Sponsored

Ford bringing Apple CarPlay to all Sync 3 equipped vehicles.

olla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well this is the reason I waited for 2016 MY and didn't get navigation (hardly use it anyways). We will see if/when the update happens.
Theres some cars that need the navigation module for Apple CarPlay Navigation to function. If you don't have the module, the nav won't work. Several car companies have done this. I think one of them is Hyundai. So probably Ford will do the same.
Sponsored

StangMan04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Theres some cars that need the navigation module for Apple CarPlay Navigation to function. If you don't have the module, the nav won't work. Several car companies have done this. I think one of them is Hyundai. So probably Ford will do the same.
Oh well, no worries. If it doesn't work, I won't be too upset. I rarely use it, but would be nice to have it. I would bet you are correct with that assumption though.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
I wonder if Ford has a roadmap to support Native IOS or Android Apps on the Sync 3 platform, for example, would be great to download the Waze App on Sync 3
The whole point of the CarPlay and Android Auto support is that your phone runs the apps because you're likely to get a new phone much sooner than you get a new car. This is a happy medium that keeps you running mobile software on the device that's likely to be newest.

Besides that, you'll never find iOS running on anything but Apple devices.

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
no big deal. you kind of already have it. The only difference is.....

before "apple car play" you have to push the button on the phone to get siri to work over sync.

now you can push the button on the wheel. it is not that big of deal.

Sponsored

Bob S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Package
So, I'm wondering if the following statement from Ford means they'll charge for the CarPlay option for existing cars?:

Owners of 2016 vehicles equipped with SYNC 3 will have an opportunity to upgrade later in the year.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
no big deal. you kind of already have it. The only difference is.....

before "apple car play" you have to push the button on the phone to get siri to work over sync.

now you can push the button on the wheel. it is not that big of deal.
That's not _quite_ Car Play, it's simply Siri integration for hands-free operation, it's in my '16, works well, it can invoke a few basic services (the car itself also has hands-free, voice activation for services, so many articles have confused the two).

There's also Ford apps, where an app has to be written to comply with Fords "car API", then it can provide a car-side UI, since this is so proprietary, the number of apps written to provide this additional service - as you might imagine - is very low.

This next step is pretty major, because while Car Play is still in pretty nascent as a technology, there's way more interest in developers circles, and by taking over the car UI (for media services), it can provide a much better experience (vs. using the native Sync 3 UI).

:cheers:

blue87turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
So, I'm wondering if the following statement from Ford means they'll charge for the CarPlay option for existing cars?:

Owners of 2016 vehicles equipped with SYNC 3 will have an opportunity to upgrade later in the year.
It will most likely be handled the same way as every other MFT update. You can download it to a USB stick for free off their website, then update the software yourself. Or take it to the dealer and they'll do it. I've never been charged for updates.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
It will most likely be handled the same way as every other MFT update. You can download it to a USB stick for free off their website, then update the software yourself. Or take it to the dealer and they'll do it. I've never been charged for updates.
Maybe over WiFi, there's something that makes me smile about downloading updates directly to the car :D

blue87turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
Maybe over WiFi, there's something that makes me smile about downloading updates directly to the car :D
Haha I forgot that was an option! Much better than the USB thats for sure.

mbaran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
This is awesome news.

Too bad the 16 MY Mustangs didn't get the option for the new LTE module that allows for remote start (beyond FOB range) fuel levels, etc. That would be a cool feature. Doubt it can be retro'd. Looks like they're even giving 5 years free service with the new 2017 Escape that gets it first.