Ford GT vs ZR1 at Virginia International Raceway

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
He may be and engineer, but he's also the guy that GM chooses to use to set their track records. He has more seat time in the ZR1 than any other person and is one a hell of a driver.
Thats future me right there then :D
Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Thats future me right there then :D
For most, that would be a dream job. Me personally, I hate controls and dynamic systems...so no thank you.

OP
OP

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
You guys really think the ZR1 was out to chase the Ford GT? I highly doubted and GM probably didn't care much it can outgun the Ford GT.. But, the real competitor is the ACR Viper. That is who GM is really trying to beat IMO. but if they can boast that they beat cars 3x their price, I'm sure they will gloat about it.

The ACR Viper ran the ring in 7:01 and the 2017 Z06 driven by a German Auto group ran it in 7:13.

If I was a better man, the ZR1 will likely fall in 7:05 to 7:10.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Nah, they were definitely there to set that lap record. They may say that it was just for "Testing", but don't really have any reason or anything as to why it was that track specifically. They started advertising it as soon as they did it, the track is NOWHERE near their development center, and they sent their best driver there to do it. Ford only went to that specific track because that's the location that the car was having issues at, and they wanted to try to replicate the problem. Billy Johnson was the one driving when it initially occurred, so they wanted the same driver to try to replicate it. Ford's story makes sense... Chevy? Not so much. They're a nut swinger company, they were definitely there to try and prove a point.

and ZR1 will definitely go faster than that at the ring. I won't even be remotely surprised if it dips into the 6s

Sponsored

Childs Play

But Wait! There's More!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Shitbox
No way is the 'vette faster. The GT was out for a Sunday drive and the 'vette was white knuckling it on the edge of disaster all the way in order to look good for a magazine.

The GM test just about pegs my BS'ometer.

I agree. The 'vette doesn't deserve to be in the same conversation as the GT.

GM has better engineering? Laughable.
QQ

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
https://www.carscoops.com/2018/01/ford-wont-pursue-setting-lap-records-new-gt/

The company, though, has zero interest in doing that. And not just at VIR, but at any track.

“We have no plans to go for any lap records at VIR or other circuits going forward,” a Ford rep told the outlet. “As Jamal Hameedi, chief engineer of Ford Performance put it ‘We’ve got new cars to work on.’”

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
He may be and engineer, but he's also the guy that GM chooses to use to set their track records. He has more seat time in the ZR1 than any other person and is one a hell of a driver.
according to Corvetteforum, Jim Mero works the concession stand at VIR and the real ZR1 driver had overslept.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
These comparisons are always a joke to me.

I'm sure the ZR1 (and GT) blow away a Chiron on this road course also.

Doesn't make them either of them a Chiron.

Different cars for different purposes and different clientele.

Sponsored

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
The VIR GM outing was a 2019 Corvette Validation for multiple models, where they ran the cars over 24 hrs.

Jim Mero drove the manual Z06 and that came just slightly more than 1 sec behind the Ford GT lap record.

Then he drove the ZR1and came over 1 sec faster than the Ford GT.

All tests were done 2 weeks before they were publicized.

Jim Mero was going his job. The job of final validation and sign off on the 2019 Corvette tuning, when he set the times.o

Ford brought Ford GTs to VIR, and put their full-on LeMans race car driver in them explicitly to set a lap time.

It is all explained across multiple independent articles below:

http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/...1-already-beat-the-ford-gts-lap-record-at-vir

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2019...ts-lap-record-virginia-international-raceway/

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a15947346/2019-chevrolet-corvette-zr1-vir-lap-record/

Last edited:

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
The key piece of information is that a Z06 manual came within ~1sec of the Ford GT time, driven by Mero.

The C7.R race drivers are all much faster than Jim Mero. So conceivably, they could beat Billy Johnson's (Ford GT LeMans race driver) Ford GT VIR time in a Z06. They would not even need to go to the ZR1.

Anyone thinking that the ZR1 run was a hero run needs to explain how come a Z06 manual came within ˜1sec behind the Ford GT.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
The VIR GM outing was a 2019 Corvette Validation for multiple models, where they ran the cars over 24 hrs.

Jim Mero drove the manual Z06 and that came just slightly more than 1 sec behind the Ford GT lap record.

Then he drove the ZR1and came over 1 sec faster than the Ford GT.

All tests were done 2 weeks before they were publicized.

Jim Mero was going his job. The job of final validation and sign off on the 2019 Corvette tuning, when he set the times.o

Ford brought Ford GTs to VIR, and put their full-on LeMans race car driver in them explicitly to set a lap time.

It is all explained across multiple independent articles below:

http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/...1-already-beat-the-ford-gts-lap-record-at-vir

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2019...ts-lap-record-virginia-international-raceway/

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a15947346/2019-chevrolet-corvette-zr1-vir-lap-record/
Once again, you are totally full of shit. Ford brought GTs to VIR for car and drivers lightning lap. Billy happened to be there for different testing and did an impromptu run.

"Speaking to Road & Track, Johnson (who also happens to be one of the drivers that piloted the GT at Le Mans for the past two years) says the day at VIR was hastily organized and the record was a complete accident. "It was a last minute deal. I think I had a two-day notice before I was on a plane to go up [to VIR]," said Johnson. "It was to validate an issue with another car ... We just happened to turn a fast time when we were testing something else."

"Road & Track also reports that the record-breaking lap happened with only two other Ford employees present, in stark contrast to the full squad of mechanics and engineers usually in attendance for official lap record attempts."

You're a fool if you don't think GM was there specifically to set a track record at VIR.

The key piece of information is that a Z06 manual came within ~1sec of the Ford GT time, driven by Mero.

The C7.R race drivers are all much faster than Jim Mero. So conceivably, they could beat Billy Johnson's (Ford GT LeMans race driver) Ford GT VIR time in a Z06. They would not even need to go to the ZR1.

Anyone thinking that the ZR1 run was a hero run needs to explain how come a Z06 manual came within ˜1sec behind the Ford GT.
Again ignorance. Jim is the person GM uses to set lap records. He is the guy with the most seat time in these vehicles.

GM wasn't leaving VIR until they broke records. Ford has shown time and time again they don't care about setting lap records in the GT. All they care about is wins...which happened last week at Rolex.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
GM is known to be liars when it comes to situations like this.

The first "11 second bone stock" run that GM put out about the 5th Gen ZL1? Ooops..it actually had DR's.

The ZR1's defeat of the GTR? Well we just happen to have a team of our experts here to run the car again and again, use non-street alignments and settings..OH WOW WE WON YAY US WOO* *please don't look at the details kthx.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP

The C7.R corvette is wider, lower to the ground, lighter, does not have forced induction and has completely different chassis dynamics than the Z06 or ZR1. Hell, the Z06 and ZR1 would not even be allowed to run in the GT class with the GT.

As for the GT, it's considered damn near a "no-wavier" GT car. It's entire purpose was to win Le-mans and Rolex. It being sold to the public was a necessary by-product.
Sponsored