Sponsored

Ford performance calibration but use the stock airbox?

Turbo Cow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
I just ordered the ford performance calibration kit that comes with gt350 style open top airbox. I definitely don't like that design.
I read the whole thread about adding a gt500 airbox with this kit.
But what about using the stock 2021 gt airbox with a k&n style filter? Is that possible? I really like that design.
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Why would you order something if you don't like it's design?

Finally21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 Race Red (All original)
I installed the performance pack on my 21 GT but quickly uninstalled it. It changed the exhaust note so much (not in a good way) I uninstalled it. I’m assuming the exhaust note change was due to the cold air intake.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Someone supposedly got it to work but you need an adapter for the 87mm throttle body so it requires extensive modification. You're better off not bothering or getting an aftermarket tune.

I think the user who did that was schmeky

Last edited:

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Because my 10 year 100,000 mile warranty says it's allowed because it's ford approved.
It's a lie unfortunately, it's not Ford approved. It counts as an aftermarket tune same as any other. They have a concurrent warranty that runs from the in service date of the vehicle for 3yr/36k miles but if you're past that and something breaks that is traced back to the power pack, you're on your own.

OP
OP
Turbo Cow

Turbo Cow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
I installed the performance pack on my 21 GT but quickly uninstalled it. It changed the exhaust note so much (not in a good way) I uninstalled it. I’m assuming the exhaust note change was due to the cold air intake.
What....
Every video I've watched with this ford tune sounds fine.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The tube where the MAF sensor is located is larger with the 350 CAI. It won't be reading the air entering the engine properly. The car might be able to compensate but I would not do it.

A simple fix for the open box is to make a cover out of cardboard or lexan. Sized right it snaps into the rubber gasket that is above the box.

I have mine still made out of cardboard. I have pics somewhere I'll add them to this thread when I find em. It works great. Heat soak is only slightly more than the stock box.

Finally21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 Race Red (All original)
What....
Every video I've watched with this ford tune sounds fine.
Maybe it was how it was installed. The dealer did it, they have a tech that does FP and Rousch installs. Who knows.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Turbo Cow

Turbo Cow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
It's a lie unfortunately, it's not Ford approved. It counts as an aftermarket tune same as any other. They have a concurrent warranty that runs from the in service date of the vehicle for 3yr/36k miles but if you're past that and something breaks that is traced back to the power pack, you're on your own.
Who makes the kit? It's made with ford parts. Who makes the hand held tuner and the tune?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Who makes the kit? It's made with ford parts. Who makes the hand held tuner and the tune?
Ford performance is a subsidiary of Ford, they are not Ford. The tune is pretty mild all things considered so I wouldn't be that concerned about any issues, but if you do pop a motor it's probably not gonna be covered, lol. If you read the warranty document that comes with the kit you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

Also funny thing, livernois actually provides those procal devices, it's not a 100% Ford kit.

But really, if you're gonna do this just install the whole kit. It won't work as well if you try to mix and match. If you're concerned about IAT's, you can get a gt500 airbox lid that will fit with this kit.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Just snaps in. I made it out of cardboard then covered it in aluminum duct tape. After I took this pic I have sprayed it with cerakote. I'll use it as a template for the lexan, I like being able to see the filter.
airbox.jpg

OP
OP
Turbo Cow

Turbo Cow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Ford performance is a subsidiary of Ford, they are not Ford. The tune is pretty mild all things considered so I wouldn't be that concerned about any issues, but if you do pop a motor it's probably not gonna be covered, lol. If you read the warranty document that comes with the kit you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

Also funny thing, livernois actually provides those procal devices, it's not a 100% Ford kit.

But really, if you're gonna do this just install the whole kit. It won't work as well if you try to mix and match. If you're concerned about IAT's, you can get a gt500 airbox lid that will fit with this kit.
I'm looking for the document that states the implications of engine damage or warranty stuff.
I'm in it for the trans tune. Everyone says it shifts better.
The gt500 cover won't fit. It would require the gt500 lid and lower airbox kit.
Sponsored