Sponsored

Ford bringing Apple CarPlay to all Sync 3 equipped vehicles.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7

Chris R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford GT Premium
So are we expecting this by the end of the year for 2016 owners?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
I read it the same way, I mean, LTE communication can't be implemented in software unless there's a dormant/unactivated LTE sub-system in place - and the '17s and up will have the hardware (assuming a comm chip/radio/antennae).

I wonder if the Sync 3 hardware has some kind of communication bus, so adding it would be simply buying the hardware (like an external LTE "box"), getting the system flashed, or if it's some kind of Sync 3 v2.0 where the main controller/HU has it tightly integrated.
That was actually my assumption after the announcement. I don't think it's far-fetched to think that Ford included the appropriate hardware within all SYNC3 systems for the eventual rollout of 4G LTE, which probably wasn't ready for primetime until now so they didn't mention it prior to now.

Probably wishful thinking but it's not out of the question.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
That was actually my assumption after the announcement. I don't think it's far-fetched to think that Ford included the appropriate hardware within all SYNC3 systems for the eventual rollout of 4G LTE, which probably wasn't ready for primetime until now so they didn't mention it prior to now.

Probably wishful thinking but it's not out of the question.
Hey, I'm with you, I'd love for that to be the case. :cheers:

Sponsored

Tweezy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
17'GT on Order
Really glad to see Apple play and I wish the article had more information on the apps that would work. Really could have saved on navigation since the phone navigation updates more frequently just would like to know if google maps on iPhone is supported oh well 2017 model information should be coming out in a couple more month

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Really glad to see Apple play and I wish the article had more information on the apps that would work. Really could have saved on navigation since the phone navigation updates more frequently just would like to know if google maps on iPhone is supported oh well 2017 model information should be coming out in a couple more month
Just read up on Apple's own page for CarPlay. http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

There are some third-party apps that work on it, but it's mostly just Apple's first party apps so far. But it's early days.

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
I read it the same way, I mean, LTE communication can't be implemented in software unless there's a dormant/unactivated LTE sub-system in place - and the '17s and up will have the hardware (assuming a comm chip/radio/antennae).

I wonder if the Sync 3 hardware has some kind of communication bus, so adding it would be simply buying the hardware (like an external LTE "box"), getting the system flashed, or if it's some kind of Sync 3 v2.0 where the main controller/HU has it tightly integrated.
For those that remember the 2nd Gen ipod, it didn't come bluetooth enabled, but all the hardware was there for it. After almost 6 months they released the firmware upgrade for it. It cost $10, but we'll with it. By the way, still have the 2nd Gen ipod, buts my only apple product. Currently on a Samsung galaxy note4

Sponsored

ZIGZGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red GT Premium PP
Is there anyone else other than me disappointed that this doesn't work via Bluetooth, and that you have to plug it in? I got Sync 3 for the ability to update to CarPlay. Seeing as I actually have to use a USB cord I doubt I'll use it much now. Dumb.

mbaran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Apparently Apple won't let anyone do BT CarPlay, VW tried to demo it at CES and got shut down.

At least the mustang has a 2A charging circuit so it's a fast charge.

SLA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Is there anyone else other than me disappointed that this doesn't work via Bluetooth, and that you have to plug it in? I got Sync 3 for the ability to update to CarPlay. Seeing as I actually have to use a USB cord I doubt I'll use it much now. Dumb.

No vehicle does CarPlay over BT. Same with android auto. Both have to be plugged in.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Good thing is there are two usb ports available so you can plug in your phone real quick or even dock it with the right dock.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
No vehicle does CarPlay over BT. Same with android auto. Both have to be plugged in.
Apple announced the APIs for wireless CarPlay at WWDC last year. iOS 9 supports some level of this. VW was set to demo it at CES last week but Apple restricted them from doing so. Probably because it's not quite ready for primetime or they just want manufacturers to nail down their wired support first before trying to spend effort on the wireless side of it. It'll probably see wide release after an Apple media event in the spring or at the next WWDC in June.

http://mashable.com/2015/06/08/apple-carplay-going-wireless/#pDc.t8VHKPqY

http://blog.caranddriver.com/apple-blocked-volkswagen-from-demonstrating-wireless-carplay-at-ces/
Sponsored