Sponsored

Ford will offer a third engine (more powerful 2.3L EcoBoost) to 2020 Mustang lineup

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
One thing I'm thinking of it's going to be hard to price a 350hp 2.3L (SVO) Mustang between the base Ecoboost and the GT unless Ford drops the base cars price and raises the price of the GT.

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

Derkluge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang Hybrid
I seriously doubt they are reverting to the Gen2 Coyote. More likely this is a preliminary document, and wrong, or it's one of those documents where it's easier to add things than remove them, hence just leaving old data on there that is no longer applicable. Along that line of thought, it is entirely possible that there will be only be one new, upgraded Ecoboost, and the current Ecoboost will be dropped. They just kept it on the list because it's easier than taking it off the list.
The more I think about it, the more I think youā€™re probably right. To revert to the Gen2 Coyote and to drop or reconfigure the Bullitt engine would be a massive and very public admission of reliability and/or manufacturing issues.

Thereā€™s still something deeply unsatisfying about what weā€™re saying is likely a confluence of errors in this regulatory filing. The 5.0 is 460HP, not 435. The Bullitt engine is 480HP, thereā€™s nothing ā€˜TBDā€™ about it. As an attorney, I know that regulatory filings are typically quadruple-checked for accuracy.

Either this is shocking news or just shockingly sloppy. Weā€™ll know soon enough.

In any case, Iā€™m still excited to hear about the stonger 2.3L option!

Sponsored

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
Don't mess with my V8 Ford!

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
I'll take that as Ford are finally going to offer me the Mach 1 S550 that I want :crackup:

On a slightly more serious note......I can see Ford offering the Bullitt spec 5.0 for the base spec S650 5.0 engine. They did this with the 2008 4.6 Bullitt engine which, two years later, became the base GT engine before the Coyote debuted. I still think (hope) there's life in the Coyote beyond the current Bullitt spec, so I don't doubt a "more complex" 5.0 is on the horizon.......even if that's a distant horizon :)
Displacement on demand was strongly mentioned by me in fustration and they did not flat out deny it.......Fact is that they didn't deny it at all.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Displacement on demand was strongly mentioned by me in fustration and they did not flat out deny it.......Fact is that they didn't deny it at all.
And Ford is known to deny or ignore something with a smile just to lead you on in the wrong direction.

Last edited:

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
One thing I'm thinking of it's going to be hard to price a 350hp 2.3L (SVO) Mustang between the base Ecoboost and the GT unless Ford drops the base cars price and raises the price of the GT.
I don't think it would be hard, because yeah an SVO would be getting close to the GT price, but if it's got GT PP2 hardware on it, you're talking about a GT that's mid-40s in base trim. When you compare apples to apples it would still be sufficiently cheaper. Chevy manages to sell at least a few 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder Camaro 1LEs right? Maybe this potential SVO could be the competition for that, except with a little more power. Drop the RS motor in it for 350 hp, offer both PP1 and PP2 package for it (like a regular and track pack version), and you could have a cool car for mid-high 30s for those that don't care about having a V8. With the gen3 coyote hysteria going on right now, you might even get a decent amount of V8 deserters.

toplesstripcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 50th Mustang GT vert, '03 yellow Evo
FORD released a statement saying this 'tick' is normal for all V8 Mustang produced from 2011-2018 so going back to the Gen 2 would do absolutely nothing accept slow the car down
2011-2018? That would make it characteristic of the Coyote. (My 2015 doesnā€™t have it) Yet people are just having these issues with the 2018 and up. This goes beyond ticking though. Gen 3 have gotten scored cylinder walls, piston slap. Some have had to get the engine pulled as well as transmission etc. So much headache from a new car. These are my observations though.

Sponsored

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
^ are the 17s ecoboost affected by these plaguing issues? New owner curious

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
And Ford is known to deny or ignore something with a smile just to lead you on in the wrong direction.
Same guys that gave me the specs on the 7.3
The 5.0 statement from them was unexpected.
They both just started making comments about it to my surprise.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
So, when is the next Gen MY supposed to be? 2021 or 2022?
'23MY in 2022.........is the latest rumor. This was reported by Autoline mid last year.....their info was from Auto Forecast Solutions. Whilst Ford will never confirm/deny, Autoline (and AFS) seem to be pretty accurate with their news.

http://www.autoline.tv/daily/?p=55633

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
I thought the v6 ecoboost was 2.7 liters... @ capable of v8 torque down low.

So:
2.3l 4-cyl ecoboost.
(2.7l 6-cyl ecoboost.)
5.0l 8-cyl.
5.2l 8-cyl.
5.2l 8-cyl supercharged.
I was also wondering the the 2.7L may be the engine that would be used for this "middle of the line" Mustang. Maybe, but what do I know?

I do know that the 2.7L is what many are hoping will show up in the new Bronco. If the thing ever goes into production.
Sponsored