Sponsored

Ford Customer Service Help/Escalation needed

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Anyone have a direct line to a Ford customer service higher up? My BIL bought his second GT350 in July (long story) and it's been a huge PITA. Bought it in Alabama, had it delivered to his local dealer (Valencia,CA). The car simply would not pass smog, they blew all sorts of smoke up his ass about needing to log lots of miles, special cycle, yadda yadda.

After 1200 miles and numerous failed attempts, Ford finally said the motor was shot. Took over a month to replace. Gave the same BS about needing to drive it a lot. Logged 800 miles on motor number 2. Still fails Smog, this time for all sorts of other crap. Im guessing the first motor was burning a lot of oil and ruined the cats/O2s, but who knows.

The local dealer has been everything but helpful since they didn't sell the car. At this point he just wants to lemon it, but that is difficult since it was bought out of state. Had the car for almost 6 months, still can't legally register it, complete cluster.

This is the 6th mustang in our family, so needless to say we are sorely disappointed with how Ford has been handling it. We tried calling Ford Performance directly and they said it's not their problem. Any help is much appreciated
Sponsored

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Anyone have a direct line to a Ford customer service higher up? My BIL bought his second GT350 in July (long story) and it's been a huge PITA. Bought it in Alabama, had it delivered to his local dealer (Valencia,CA). The car simply would not pass smog, they blew all sorts of smoke up his ass about needing to log lots of miles, special cycle, yadda yadda.

After 1200 miles and numerous failed attempts, Ford finally said the motor was shot. Took over a month to replace. Gave the same BS about needing to drive it a lot. Logged 800 miles on motor number 2. Still fails Smog, this time for all sorts of other crap. Im guessing the first motor was burning a lot of oil and ruined the cats/O2s, but who knows.

The local dealer has been everything but helpful since they didn't sell the car. At this point he just wants to lemon it, but that is difficult since it was bought out of state. Had the car for almost 6 months, still can't legally register it, complete cluster.

This is the 6th mustang in our family, so needless to say we are sorely disappointed with how Ford has been handling it. We tried calling Ford Performance directly and they said it's not their problem. Any help is much appreciated
So is it possible it doesn't meet California emmissions standards which are different than the free states?...

CaptainUnderpants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray Shelby GT350
Bought mine out of state in oregon and brought it to Cali and smogged it.

The GT350 is a 50 state car, meaning there is no difference between Cali cars and the other 49 state cars. You CAN'T buy a 49 state car (non CA compliant) and bring it into CA unless it is used, which is defined as 7,500 miles or more.

So there should be no issue with buying a GT350 out of state, and the car should be capable of passing smog. If it can't pass smog when new, it would likely fail at the 4 year mark which I believe is the first time a new car sold instate is smogged.

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
Bought mine out of state in oregon and brought it to Cali and smogged it.

The GT350 is a 50 state car, meaning there is no difference between Cali cars and the other 49 state cars. You CAN'T buy a 49 state car (non CA compliant) and bring it into CA unless it is used, which is defined as 7,500 miles or more.

So there should be no issue with buying a GT350 out of state, and the car should be capable of passing smog. If it can't pass smog when new, it would likely fail at the 4 year mark which I believe is the first time a new car sold instate is smogged.
For california on brand new cars, first smog is due 6 model years later. Otherwise you are correct.

OP
OP
krt22

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
So is it possible it doesn't meet California emmissions standards which are different than the free states?...

Nope. They are 50 state cars, I bought mine out of state and smogged it no issue with normal driving (~100 miles). I think there is something legitimately wrong with the car my BIL bought.

The selling dealer (Alabama) originally stated they would just transfer the car to the local dealer and that the local dealer would be the official seller (ie eliminating the need to smog it, etc), even took the full price plus CA sales tax. They eventually changed course and completed the sale and just shipped it to the local Ford dealer. They already had to fight those ding dongs getting them to release a check to pay the CA sales tax (which they still have not done since the car wont pass smog). Likely looking at penalties from the state now as well

Sponsored

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
what a pain. so sorry to hear about this for your BIL. i got my R shipped from TX to CA and had it smogged, no problem. can your BIL contact the GM of the alabama dealer and ask for help? ask the GM to escalate; i am sure he has some kind of connections. this situation is ridiculous. i can only imagine the level of frustration of all the little details he has had to deal with. keep us posted.

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)
If the car has all codes cleared, then you need to put some miles on it for the ODB to get enough data to set values for smog. About 100 miles is usually sufficient. The miles your dealer was suggesting is excessive.

A tool like ODBLink will be able to tell you when it is ready for smog.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
The 100 mile thing didn't work for me. Mainly because I was driving... not normal. Toned it way down, went back in at the 500mi mark, and it passed. Have you guys tried just driving the car like a Camry until it passes smog?

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Haven't seen you in a while Krt22. Good luck with this issue.

OP
OP
krt22

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Thanks man. I still have my car, still love it, zero issues, doesn't drink a drop of oil.

At this point my BIL is likely just going to retain an attorney and let them handle it.

OP
OP
krt22

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The 100 mile thing didn't work for me. Mainly because I was driving... not normal. Toned it way down, went back in at the 500mi mark, and it passed. Have you guys tried just driving the car like a Camry until it passes smog?

Yeah, they gave him the OBDII cycle stuff to carry out. At this point I'm guessing the emissions equipment is fouled from the first motor, but really not something the consumer should have to sort out given how long the issue is persisting.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Requiring smog on a brand new car. What a (&^&*%^ scam. That's just sad.

OP
OP
krt22

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Yeah that is commiefornia for ya, even though it says its a 50 state car right on the window sticker. Sadly, if the original dealer did the courtesy transfer as originally agreed upon, all of this would have been avoided. (well minus the first motor blowing)
Sponsored