to just upgrade the pistons, rods, etc. I know MMR sells the whole rotating assembly for 1k whp for about $2000. But I've heard mixed reviews on their stuff.

Sleeves would be awesome but are pretty costly once added onto all the other expenses involved.

Going to be talking to the shop about how to proceed so I'll be watching this thread too.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
I'm in a similar boat. I just had my motor pulled because it was locked up, but it ended up being the trans. Waiting on more info but since I already paid the labor to remove the motor I'd like to upgrade it. Don't need a shortblock since mine is fine, so I should be able to just upgrade the pistons, rods, etc. I know MMR sells the whole rotating assembly for 1k whp for about $2000. But I've heard mixed reviews on their stuff.

Sleeves would be awesome but are pretty costly once added onto all the other expenses involved.

Going to be talking to the shop about how to proceed so I'll be watching this thread too.
Huh!!!!,when did u pull your motor???I remember when your convertor broke ,that wss a while back.

Sponsored

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange PP
I'm also looking to have one built.....

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Huh!!!!,when did u pull your motor???I remember when your convertor broke ,that wss a while back.
Just yesterday I had the motor pulled, car broke down on me late last week and I towed it to JPC over the weekend. Hopefully I'll hear back with what's wrong with the trans in a couple days. I have a feeling it's something the shop screwed up. Built 6R80s don't break at 1/2 throttle every day...

Unfortunately though I already paid for the labor to remove (and reinstall) the engine, so I don't want that to go to waste. Depending on the cost of the trans I'd like to build my block anyway since it's already pulled.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Just yesterday I had the motor pulled, car broke down on me late last week and I towed it to JPC over the weekend. Hopefully I'll hear back with what's wrong with the trans in a couple days. I have a feeling it's something the shop screwed up. Built 6R80s don't break at 1/2 throttle every day...

Unfortunately though I already paid for the labor to remove (and reinstall) the engine, so I don't want that to go to waste. Depending on the cost of the trans I'd like to build my block anyway since it's already pulled.
Wow sorry to hear that but yea if the motor is out already and funds available thats a good plan.Just dont get why they pulled the motor if they had a suspicion of the trans.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Wow sorry to hear that but yea if the motor is out already and funds available thats a good plan.Just dont get why they pulled the motor if they had a suspicion of the trans.
I don't have the funds but I would hate to waste probably $1500+ in engine labor for nothing :lol: They agreed the motor was locked up and since the trans still went into neutral, I don't think they could tell that the input shaft was locked up until they disconnected it from the motor.

OP
OP
brandonalberd

brandonalberd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic S550
I actually spoke with RPG Motorsports ( ran by Will @ Whipple ) a while back about doing a shortblock build. $4600 for Ford 2015+ Shortblock & Crank, then Manley Forged Rods/Pistons and Coated Bearings. Assembled and said it would hold 20lbs on E85. Granted the expense is the new shortblock/crank which I know I wouldn't need haha. So that expense could be put towards sleeving the block that's in it. But I don't plan on every going higher than 850whp on E85.

Sponsored

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I went with mmr because I like their products and they make a ton of stuff for the coyotes. And, it was easy to order. You are going to hear stories about every place in business. Unlesss its constant over and over problems, i wouldn't worry about the stories. But I will say that any competent machine shop should be able to put a shortblock together for you. All the parts are available.

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
If I buy a Forged motor ill probably just buy an assembled shortblock and sell mine to an S197 guy to offset the cost...if I don't blow mine up first lol

rio16

MAD_50HH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rio
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Whippled Competition Orange
RPG ENGINES built by Will from Whipple

2-tone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt m6
MPR in my whipple coyote. Apocalypse in my turbo cobra.

Not a mmr fan when it comes to built engines. They went to a lot of trouble to try to hide some stuff on yellowbullet forum a few years ago. Their parts are ok in my book.

Anyone considering a build should think long and hard about sleeves. At 850 tire you may be happy for a while, but long term you will only want more.

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Theres not much reason to upgrade rotating assembly without sleeves. I would consider a second block for the build rather than have no car and a motor in pieces for months.
Sponsored