Sponsored

Ford Racing ProCal Tune

Kboeh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack, 2019 Mustang Ecoboost performance Pack, 1978 Pontiac Trans Am
The Ford tech I messaged with said that the ‘17 GT350 filter assembly didn’t fit the ‘18’s, and didn’t respond to my question about the ‘18 GT350 assembly...
No change to the front fascia was made for 2018 on the GT350. But the Bullitt does have a open filter like the GT350.
Sponsored

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
No change to the front fascia was made for 2018 on the GT350. But the Bullitt does have a open filter like the GT350.
So it looks like a Bullitt filter assembly would have done the trick even if the GT350 parts stayed the same as 2017.

Kboeh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack, 2019 Mustang Ecoboost performance Pack, 1978 Pontiac Trans Am
So it looks like a Bullitt filter assembly would have done the trick even if the GT350 parts stayed the same as 2017.
Yep, that's what leads me to believe it was a cost thing. Keep their cost lower and profit higher.

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LB Ecoboost 6mt pony pack vert, 06 EB Explorer
Dropped off my car this morning to get flashed and have the K&N installed. Had my laptop all preped and ready for them but they refused it saying that they needed to use a ford laptop to prove to ford it was done properly. I already downloaded tune to my fp account, wonder if they'll need access to that.
Do I need to retrieve the backup file from the dealer after they finish? Also how do I use the procal software to make sure it's been properly installed, will it say something on the first screen where it shows the battery and dongle version?

Kboeh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
Dropped off my car this morning to get flashed and have the K&N installed. Had my laptop all preped and ready for them but they refused it saying that they needed to use a ford laptop to prove to ford it was done properly. I already downloaded tune to my fp account, wonder if they'll need access to that.
Do I need to retrieve the backup file from the dealer after they finish? Also how do I use the procal software to make sure it's been properly installed, will it say something on the first screen where it shows the battery and dongle version?
How much were you quoted for install? My dealer just quoted me $850 for the kit and install.

Sponsored

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How much were you quoted for install? My dealer just quoted me $850 for the kit and install.
He had said "about" an hour in the past, though I'm nervous they are gonna slam me when I get there. Your dealer probably charging you msrp for kit whitch is over $600...add on 1.5 hours labor and tax and you are around 850. I got kit for $400 at Levittown ford.

Kboeh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
He had said "about" an hour in the past, though I'm nervous they are gonna slam me when I get there. Your dealer probably charging you msrp for kit whitch is over $600...add on 1.5 hours labor and tax and you are around 850. I got kit for $400 at Levittown ford.
They had initially told me the kit was $580 with tax. I guess if I order from Levitown and bring it in it'll be cheaper which is what I was planning on. Looks like I'm stuck with around $650-700.

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So this is new, my dealer would not do the install because they didn't want to use my laptop and they cannot download the tune again since I had already downloaded it to my system.
So they charged me a half an hour labor at $70 with tax to install the air filter and advised me to do the install myself and wrote onto the receipt that because this is a Ford approved upgrade it will not void the warranty. Hopefully this hold up with other dealerships/fp if I need service but at least I have some sort of documentation I worked with the dealer to do the upgrade. I don't regret downloading it before I got there because otherwise I assume the program would be on their system and I would be totally reliant on them to even check the software.

lawrencecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost PP
If the FP file format follows the 15-17 it should look similar to below when you complete the install and go back and look at main page:

MGMEABG.H32 (HR3A-SEMM2M-GD)

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the FP file format follows the 15-17 it should look similar to below when you complete the install and go back and look at main page:

MGMEABG.H32 (HR3A-SEMM2M-GD)
Thanks. What number is supposed to change? I noticed that the "PCM Software ID" is the only thing that changed...all different characters, but same format as yours. Midway through it was telling me to "turn off module" and the pdf instructions it downloaded didn't warn me of that. So I disconnected the procal and it aborted...I guess by "module" they just mean turn off ignition, because when I tried again and did that it worked. The instructions say you have to flash twice if it aborts but it didn't make me do that.
Also not sure where it backs up your original pcm file? The only .pc3 file it saved is the same name as software id the car is running now, assuming the performance tune.

Last edited:

Sponsored

lawrencecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost PP
yes it is the PCM software ID that changes, i believe when it prompts to turn off module that means turn off ignition

lawrencecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost PP
the back up gets embedded into the pc3 file

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks man. When I did a test drive idle felt less smooth so it must have worked and is doing it's octane learning now.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
So this is new, my dealer would not do the install because they didn't want to use my laptop and they cannot download the tune again since I had already downloaded it to my system.
So they charged me a half an hour labor at $70 with tax to install the air filter and advised me to do the install myself and wrote onto the receipt that because this is a Ford approved upgrade it will not void the warranty. Hopefully this hold up with other dealerships/fp if I need service but at least I have some sort of documentation I worked with the dealer to do the upgrade. I don't regret downloading it before I got there because otherwise I assume the program would be on their system and I would be totally reliant on them to even check the software.
The dealer is wrong. The warranty comes from Ford Performance. The tune has to be registered with FP to get the warranty. The dealer writing on your receipt isn't worth the paper it is written on.

The line about not using your laptop is BS. I recommend you find an independent performance shop that will do it and give you a receipt and a copy of one of the techs ASE certification. Send that and the receipt for the tune purchase to FP. They will register the tune for the warranty.

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, yes and no. I believe the FP warranty is necessary only if the dealer or ford find engine damage to be caused by the tune. Since I purchased and service my car at this dealer (who's been in business since 1969) and I have documentation from them saying the tune won't void my warranty I feed reasonably comfortable that I will hopefully never need the fp warranty, which is subpar anyways. If they deny an issue I'll call my attorney.
I'll still try to register with FP since I have documentation I was instructed my an ASE tech. I mean, does FP insist an ASE tech must DO the work or oversee it?? I'm a realtor, my life is arguing points till people get tired of hearing from me lol.
Sponsored