Sponsored

Ford will offer a third engine (more powerful 2.3L EcoBoost) to 2020 Mustang lineup

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
'23MY in 2022.........is the latest rumor. This was reported by Autoline mid last year.....their info was from Auto Forecast Solutions. Whilst Ford will never confirm/deny, Autoline (and AFS) seem to be pretty accurate with their news.

http://www.autoline.tv/daily/?p=55633
Thanks Paul!

It was originally 2021 MY, but got pushed backed. The new engine addition makes sense as the new Gen is pushed back.
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Great point. Would be interesting to see how a mild hybrid V8 fits into the lineup (above the V8 and below the GT350) from a price and performance perspective.

I know Ford already has a 48v mild hybrid system that itā€™s starting to use in some models. Not sure if anyone knows its weight/power impact (or how much it costs).
That said, Iā€™m ALL OVER the concept of a mild hybrid V8.
Iā€™m pretty certain Ford is not using 48V Mild Hybrids. FCA is, Mercedes is, Audi is. Ford is not. Ford has several Full Hybrids and a couple Plug-in Hybrids, but I am not aware of any 48V Mild Hybrids.

I think that what is going on here is that the 435 hp V8 is for the Full Hybrid that is going into Mustang. This would be very similar to the setup on the F-150 and Explorer, but with a different engine. Most of the hybridization is done through the transmission. Since Mustang, F-150, Explorer, and Aviator all use basically the same 10AT (different torque ratings). Ford can apply the same hybrid integration and calibrate for the different engines. The electric motor sits between the flywheel and the torque converter.

There are a couple things on the graphic in the OP that make me scratch my head, though. Doesnā€™t Coyote make 460 on regular unleaded? The engine listed claims 435 on PREMIUM. Why go to premium for lower hp? I can understand going to a relatively ā€œretunedā€ lower output engine and then relying on the electric motor for additional torque assist, but why require premium? Also notice that the 5.0L with no hp rating stated identifies it as TiVCT. That is the technology content of the Coyote. Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing. The 435 hp engine does not call out TiCVT. That makes some sense to me if itā€™s a hybrid. Variable Camshaft timing would have minimal fuel economy improvement on a hybrid, so if there is a cost savings by eliminating it, I could see Ford making such a choice to offset some of the cost of hybridization.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought the v6 ecoboost was 2.7 liters... @ capable of v8 torque down low.

So:
2.3l 4-cyl ecoboost.
(2.7l 6-cyl ecoboost.)
5.0l 8-cyl.
5.2l 8-cyl.
5.2l 8-cyl supercharged.
The Nano V6 has two displacements:
  1. 2.7TT as used in the F-150 and now the Edge ST
  2. 3.0TT that was previously specific to Lincoln until it got included in the 2020 Explorer

Derkluge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang Hybrid
Iā€™m pretty certain Ford is not using 48V Mild Hybrids. FCA is, Mercedes is, Audi is. Ford is not. Ford has several Full Hybrids and a couple Plug-in Hybrids, but I am not aware of any 48V Mild Hybrids.
Here are a couple of links showing Fordā€™s 48v mild hybrid system (currently in the Transit, slated for the Focus in Europe for 2020).
https://www.ford.ie/shop/explore/hybrid-electric/mild-hybrid
https://europe.autonews.com/article...-focus-with-fuel-saving-48-volt-hybrid-system

Of course, I have no idea if itā€™s possible to integrate this with the 2.3T (or the 5.0 for that matter).

I would think that the chart in the OP has to show the total HP - not just the HP of the gas motor component of the hybrid system. In the (probably unlikely) event that Ford makes available a hybrid 2.3T and a hybrid 5.0, those would be the ones with ā€˜TBDā€™ HP. The non-hybrid versions would have 310HP and 435HP, respectively, assuming thereā€™s no error.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Your not really slowing anything down. The coyote 3 picked up the majority of its power from a better flowing intake. That fits the gen 2 motor. Direct injection is more for fuel economy. But I can hardly imagine Ford would take a step backwards to the gen 2 coyote. That would basically be admitting there is a problem with the gen 3.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here are a couple of links showing Fordā€™s 48v mild hybrid system (currently in the Transit, slated for the Focus in Europe for 2020).
https://www.ford.ie/shop/explore/hybrid-electric/mild-hybrid
https://europe.autonews.com/article...-focus-with-fuel-saving-48-volt-hybrid-system

Of course, I have no idea if itā€™s possible to integrate this with the 2.3T (or the 5.0 for that matter).

I would think that the chart in the OP has to show the total HP - not just the HP of the gas motor component of the hybrid system. In the (probably unlikely) event that Ford makes available a hybrid 2.3T and a hybrid 5.0, those would be the ones with ā€˜TBDā€™ HP. The non-hybrid versions would have 310HP and 435HP, respectively, assuming thereā€™s no error.
Oh yeah. Silly me....I was thinking US. Europe is way ahead of the US on 48V and everybody does it there. Not so much in the US with $2 gas. I was trying to point out that Ford is not doing it in the US. Maybe theyā€™ll bring it over with the Transit.

I would agree that the likelihood that Ford would do a 2.3T hybrid and a 5.0 hybrid are very very slim. The 5.0 hybrid is pretty much a sure thing. Since the current ā€œnon-hybridā€ GT is already at 460 - 480 hp, it is highly unlikely the 2020 ā€œnon-hybridā€ would be 435. It is more likely that the gas engine in the hybrid application is 435 and the hybrid system is not disclosed. That would also explain why the 435 hp does not specify TIVCT. It may not be necessary in the hybrid. Thatā€™s kind of a stretch though, because the 3.0TT in the Aviator hybrid contains all the same tech that is in the 3.0TT non-hybrid. So at the end of the day, I guess we really donā€™t know what the 435 would be.

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
It makes sense for Ford to offer a baseline 2.3 liter four for those who want a Mustang , but do not care what kind of engine is in it. For those who want a more powerful four cylinder engine or who need a reason to upgrade from the current 2.3 Ecoboost four , the 350 to 360 horsepower ecoboost four would be perfect.

Coyotestang13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang 5.0 MT82 3.73
Seems unlikely to me that specs for RHD Mustang would be in a US regulatory filing. (Also, I thought the UK Mustang was specā€™ed at 444 HP - not 435 like the Gen2 Coyote.)

As for why they could bring back the old engine, I might refer you to the wave of threads discussing the tick (whether the issue is overblown or not).
It's probably just a typo. It would be easier for Ford to fix issues with gen 3 than have to go back and mass produce a previous gen.

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
It makes sense for Ford to offer a baseline 2.3 liter four for those who want a Mustang , but do not care what kind of engine is in it. For those who want a more powerful four cylinder engine or who need a reason to upgrade from the current 2.3 Ecoboost four , the 350 to 360 horsepower ecoboost four would be perfect.
Donā€™t they currently offer a power pack for the Eco? If so, maybe they will take that and apply it as a new trim.

Coyotestang13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang 5.0 MT82 3.73
5.2 SC
5.2 but with a cpc
3.5TT
3.5 N/A
I'd like to see Ford use the 7.3 in a special edition Mustang. Only problem is iron block would have to go and it would likely need a big cam upgrade and tune to get decent horsepower out of it. It would be fun but I don't see Ford doing it.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a good question for everyone when Ford did away with the v6 it happened the same time as the refresh. Are we going to get another refresh along with the 350hp 2.3L Ecoboost.
Sponsored