Sponsored

Ford GT vs ZR1 at Virginia International Raceway

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
It's still just a Corvette that'll depreciate like a rock and start falling apart after 6 months..like the last ZR1.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
That is no small task. Hats off to Chevy. Your move again, Ford.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Nice car. One thing chevy has always done better then ford is producing specialty cars.

Sponsored

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
I'd like to see them both TRY to set a time.

cj428

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R TT
a lot of people on dope.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
“Aside from a harness bar and five-point harnesses, Chevy says the ZR1 used was totally stock”

It was not showroom stock though. Who knows what else what done to the car.

C6G gave me so much material :lol:

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
(comments from another thread, better placed here)

Looks like you were right. I thought the Ford GT would have been either tied or ahead of the ZR1.
Yes, I was not going to post because it is somewhat off-topic and gloating is not nice.

However, there was never much doubt in my mind. The Z06 was already very close to the Ford GT (Z06 being even faster in tight spaces, like figure 8). The ZR1 added more power, more downforce and kept the weight the same.

You need to think about it this way....

GM has been at it year, after year, after year, with a number of RWD performance cars (Corvette, Camaro, CTS-V, ATS-V). Ford comes in, does a Ford GT, then drops out for 10 years, then does another one. There is just no way they can keep up. Even creating a no-expenses-spared $450K car, they can't keep up with steady, methodical improvements. It is the same exact phenomenon that you see with the Acura NSX - that car is absolutely horrible to drive on track. You can't just parachute in and do a performance car every 10 years.

In the end, the ZR1 (driven by a GM staff test engineer) smashed the all time VIR record by 1.37s (set by a full-on Ford GT LeMans pro race driver).

Now, I will say this. There HAS TO BE a lot of unrealized potential in the Ford GT. As a matter of fact, I think if Ford turns over the GT development to GM to tune those shocks and a few other items, the Ford GT can come back on top. Ford just doesn't have the talent and breath of experience to do it.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Did we ever get to see the FordGT’s lap? Mero’s drive in the ZR1 was certainly impressive. I also reallly like the new front end on that car. Much better than the “brace face” of the C7 and similar look on the C7Z.

GM has really been killing it on the track times for several generations on the Vette (basically since the C5Z) and also on the Camaro since the 5th gen 1LE. I do think the GT350 is about as good as the 1LE, but it is unfortunate that it is more difficult to get. I think things are much better now though, than they were initially. Maybe it will end up similar to the Z/28, with dealers trying to unload them when the next gen arrives.

I do wonder if GM has sorted the handling issues that have plagued the Z06 and to a lesser extent the Grand sport. I almost think the ZL1 may handle better than the high power vettes, but maybe that has been fixed with the ZR1.

I do wish Ford would offer something to compete with the vette, and include better cooling on the PP2 package. I would also like them to add something like the data recorder offered on the GM cars.

Great performance offered by both companies, but I think there is no question that GM makes that performance more accessible. I worry that Fords new management will not help in that regard, but here’s hoping that we will be pleasantly surprised.

-T

Sponsored

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
Great performance offered by both companies, but I think there is no question that GM makes that performance more accessible.
-T
Honestly, I don't know how or more precisely why they do it. It is great for me as a buyer, but the high volume dealers selling 1SS1LE for $38K, 2SS1LE for $45K, Z51 for $52K, Grand Sports for $62K does not seem to be a good business.

I think the performance of these Ford and GM cars that we are discussing is incredible and world class. I think Ford is correct in trying to extract more $$$ from consumers for the performance. GM just seems to produce, produce, discount, discount.

I love GM's performance pricing. But I think Ford's pricing may be better for their business.

My other vehicle addiction is Jeeps. And boy Jeep knows how to extract every single penny they can from me and others for my Wrangler Rubicon. It is just a money machine. Compared to them, GM is just like Santa Claus when it comes to Corvette/Camaro pricing.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
LOL

HILARIOUS.

Ford goes to test an issue and easily runs a crazy fast time as a result. THry weren't going crazy pushing the car and driver to their limits to set a time. It was a byproduct.

Incidentally, they get great publicity. So Chevy preps for a hero run and does it, but then tries the "oh it was just an accident. I wasn't really trying" Schtick.

The article actually acknowledges that at the end when it then speculated about the ACT Viper being driven by a child and setting a yet a new record. It's funny stuff.

But as we learned a few years back, it's difficult to trust GM to be honest.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
LOL

HILARIOUS.

Ford goes to test an issue and easily runs a crazy fast time as a result. THry weren't going crazy pushing the car and driver to their limits to set a time. It was a byproduct.

Incidentally, they get great publicity. So Chevy preps for a hero run and does it, but then tries the "oh it was just an accident. I wasn't really trying" Schtick.

The article actually acknowledges that at the end when it then speculated about the ACT Viper being driven by a child and setting a yet a new record. It's funny stuff.

I don't think either one of them were being honest one bit. You don't go to the track and set a record without trying or without even pushing the car. And I think the comment at the end reflected skepticism on both ends. They both are obviously lying. Whether it was tongue in cheek or not is up for debate. The fact that both of them set records is awesome.

SVTSNAKE351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
LOL

HILARIOUS.

Garbage Motors can never be trusted to be honest.Remember they are the Kings of sending out ringer cars.The GT350 R vs z28.The z28 that gm sent out had I think it was 525,but it came from the factory with 505.:tsk:
Sponsored