Sponsored

Ford bringing Apple CarPlay to all Sync 3 equipped vehicles.

sk8erord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Performance Pack
They stated that you need an upgraded USB module for apple car play which is why you have to go into the dealer for the upgrade. Glad I use Android, too bad I have MFT. :(
Sponsored

mbaran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
They stated that you need an upgraded USB module for apple car play which is why you have to go into the dealer for the upgrade. Glad I use Android, too bad I have MFT. :(
I missed that, where's it say that? I can't find any details.

sk8erord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Performance Pack
Sorry, saw it in the R&T article:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/news/a27784/all-2017-model-year-fords-will-have/
For Android Auto, the update will take place over night and over the air as long as owners have their cars connected to their home Wi-Fi. CarPlay is a bit tricker. Because CarPlay requires a more advanced USB module, iPhone owners will have to take their cars to a dealer for a hardware upgrade, according to Alan Hall, Ford's technology, research, and innovation communications manager.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
CarPlay is a bit tricker. Because CarPlay requires a more advanced USB module, iPhone owners will have to take their cars to a dealer for a hardware upgrade, according to Alan Hall, Ford's technology, research, and innovation communications manager.
"More advanced USB module" is pretty vague ... they can't be suggesting a 3.0 USB port, the Lightning implementation on all iPhones is only 2.0, the communication protocol is standard.

This sounds like malarkey :D

mbaran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
"More advanced USB module" is pretty vague ... they can't be suggesting a 3.0 USB port, the Lightning implementation on all iPhones is only 2.0, the communication protocol is standard.

This sounds like malarkey :D
It's strange, half the articles mention it, and half dont. Not to mention that apps already work via the phone, such as Spotify and Ford Owner.

Wonder if this is a misquote or what? I would hope that iPhone owners don't need to shell out more money to use this.

Sponsored

cyberbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT On Order
So now my big quandary, car is on order but no build date or Vin yet, Kill the Nav option and save $800 bucks?

I only use it a few times a month but have had times were I have had a company phone with no internet on it, so I would be forced to have a 2nd phone for stuff like this. Right now I have my own iPhone with data.

mbaran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
So now my big quandary, car is on order but no build date or Vin yet, Kill the Nav option and save $800 bucks?

I only use it a few times a month but have had times were I have had a company phone with no internet on it, so I would be forced to have a 2nd phone for stuff like this. Right now I have my own iPhone with data.
I was reading that some manufacturers who have CarPlay (KIA?) requires that the car have navigation to use navigation via CarPlay.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
Really glad I stuck to my guns and waited to buy a 2016 for SYNC3. Now I can get the upgrade for Android Auto, and the big surprise is it seems 4G LTE connectivity too via upgrade!

SYNC3 has been fantastic so far, and I like that Ford is giving us options.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
would be curious to see what it would take for a 15 GT Premium to go to the 2017 Sync 3. Been plenty of threads doing base to premium

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
It's strange, half the articles mention it, and half dont. Not to mention that apps already work via the phone, such as Spotify and Ford Owner.

Wonder if this is a misquote or what? I would hope that iPhone owners don't need to shell out more money to use this.
What you're referring to with Spotify and Ford Owner is AppLink, Ford's own "apps on your car" implementation which is different than Apple's CarPlay which is a kind of remote view of your phone on the in-car display. It's kind of hard to put into words and Ford isn't helping the confusion, but they're obviously hedging their bets in multiple directions.

Sponsored

mbaran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I get the difference.

I meant that since the hardware can already leverage apps which run on iPhone, will it really be necessary to have hardware retrofit for this to work.

Half of the articles mention a software only update and some say that for iPhones the dealers will have to add hardware at an unknown cost.

Considering Ford knew they were doing CarPlay on Sync3 before the '16 mustang shipped I find it troubling that hardware may be required to be purchased and installed.

cyberbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT On Order
Really glad I stuck to my guns and waited to buy a 2016 for SYNC3. Now I can get the upgrade for Android Auto, and the big surprise is it seems 4G LTE connectivity too via upgrade!

SYNC3 has been fantastic so far, and I like that Ford is giving us options.
The way I read this is that the 4g part is only on the 2017 and the 2016 will just get the CarPlay/ android part.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
The way I read this is that the 4g part is only on the 2017 and the 2016 will just get the CarPlay/ android part.
I read it the same way, I mean, LTE communication can't be implemented in software unless there's a dormant/unactivated LTE sub-system in place - and the '17s and up will have the hardware (assuming a comm chip/radio/antennae).

I wonder if the Sync 3 hardware has some kind of communication bus, so adding it would be simply buying the hardware (like an external LTE "box"), getting the system flashed, or if it's some kind of Sync 3 v2.0 where the main controller/HU has it tightly integrated.

Asonitez

I go 71 in a 70 *REBEL*
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tristian
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT Premium
I really hope I don't have to take my car to the dealer for a new USB. I HATE IT when anyone has to "modify" anything. I always feel like they never put things back they way they are supposed to.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I really hope I don't have to take my car to the dealer for a new USB. I HATE IT when anyone has to "modify" anything. I always feel like they never put things back they way they are supposed to.
Yeah, especially interior pieces, they never seem to fit back like they did from the factory build.
Sponsored