Sponsored

Ford giving up on the Ecoboost HPP already?

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
Buyer's remorse, probably. Let's be honest, there are tons of guys like that who buy the Ecoboost and then get the "why didn't you get the V8" from all their friends and everyone else. Then they get butthurt, even though the Eco is a perfectly fine and quick car.
I can attest to that lol. Get plenty of people wondering why I didn't go buy a GT (and kinda considered trying to get a GT instead), but at the end of the day I have a sportier EB with what I want optioned (touch screen, active exhaust, sportier handling, tri-bar grille (hate the stock grille)) and it's my first (and possibly last, unless techs get a good raise) brand new car.

I want a PP1 GT at minimum, but that is out of my budget unless I come across a used one someday. Until then, I have my '66 which will be getting a 302 sometime in the next few months.
Sponsored

Ninpop9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang
I would assume they haven't built the Ecoboost premiums at a high production level because of how expensive they are. I feel like if gas isn't a option more people would buy the GT for thirty grand.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I would assume they haven't built the Ecoboost premiums at a high production level because of how expensive they are. I feel like if gas isn't a option more people would buy the GT for thirty grand.
yep, I was very conscious about longterm cost and mpg was important to me, and lower overall cost. via premium EcoBoost cost same as base GT.

Cheo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
yep, I was very conscious about longterm cost and mpg was important to me, and lower overall cost. via premium EcoBoost cost same as base GT.
Buyer's remorse, probably. Let's be honest, there are tons of guys like that who buy the Ecoboost and then get the "why didn't you get the V8" from all their friends and everyone else. Then they get butthurt, even though the Eco is a perfectly fine and quick car.
I own 4 V8 Mustangs, wanted something different, so got a HPP HP Ecoboost. Enjoying it every day! No regrets on this purchase, the car is what I expected it to be, actually better.

Epona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rad
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
I travel a LOT by air (yes, even in the COVID Era, so have Emerald Executive rating with National, so sometimes get to rent something nice. Last week I grabbed a 2020 Ecoboost convertible, and found it a lot of fun, even though at home I have a 2015 GT convertible with a fair number of enhancements. It candidly seemed zippier at low speeds, although I will say it needs wider real wheels, as I found myself squealing out when during many turns. I also noted that the ten automatic gears seem to know when to shift better than the six in my automatic GT at home.

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I think the OP is concerned about nothing. The 2.3 HPP Ecoboost is a new offering by Ford that will pick up in sales as people become more aware of what the HPP is all about. There is no reason for Ford dealers to stock the HPP when they have buyers for the regular Ecoboost and Mustang GTs. The 2.3 HPP is for people who like to custom order their cars.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
There is no reason for Ford dealers to stock the HPP
the dealer behind my house had their HPP sit for 15 months with no sale. I think they pawned it off onto another dealer via auction. Ted Britt had a couple of them and they sat for at least 9 months.

Ford, we're not impressed with your fantastic price gouging.

Last edited:

TXAG96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21Bronco,'20Bullitt,'01Boxster,'87Tbird-Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I have the best of both worlds,
I have an original HP EcoBoost powered car plus the '20 Bullitt.
I'd love to swap a modern 2.3 EB in my old Bird.
EDIT: So to answer the OP's question, I doubt Ford will really give up on the EB.... is been around for decades in some form. UNLESS it all goes to hell and turn ev.....

87Tbird.JPG

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
So to answer the OP's question, Ford never really give up on the EB.... is been around for decades in some form.

87Tbird.JPG
Todd, you're bird is awesome. These were/are great cars. I wish they would try and find a way to bring back the name.

I went back to the OP and reread it. The question was why there were so few EB HPP's on dealers lots? Lack of dealer inventory was the reason for his question. The fact that Ford is continuing the HPP and handling package for 2021 answers the question. I consider the EB HPP a "specialty" Mustang and I guess the dealers do to. They want to stock what sells on a day to day basis. EB HPP's do not fit that mold.

MustangorCamaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
So to answer the OP's question, Ford never really give up on the EB.... is been around for decades in some form.

87Tbird.JPG
Cot damn nice Thunderbird!! I was going to bid on this: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-ford-thunderbird-6/

But my max would have been $10k-$11k and it went through that on day 2. Would have been a dumb purchase for me anyhoo. I grew up with a kid that had 2 SVO's when they came out 84 and 86. Rich family back then ha! I've always had a soft sport for anything 2.3 turbo.

Sponsored

Doc2020GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP 2018 Explorer. 2012 Toyota Tacoma

87Tbird.JPG
Beautiful T Bird, looks very well taken care of. That black is unreal.

TXAG96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21Bronco,'20Bullitt,'01Boxster,'87Tbird-Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the nice comments. Its the original paint and 46K miles. The paint is best at 10ft+ lol.
It came from PA and has some acid rain spots.
Sorry to hijack the thread....

Last edited:

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Shogun32 proved my point. The 2.3 HPP is not for everyone. There is no reason for a dealer to stock a car that is in an area where there is no market for such a car. There is a limited number of people who want the ultimate Ecoboost Mustang. Even though they are small in number , there are people willing to pay more for a top of the line Ecoboost Mustang. Even though my 2020 2.3 HPP Mustang had an MSRP of 43665.00 dollars , I would have been okay with paying MSRP. My 2.3 HPP has the handling package, Recaro seats, and the high performance 2.3 liter engine and is well worth the price. I would put the 2.3 HPP above any car of that price. Ford got it right with the 2.3 HPP. The 2.3 HPP is one of my favorite Mustangs.

OP
OP
ice445

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
EDIT: So to answer the OP's question, I doubt Ford will really give up on the EB.... is been around for decades in some form. UNLESS it all goes to hell and turn ev.....

87Tbird.JPG
Holy mother of god is that nice. I'm mega jealous.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
The T-Bird body style Bill Elliot made famous. One of Ford better designs.
Sponsored