Sponsored

Ford Performance Tune for 2018+ GT

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t wait, just shift and all will be smooth. Unless our euros are programmed differently … ?

WD :like:
Sponsored

bigmixx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP2
Don’t wait, just shift and all will be smooth. Unless our euros are programmed differently … ?

WD :like:
Could be. On the stock tune the revs drop way too slow and there is almost always a rough 1-2-3 shift.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
There is a bit of rev hang still after WOT runs, but its very diminished vs. the stock software.

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
There is a bit of rev hang still after WOT runs, but its very diminished vs. the stock software.
Yes I’ve noticed this as well. Makes me wonder if the strategy is to prefer rpm to be a little high vs a little low on upshift in the case the car is being wound out through gears. I will ignorantly speculate as to why: I think it makes more sense to slow the engine a little at mesh vs accelerating it with respect to fuel and timing controls. Well outside my expertise though.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I’ve noticed this as well. Makes me wonder if the strategy is to prefer rpm to be a little high vs a little low on upshift in the case the car is being wound out through gears. I will ignorantly speculate as to why: I think it makes more sense to slow the engine a little at mesh vs accelerating it with respect to fuel and timing controls. Well outside my expertise though.

Its a cat protection feature.

Sponsored

bigmixx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP2
You might be on to something though. Because the shift is only smooth when the engine speed slows. Either that or the GT350 throttle body helps with with throttle response which resolves the rough shifting. Because whether you shift early in the rpm range or take it to near redline it usually results in a rough shift if you don't wait until the engine speed slows a bit before getting back on it.

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh interesting. Care to elaborate or point me somewhere? I’m curious how that’s related.

Thats what Ford Racing told me...I was a little disappointed that it was still there, not as bad as the OEM software but still there. I will see if I can find the email. They also said its part of keeping the emissions at bay for the CARB EO# as it helps burn off unburned fuel still in the intake.

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
You might be on to something though. Because the shift is only smooth when the engine speed slows. Either that or the GT350 throttle body helps with with throttle response which resolves the rough shifting. Because whether you shift early in the rpm range or take it to near redline it usually results in a rough shift if you don't wait until the engine speed slows a bit before getting back on it.
That could also be a result of engine and wheel speed not being matched at the moment you get back on throttle. I do that plenty when I’m winding it out and shifting aggressively at redline, still a skill I don’t have mastered.

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Thats what Ford Racing told me...I was a little disappointed that it was still there, not as bad as the OEM software but still there. I will see if I can find the email.
Turns out it’s easy enough to find something related online. Here’s a blog post copying an interview from Autoweek. I got about 5 search hits all with the same wording 😂 It covers VW emissions with manuals and how rev hang can avoid lean air/fuel conditions and reduce NOx.

https://canadaconnexions.com/vw-uses-engine-rev-hang-to-cut-emissions/

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Rev hang explained:

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
There is a setting that can be toggled in the ECM to turn rev hang on/off if I am reading it correctly....

tempImageLAew0I.jpg

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
There is a setting that can be toggled in the ECM to turn rev hang on/off if I am reading it correctly....

tempImageLAew0I.jpg
What are you using to see that?

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
What are you using to see that?
HP Tuners. It is from my Ford Performance tune file, I would have to dig deeper to see if any parameters can be changed...
Sponsored