Ford speaks

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
I agree with all of the "will be nice to custom order a car without the extended warranty push and the rim and tire packages and the extended extended ultra super rare 'just for you' warranty stuff" but at the same time it was nice to go down to a dealership and take one of the cars for a spin that you've never driven before.

This is my first Mustang. I've turbo imports, bikes, jeeps and even a Camaro or two that are older than most women I date but I've never driven a GT before and so took many Mustangs for a spin; until I saw what I liked.

"EcoBoost? Yeah, photocopy your license and here's the keys"

"GT500? Yeah but your AMG and your Girlfriend stay here till you get back"

"GT Premium? Sure we've got tons of those - sign here".

Now it'll be POINT, CLICK, PRAY!
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
No real surprises here. Ford is going to have a fight on their hands. But I find this sentence very interesting. I wonder which states prevent Ford from controlling prices beyond MSRP?
With regards to the above question - it's not so much "Ford" jacking around with MSRP, it's the actual DEALERSHIP, of which most if not all are Franchised and are making their own internal rules etc.

Ford sells a product with a "price label" (ie: window sticker) that is clearly marked and affixed to their product - just like any other product being bought or sold nationwide. Ford's MSRP is THEIR SUGGESTED price for that product. What the DEALERSHIP does with that product's MSRP price is between them and the Consumer.

So here's 2 fun facts that many don't know about Dealership ADM:
1) This is NOT a "Ford" markup. It is the DEALERSHIP mark up and ONLY the Dealership benefits from excess ADM collected over MSRP, not Ford.

2) ADM is NOT recoverable by Ford or Ford RAV in the event of a Lemon Buy Back claim. Know why? Because the ADM was NEVER a line item on FORD's original Window Sticker or the final MSRP on that window sticker. This is true for a collateral swap (MSRP to MSRP) OR a refund of monies.

---

If anyone buying a new car pays ADM, it's on them - no one forced their hand to fork over their cash OR to finance a vehicle with excessive ADM.

If anyone buying a new car isn't happy with a Dealership jacking around with the Ford MSRP, again, no one is forcing that individual into a sale at all.... leave if you're not happy with the MSRP cost manipulation.

Last edited:

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Ingot Silver
I relish the thought of the day I can order any Mustang without an ADM or other such bullshit.
I actually was going to get 4% under sticker on my order because I’ve done a lot of business with the dealer, but the build info sat in limbo for so long I wasn’t sure if it was ever gonna be built. Went to a nearby dealer that had the same specs, just a different color, and paid sticker but they wound up giving me $1,500 more on the trade in than the original dealer I placed the order from.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Special order/wait for it/it arrives/pick it up really isn't that bad. Last summer, I wanted a nice Herman Miller chair for work - I sit 8-10 hours a day 5 days a week, and those office depot chairs, even a "nice" one just didn't hold up under hard use...I went to the Herman Miller store, sat in a chair, wanted to buy it right there. They don't sell that way. It's only a showroom. I placed my order, had to wait a month or so, because of backorders, but it was absolutely worth it. People will grow accustomed to these changes, and ultimately, I think it will be a good thing, you'll get exactly what you want.
Did the same but the fully loaded Aeron only took a week to arrive.

Problem for Ford is orders take months to arrive. I always order my cars BUT not everyone plans that far ahead or can plan that far ahead.

stanger1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2013 Shelby GT500-Sold, 2017 Roush RS3
I want to be able to see, drive, and compare the Car or Truck that I am interested. And I want to see, and Drive the actual Car that I am going to buy, looking for issues, etc.
I still like to visit the Stealership to look at and Dream of the Next One. Internet just does not do that for me.

Sponsored

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
Did the same but the fully loaded Aeron only took a week to arrive.

Problem for Ford is orders take months to arrive. I always order my cars BUT not everyone plans that far ahead or can plan that far ahead.
Same - Aeron with all options - the polished aluminum base was the hold up on mine

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I agree with all of the "will be nice to custom order a car without the extended warranty push and the rim and tire packages and the extended extended ultra super rare 'just for you' warranty stuff" but at the same time it was nice to go down to a dealership and take one of the cars for a spin that you've never driven before.
Yea you can test drive a Tesla at there service/showrooms. I did it with a friend and it was amazing experience. Just think about a being able to test drive a car without a sales pitch or pressure to buy.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
With regards to the above question - it's not so much "Ford" jacking around with MSRP, it's the actual DEALERSHIP, of which most if not all are Franchised and are making their own internal rules etc.
I get that CJ. What this article says is that are states that will not allow to Ford to intervene when a dealer adds huge ADM's. Those are the states I'd like to know about.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Yea you can test drive a Tesla at there service/showrooms. I did it with a friend and it was amazing experience. Just think about a being able to test drive a car without a sales pitch or pressure to buy.
If that happens then I'm down.

I actually bought my Mustang GT Premium from a small dealership in Carstars, AB (about 2500km away from here). Un-driven. But she was in their showroom so figured it was safe. Plus new car warranty.

It was the most pain-free experience I could imagine.

"You guys ship cars to Toronto area?".
"Mustangs? Yeah we have before".
"Oh yeah? Great, you just sold the GT in your showroom. Can you find a covered transpo for me?"
"Sure Sir, she'll be there a week from Thursday".

Then it was paperwork and dollars and that was it. No-haggle. No BS. They threw in a few things for me that most dealers like to do. I did get boned on the dealership ceramic coating. Turns out it was paper-thin and is being redone properly on Monday.

Sponsored

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
If that happens then I'm down.

I actually bought my Mustang GT Premium from a small dealership in Carstars, AB (about 2500km away from here). Un-driven. But she was in their showroom so figured it was safe. Plus new car warranty.

It was the most pain-free experience I could imagine.

"You guys ship cars to Toronto area?".
"Mustangs? Yeah we have before".
"Oh yeah? Great, you just sold the GT in your showroom. Can you find a covered transpo for me?"
"Sure Sir, she'll be there a week from Thursday".

Then it was paperwork and dollars and that was it. No-haggle. No BS. They threw in a few things for me that most dealers like to do. I did get boned on the dealership ceramic coating. Turns out it was paper-thin and is being redone properly on Monday.
Yes we do not need to get rid of all the dealerships. We just need to turn them into showrooms and service centers. We can even hire sales people that get a incentive for people who place orders. But the price of cars is a set amount.

My dealership experience wasn't that bad either. I custom ordered my car, it came in 4-5 months later, test drove it, no markup, used a ford employee discount and boom got the car. But it was annoying having to deal with the finance manager and his sales pitch to sell additional products.

Reactions: MCS

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I get that CJ. What this article says is that are states that will not allow to Ford to intervene when a dealer adds huge ADM's. Those are the states I'd like to know about.
Oh, certainly - same here... was just putting out the info for those that may have been unaware - because not all Ford Dealerships are the same.

I think the earlier articles from this year was also about Ford trying to keep the franchises in line with regards to price gouging, because what *some are doing* is actually hurting Ford in general, because those customers are not wanting to play the Dealership games with pricing and are walking....

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
There was no ADM when cars were sold in the Sears Catalog:

Sears Catalog Car-1.jpg

Or so I thought
Well lookie here... seems like Sears did their own ADM of $58.00.

$395.00 to a whooping $453.00!

Sears Catalog Car.jpg

Now if had the same return/exchange as the Craftsman tools, that would be worth it.

Things definitely change over time my friends.
(Or do they... this baby above was rolling on 36's with low profile tires.)

noGreta!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus IS350 F Sport
Dealership owners speaking to the Wall Street Journal on the changes at Ford said that dealers have an important role in working with customers on their car purchases, such as offering them servicing, repair and education.
Servicing, repair and education....riiiiight....

However, having experienced the European model of ordering and waiting forever for your vehicle to arrive I can tell you it is a miserable buying experience. I prefer the instant material gratification of trading a car in and leaving with a new one within a few hours.

Also, test-driving the actual vehicle you buy is important. You place a lot of trust in the manufacturer's QC otherwise and in Ford's case, forgive me, but I have lost a lot of that trust and faith.

OP
OP
Rapid Red

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Servicing, repair and education....riiiiight....

However, having experienced the European model of ordering and waiting forever for your vehicle to arrive I can tell you it is a miserable buying experience. I prefer the instant material gratification of trading a car in and leaving with a new one within a few hours.

Also, test-driving the actual vehicle you buy is important. You place a lot of trust in the manufacturer's QC otherwise and in Ford's case, forgive me, but I have lost a lot of that trust and faith.
LMAO ........... some people's children are so full of themselves and funny as hell. Question, have you actually owned a car?

Believe me, ordering and getting exactly what one wants, is a FAR better experience. A concept that most likely will be missed.

Enjoy your ride.......
Sponsored