Sponsored

Ford to make a major announcement on electric vehicles tonight.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The trouble is, by that time today's politicians won't be in office anymore. So they don't give a flying monkey's ass about it; it's not going to be their problem.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
ONLY reason they are going ev, is the C.A.F.E. regulations they have to meet by 2025 IIRC it is 54.5MPG fleet avg.
Well it isn't the only reason but it is a good one. The move to a gasoline alternative didn't start yesterday. There were a number of options put on the table and electric was, at the time, the best choice. Will that change in the future? Maybe, but doubtful.

But there may be other options down the road.....
Porsche, BMW, McLaren, and others are working on synthetic fuels in the hopes it can keep gas-powered engines (and some of our favorite cars) on the road.

https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...ium=email&date=092821&utm_campaign=nl25054138

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Well it isn't the only reason but it is a good one. The move to a gasoline alternative didn't start yesterday. There were a number of options put on the table and electric was, at the time, the best choice. Will that change in the future? Maybe, but doubtful.

But there may be other options down the road.....
Porsche, BMW, McLaren, and others are working on synthetic fuels in the hopes it can keep gas-powered engines (and some of our favorite cars) on the road.

https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...ium=email&date=092821&utm_campaign=nl25054138
Electric wil fail. if for no other reason than
1) Nothing is being done to the grid to take the load
2)shuttering power plants while the need for more electric power is slated to be needed.
3)Greenies not alowing any new powerplants to be built other than a few n/g ones but they are shuttering 5 plants to every one new one they "allow"
4) no hydro power, no nuke, no using coal fired as the back up for high loads only.
5)greenies fighting pipelines that are needed for the n/g
6) greenies fighting wind farms and any green energy if it upsets their views of nature.
7)Lack of re engineering the grids so that most storms/floods don't take out the electric power for weeks at a time.

All this should have been hammered out long before the push(read mandate) of ev's.
One thing is for sure everyone's electric bill is going to skyrocket because of this, if they have an ev or not.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
ONLY reason they are going ev, is the C.A.F.E. regulations they have to meet by 2025 IIRC it is 54.5MPG fleet avg.
Never going to happen with I.C.E. AND the highway safety dept. required nanny and safety requirements that make vehicle heavy.
In a decade after 2025 when and IF ev's are the norm. The first area That floods or has any type of weather event that cuts power will show what a cluster this "idea" is.
I can see the news headline now. Thousands of electric cars power packs leaked into the flood waters, and into our drinking water, Do not drink the tap water and officials have no ETA on when, if ever it will be safe to do so.
Oil, and gas don't mix with water making removing them from water somewhat straight forward, The materials the batteries are made from, not so much.
Along with battery pack submersion, count on this in your future flood/storms scenario:

EV Charging stations will be dead and will need to be replaced if flooded.

Electric power outages, that are common in flood zones or areas hammered by a major hurricane/tornado/storm will hamper ANY ability for an EV owner (civilian, EMS, Police, Fire, Utilities, etc) to get anywhere if no power due to charging stations being incapacitated.

At least with ICE, gasoline can be siphoned out of another above ground source OR if a manual pump is available, pumped from the ground well at a fuel station to get an ICE vehicle mobile again.

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Along with battery pack submersion, count on this in your future flood/storms scenario:

Electric power outages, that are common in flood zones or areas hammered by a major hurricane/tornado/storm will hamper ANY ability for an EV owner (civilian, EMS, Police, Fire, Utilities, etc) to get anywhere if no power due to charging stations being incapacitated.

At least with ICE, gasoline can be siphoned out of another above ground source OR if a manual pump is available, pumped from the ground well at a fuel station to get an ICE vehicle mobile again.
I foresee a large business increase for generators. Oh wait, those are powered by gasoline. Never mind. :facepalm:

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Electric motors and cars are nothing new. In fact, both were invented and used before their gasoline counterparts. Electric cars were fairly popular 100-120 years ago, but Gas was a better option since battery technology was not great yet. Early electric cars relied on lead acid batteries. At my age of 55, I may never have to buy an electric car. I'm sure I will try one in the next decade once the infrastructure is better.

Hobohunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2007 Audi S4, 2016 Mustang GT/CS (sold)
Soon everyone will go solar too. It is gaining acceptance. Considering solar myself, and I don't need to charge a car.
Depends on where you live. I don't see solar ever being cost effective where I live. Electricity is under 3 cents/kw-hr in my county and the neighboring because of hydro. Home solar will probably never break even if you factor in equipment replacement, and grid solar will find it tough to compete with dams that have been in operation for 50+ years.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Depends on where you live. I don't see solar ever being cost effective where I live. Electricity is under 3 cents/kw-hr in my county and the neighboring because of hydro. Home solar will probably never break even if you factor in equipment replacement, and grid solar will find it tough to compete with dams that have been in operation for 50+ years.
Solar is a small part of the equation. A restaurant near me installed their own wind turbine about 20 years ago. It supplies more power than they use. As more people use solar, wind & hydro generators, the grid demand will go down.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
resiliency and redundancy is being REMOVED from the system in the aggregate. This is a sure-fired recipe for disaster and wide-spread suffering or death. Welcome to your new (academic) utopia brought to you by the "smartest people in the room."

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.

So true,
Also, london banning fuel burning in city limits, N.Y. banning sale of them in the state.
I love the song but not the fact that this might be our future

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I love the song but not the fact that this might be our future
I’ve been a long time subscriber to Car & Driver. Always looked forward to the new car issue. This year I barely picked it up. Virtually all SUV’s and a ton of EV’s. Unfortunately this is the future. :crying:

Hobohunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2007 Audi S4, 2016 Mustang GT/CS (sold)
Solar is a small part of the equation. A restaurant near me installed their own wind turbine about 20 years ago. It supplies more power than they use. As more people use solar, wind & hydro generators, the grid demand will go down.
Sure, demand will go down, but the capacity the power companies will need to have available probably won't. They'll still need to be able to supply all those people at the times when their own generators and batteries are not supplying themselves, unless they manage to disconnect themselves from the grid.
Sponsored