Sponsored

Ford Racing ProCal Tune

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Hmm perhaps by that time would could then get a 2050 Mustang with AWD, 22" wheels, 3 traction control modes and driverless steering to help you out. :D

After living through 50 winters of the crap , I now chuckle at it. :lol:

TC :)
Yes, you chuckle from Florida. The problem isn't the winter, its living somewhere without it for a while and then going back. I never minded it until I spent 10 years in SoCal, now that I know what its like to think 70 is cold I can't stand it haha.
Sponsored

KV Racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP
Yes, you chuckle from Florida. The problem isn't the winter, its living somewhere without it for a while and then going back. I never minded it until I spent 10 years in SoCal, now that I know what its like to think 70 is cold I can't stand it haha.
I agree completely, although it gets a little colder here than 70's. ;)

I grew up in Iowa and lived there for 32 yrs, and it gets cold and crappy there. When I first moved to NC, I couldnt believe the way everyone acted when it got dow in to the 30's. Man, you would have thought it was the Arctic. But now that I have been here for 15 yrs, I dont know if I could make it thru a couple feet of snow and sub zero temps with wind chill that would give freezer burn to packaged chicken :bolt:.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, it's crazy, I lived 13 years in NJ and then 37 years in Illinois, the winters were just horrid. I moved to Florida and it's like dam, why didn't I think of this earlier, lol.

When it gets in the 40's here they open up the heating shelters, it's crazy.

TC :)

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Yea i guess its little early to ask. Just trying to figure out if its a tire issue or just that I need to play with my launch more.
There is a 0-60 thread buried here someplace... you might compare your times there.

I find it difficult since different road surfaces require different launch techniques. Not to mention being "hard" on the car for no practical reason.

I'll more than likely run a 0-60 if I make a change to the car...

OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
I did not get the FP tune yet but getting closer to giving it a go. I have now asked 3 different ford dealerships about the warranty since I also have a CPO warranty and I'm at 30000 miles. I asked all 3 that if my motor blows up at say 75000 miles with this tune what will happen. All 3 have said it will be covered by ford. One has a ford performance shop in the dealership and said he is asked this all the times for various mods. But I was lucky enough to email all my questions to one and in an email response I was told my engine would be covered if it blows at 80000 miles. The way the one place explained to me the only time it would be an issue is if the Ford Performance part actually failed and caused damage. Such as the intake breaking apart and a part getting sucked into the motor. Of course they all said that any other aftermarket tune will certainly void warranty because it is a tune that Ford had no involvement with and could be taking any parameters way out of the safety zone.
Take a look at the language of the Ford Performance warranty form: https://performanceparts.ford.com/warranty/include/pdf/Select_Parts_Warranty_Statement_2015.pdf

Installation of these select Ford Performance and mountune warranted performance packs and
components by an authorized installer will NOT void your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Engine, driveline
and suspension concerns not caused by the use of Ford Performance or mountune parts remain eligible for
warranty coverage according to the terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
The language is consistent with that you were told. The only time the warranty would not be covered is if the FP part specifically caused the failure. One issue that has caused ecoboost or any TDI engine to throw a rod that is not tuned related is a stuck injector leaning out the engine.

While it's not a common cause, it can happen and in that cause, you would end up throwing a rod due to detonation, but Ford would be footing the bill and not you despite the Ford Performance tune even if it happened at 75,000 miles because you have the extended warranty.

For anyone that depends on the car as a daily driver, I don't think it makes sense to use an aftermarket tune, not unless you have the cash to pay for a new engine outright and still have a nice cushion after paying for the engine (maybe 15k in savings).

While I do have that cash on-hand myself, I'm not willing to risk throwing away 7k on a new engine just for bragging rights of being 1 second quicker on the 1/4 mile. Low 13's is still respectable and faster than cars costing 10k more (aka WRX STI and Focus RS that both run 13.4's). If you do have that much extra cash, why not have bought the GT from the get go?

To me, that cash is for unpredictable emergencies such as job loss / injury / medical emergencies etc, not things that are in my control. Not to mention the 3-4 week headache of waiting for the engine swap and cost of a rental. Many of you know, but my wife was just killed in a car accident in January, I had absolutely no idea that was the last time I'd see her this side of eternity. Life can be unpredictable and I am proof of that, for me, just isn't worth the worry. I just saw another thread on this forum about a blown engine. While thankfully the guy has the cash to cover the cost, that's 7k wasted. He would of been better off putting 7k down on a GT which is the price difference, then he could have run high 12's / low 13's all day or mid 12's if he got a performance pack for it.

Now if the mustang is a secondary car, aka a weekend Toy, sure you can afford the risk because your not out a car you depend on. The story is a little different then, but you'd still have the cost of a new engine, even if you put in a used one yourself, the time, tools or labor etc. I think if your going to risk a $7,000 engine and you have cash you would have really been better off with the GT from the start to get the performance.

BTW, the more I drive with the FP tune / CAI / Inter cooler and 3.73 rear end the more I appreciate the refinement. It's super smooth in it's power delivery and I love the throttle curve (I have an MT-82 manual, not auto, so I can't comment on the R80 tuning for those with autos).

I really think this thing will run bottom of 13's and hopefully in a couple months when it warms up I can give it a try (assuming the local track is finished in the spring as they say).

Sponsored

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Lion. Thanks for your insight. I feel pretty much exactly like your thoughts. Engineers think a like. Lol. I have to say I probably plan to get into a gt sometime and that's what's holding me back from investing too much into this one. But it could be a couple years as I build my gt fund. It would really piss me off to blow the motor and use my future gt money to get it running again. The problem is the gap between gt and my eco is about 9 to 10 grand to go premium to premium. And I struggle with that much cost for some sound, extra hp and the respect that the eco just doesn't get. In reality the ford tune would really fit my needs plenty good. Time will tell.

4bangin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost deep impact blue
Lion, I am very sorry to here about your wife.My condolences to you and your family.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Lion. Thanks for your insight. I feel pretty much exactly like your thoughts. Engineers think a like. Lol. I have to say I probably plan to get into a gt sometime and that's what's holding me back from investing too much into this one. But it could be a couple years as I build my gt fund. It would really piss me off to blow the motor and use my future gt money to get it running again. The problem is the gap between gt and my eco is about 9 to 10 grand to go premium to premium. And I struggle with that much cost for some sound, extra hp and the respect that the eco just doesn't get. In reality the ford tune would really fit my needs plenty good. Time will tell.
I'm going the opposite way, I went from a 1000hp Firebird to a 700hp Cobra to a 450hp GT and now to this car, which I plan to mod more for appearance than power. I live in a state with a large police presence and no tracks to speak of, 500hp isn't going to make me enjoy the car any more. I loved the look of the S550 platform but I couldn't see a reason to pay 10-12k more for a front heavy 5.0 car that I already had on the S197 platform.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I might very well just stick with my car. Cosmetically it is exactly what I want and handling. Magnetic with 20" foundry wheels with the Ford suspension package which lowers a little with wheel spacers. I really do like the premium features too. Actually I'm also not that impressed with the GT sound of exhaust. Most are just to raspy and blare too. Not really a good deep sound to my ears like my old fox gt. I know I would love the top end pull occasionally from the gt. But honestly it hard to get past the emotional part of not having a gt. The eco just doesn't get respect and the feeling when someone asks you what motor you got in that and you need to explain its a pretty darn good 4 cylinder and they look at you like Oh. Yeah right. But like you said, the extra cost just is hard to justify. Maybe I'll do the Ford tune and put Some SVO emblems on to make it more "special" lol.

KV Racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP
I could have bought a GT if I wanted to, but I didnt want a 15 mpg daily driver. I already have one of those sitting in the driveway, what in the hell do I want another one for?
People ask all the time "why didnt you buy a GT?"
Me, "this was 10K less than a GT with the same options, it's my daily driver, it makes over 300 hp and gets 30 mpg."
Them, "it makes that much? But it's just a 4 cylinder."
Besides, I am past that point in my life where I need a 200 mph "street" car. Around here there really isnt anywhere to stretch one out, there is always gonna be someone who makes more money (or like my coworker who's daddy is CEO of a pharma company) has access to more money and is going to be faster. If I want to go fast, I have a racecar I can go as fast as I want in without fear of Martha pulling out in front of me or switching lanes in front of me because she cant judge that kind of speed and killing us both.

Sponsored

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I might very well just stick with my car. Cosmetically it is exactly what I want and handling. Magnetic with 20" foundry wheels with the Ford suspension package which lowers a little with wheel spacers. I really do like the premium features too. Actually I'm also not that impressed with the GT sound of exhaust. Most are just to raspy and blare too. Not really a good deep sound to my ears like my old fox gt. I know I would love the top end pull occasionally from the gt. But honestly it hard to get past the emotional part of not having a gt. The eco just doesn't get respect and the feeling when someone asks you what motor you got in that and you need to explain its a pretty darn good 4 cylinder and they look at you like Oh. Yeah right. But like you said, the extra cost just is hard to justify. Maybe I'll do the Ford tune and put Some SVO emblems on to make it more "special" lol.
The Ford tune is really worth it. Totally changes the feel of the car to how it "should" be from the factory. I also agree with you on the Coyote exhaust, I was never a big fan of how much rasp it has.

I've had nothing but good comments about my eco, the one that surprised me was most people see it from the side and think its a Mercedes. The only people who bag on them seem to be on internet forums and youtube videos, everyone else loves it.

Rcmchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost 16 PP
Same here, every comment Ive had in public has always been positive, this was my first Mustang and honestly it was not on my radar, originally was looking at Mazda 3's and A3's. I was all over the place...my brother suggested the Mustang and my initial reaction was no thanks, but ended up taking one for a spin and loved how the eco pp drove ... It's got that perfect balance of daily driver comfort /cost and fun factor.

Really the only time I see negative stuff about the eco is online or youtube comments, haha.

Also my former employer gave the eco some love on their latest annual roundup....no I dont work in editorial and had no influence :)

https://www.cars.com/articles/best-cars-for-driving-fun-2017-1420691876119/

But I did ask them to look into thr FP tune!

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I work in a very large manufacturing plant and everyone likes to razz each other all the time. It's mostly just in just good fun. Most are finally over calling it The She stang. Lol. After I explain what it is most are cool and just have fun with me. Actually a guy with a Shelby and full drag race older mustang were the most supportive. The way I explain the car to others is i want a gt when I'm talking are thinking of the car. But When I'm driving I really am solidly content. And the Ford tune would be even better.

sharp21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
My car gets tons of attention at the meets when I pop the hood. The older guys are amazed at what that little mill can do, and the young guys love turbo cars.

I drove both, GT is front heavy, mine with the PP is on rails. I've got enough power to go fast and get her sideways on demand. This has more power than the v8's I drove in High School. Lots of kids now think they need 500hp to start, but never learned car control.

No regerts!

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I could have bought a GT if I wanted to, but I didnt want a 15 mpg daily driver. I already have one of those sitting in the driveway, what in the hell do I want another one for?
People ask all the time "why didnt you buy a GT?"
Me, "this was 10K less than a GT with the same options, it's my daily driver, it makes over 300 hp and gets 30 mpg."
Yes... and insurance much less.. at least in my area. And I have a clean driving record (luckily a ticket from last year did not transfer over. :) )...

Besides, I am past that point in my life where I need a 200 mph "street" car. Around here there really isnt anywhere to stretch one out, there is always gonna be someone who makes more money (or like my coworker who's daddy is CEO of a pharma company) has access to more money and is going to be faster. If I want to go fast, I have a racecar I can go as fast as I want in without fear of Martha pulling out in front of me or switching lanes in front of me because she cant judge that kind of speed and killing us both.
I love it when talking about intercoolers someone says "if you are not heat soaked, you are not pushing the car hard enough". :D

If not on a track, where in the heck are these people driving? At least here in MD, the roads are 35/45/55 mph. Most on 495 (hwy) do 65 and maybe 70. Someone might do 80 or more for a limited run (maybe travelling out of state).

I digress... not trying to tell someone what to build or how to drive... but on the street, even these cars stock are faster than most and can get you in trouble. My neighbor last month decided we were racing and took off like a bat out of hell (I did not know we were "racing" until it was over)... it was Sunday and luckily no church people pulled out in the street. He has a modified SS that is really fast... I'm sure he had very little control once he hit those small uneven spots in the road down from our house. His back-end was jumping all over the place. It was scary, thought he was going to hit the sidewalk.

Will say I love going to the car meets and seeing people with their 600+ hp cars...
Sponsored