2016 GT Premium PP

tbr2001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
What area? You must be fairly remote. The good news is you live in the best part of CO!

OP
OP
Bird of prey

Bird of prey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Gold wing 2020 f-150 pro stock mustang. 2019 Shelby gt 350

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bird of prey

Bird of prey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Gold wing 2020 f-150 pro stock mustang. 2019 Shelby gt 350
upload_2020-3-21_7-27-28.png

Second time in five minutes I’ve posted this.
I believe your warranty is done if you do E85 and/or a tune. Some are ok with that, some are not. It’s your call.
Exactly. I’m not willing to give up or gamble with more than 2 1/2 years left on my warranty. I trust the engineers that built the car.

CaptHugemeat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K1984
What about buying some gas cans and making a trip every couple of months to fill them up with 91? I just bought a set of four VP racing jugs for like, 80$. You'll have to drive a bit to make it work, but it would be worth it to me. I'm right outside the Springs though, so its not nearly as far.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Thanks. I’ve had this app on my phone since I bought the car. Closest station is 85 miles away to get real gas ⛽ ( non ethanol)
You are conflating a ton of variables, and I think it would help if you actually specified what your question is.
- Octane rating (AKI; RON+MON/2): at high altitude, one numerical grade lower is fine for most cars. If nothing about high-altitude use is in our owner's manual, I would call Ford and ask what their position is and impact to your warranty. As I mentioned, many high-altitude locals have 85/87/89 or (as another poster mentioned) 85/88/91 instead of 87/89/91/93 for available octane ratings.
- E85 - totally different topic. 85 octane is NOT the same as E85 (85% ethanol)
- "real" no-ethanol gas - totally different topic, again. Octane rating and ethanol content are related, but separate. Most stations sell oxygenated fuel with up to 10% ethanol, and that is factored into the octane rating. You can also get "pure" gas with no ethanol (or other oxygenates) at some stations, but the octane rating is still whatever it says on the pump. NOTE - ethanol actually boosts octane, so you might want to AVOID "real" gas at high altitude. (This is also why E85 is a favorite for people trying to make a ton of power - but E85 has other risks for cars not designed to handle it. And again E85 is not the same as 85 Octane.)

The absolutely only way you would need to sell the car OR "import" your fuel (which would be a massive PITA) is if Ford says your warranty is toast if you use the available 89 octane (highest available octane) fuel in your area. Science says that if you are at 6,000 feet, 89 octane pump gas performs the same as 91-93 octane pump gas at sea level. So from your engine's perspective, it DOES NOT MATTER (with the caveat that - in newer cars - it might matter more, which is why I recommend calling Ford to ask). You don't need a tune. You don't need anything else. Just pump and go.

The only thing that *would* matter is if Ford says they would void your warranty for using the highest avaliable octane in your high-altitude locale, and I seriously doubt that is the case.

Sponsored

Tuxedomouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Grabber Blue Premium PP
89 should work fine. Knock sensors will keep everything in line

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
So, may I again ask you to specify the problem? You have 89 available, which will keep your warranty fully intact. Right? That says very explicitly "use of fuels below 87 octane will void your warranty."
I think he's saying there is only 85 where he is.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I think he's saying there is only 85 where he is.
I don't think so, which is why I've asked for clarification three times. The first post says:

I’ve been putting it off for several months. putting my 19 350 up for sale. But yesterday was the nail in the coffin no 91 octane available in town anymore. E85 only. Closest real GAS 91 Octane, is 85 miles away. And yes I know I could buy injectors, buy a new tune, and take a chance on voiding my warranty. Just not an option for me.
E85 and 91 Octane aren't even on the same scale. E85 is 85% ethanol, 15% gasoline. Used in flex fuel vehicles that are tuned to accept it.

91 Octane is a typical gasoline blend (which can contain up to 10% ethanol, maybe 15% in some states now)
"Real GAS 91 Octane" is also just 91 Octane, but without the ethanol.

The OP is mixing up all kinds of terms. I would be absolutely shocked if he lived 85 miles from any fuel with a higher octane rating than 85. He told us he's in Trinidad, CO.

Here is a Shell station in Trinidad: https://find.shell.com/us/fuel/10083013-731-e-main-st
Here is a Google image of that station clearly showing 85, 87, 91 octane fuel at that Shell in Trinidad. https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...7f316aad5c86f8!8m2!3d37.170292!4d-104.5103887

I don't think there is an issue except in the understanding of fuel grades.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
OP, where the heck are you located; Pinon Canyon perhaps....Raton, NM is only 21 miles from Trinidad,CO and gas buddy shows all the stations there have 91 octane; I know I have filled up there many times with no problems finding 91 octane. Walsenburg in the other direction also has 91 octane gas.
Sponsored