Ford Performance Oil/Air Separator Service

Cody5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Performance Pack
Is the Ford performance passenger side oil/air separator on the 18-20 serviceable without removing the engine cover?

Thanks
Sponsored

Risto2G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2, Recaro, B&O K7 GSXR750
Yes, but it depends on your dexterity. I can remove mine without taking the engine cover off, but it can be a pain unclipping the hoses in the small space. After that you have to raise the reservoir off the bracket and finagle it to the left towards the opening. Takes about 5 minutes once you get use to it.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Yes, but it depends on your dexterity. I can remove mine without taking the engine cover off, but it can be a pain unclipping the hoses in the small space. After that you have to raise the reservoir off the bracket and finagle it to the left towards the opening. Takes about 5 minutes once you get use to it.
Wow, your dexterity is great - I cannot service mine unless I remove the cover.

Btw, so far, we are all GT PP2s here :sunglasses:

Risto2G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2, Recaro, B&O K7 GSXR750
So you're saying we all have immaculate taste :like:.

A flathead screwdriver helps with locking tabs on the hoses too. I just REALLY didn't want to remove the strut tower brace and cover to get to it, so I made it work any way I could.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
So you're saying we all have immaculate taste :like:.

A flathead screwdriver helps with locking tabs on the hoses too. I just REALLY didn't want to remove the strut tower brace and cover to get to it, so I made it work any way I could.
Haha I see, so that’s what you used - I’m gonna see if I can make that work. You know what’s hilarious, confusing and frustrating all at the same time, is that on the 15-17 cars, the gen 2 5.0 engine cover could be popped off easily without tools, since it used friction grommets and pegs. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I just ordered one, which is on its way. On the Bullitt, it should be relatively easy to service, since there's no pesky engine cover. Quick question: Which is the best way to empty it? Opening it, or just pouring the oil thru the lower 'nipple'? By the way, mine is going to have the metal bracket(A50A), not the 2 push-pins. Thx.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I just ordered one, which is on its way. On the Bullitt, it should be relatively easy to service, since there's no pesky engine cover. Quick question: Which is the best way to empty it? Opening it, or just pouring the oil thru the lower 'nipple'? By the way, mine is going to have the metal bracket(A50A), not the 2 push-pins. Thx.
There's really only 2 ways to empty it: Take off the cover and use a syringe to suck up the oil, or pop off the hoses, pull it off the bracket and pour the oil out through the lower port. The latter being easier of the two and with less chance of dropping a screw into the abyss that is the engine bay.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Why not drill a hole in the top? Could easily tap it and use a bolt to plug it up. Then just use a syringe to slurp up the oil via the hole. There really isn't anything special about these, they are just a simple trap, right?

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I think I'll just unhook those lines, they are easy enough. My FP catch can should be here next week.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Why not drill a hole in the top? Could easily tap it and use a bolt to plug it up. Then just use a syringe to slurp up the oil via the hole. There really isn't anything special about these, they are just a simple trap, right?
I wouldn't recommend drilling into the top. If you take it apart and look inside you'll see why.
Oil vapors come into the left port off the valve cover, condense on a very fine metal screen, collect there and drip into the collector below. Mostly air is then passed back to the intake on the other side of the screen free of oil vapors. You could drill and tap some sort of valve on the bottom but it might be hard to get at.

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I think I'll just unhook those lines, they are easy enough. My FP catch can should be here next week.
Just an install tip: When removing the valve cover bolt, unscrew it until the threads are completely loose. The bolt will not come out on it's own. To remove it, you need to pull the retaining shoulder out of the valve cover. It is held in by friction. I found the best way to do that was with a small pry bar. Pull it straight. The instructions show using a pair of needle nose and those don't work the best for this job.

OP
OP

Cody5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Performance Pack
Thanks for the input.

Would've had one installed already but mine arrived missing the bracket and I never ordered another.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Thanks for the input.

Would've had one installed already but mine arrived missing the bracket and I never ordered another.
Oh, and use the bolt head to pull it out. But you would've figured it out. Did you get your bracket?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
731-FB281-0111-456-E-B928-27-D00-B2-DEEF4.jpg

A6620-C1-C-6-AC8-42-C6-A330-A522-D0-F49-E0-E.jpg

WD :like: