FM antenna?

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT, 14 F150, 23 F150
anybody aware of any thing that can be done to get a real fm antenna on these cars? Mines a 20 and has the shark fin and it's useless for fm. I live just far enough out in the sticks that the radio picks up little use full stations. I would like to put an old fashion wire antenna on it but I have no idea what kind of connector is used now days at the back of the radio. any ideas? Thanks Jim
Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
The shark fin is for satellite radio. The FM radio antenna is active (electronic) and is located between the rear speakers on the rear deck. Adding a conventional antenna? You would probably be the first.

CORRECTION: The FM antenna is in the rear glass. The top two copper strips.

Last edited:

GoGoGadget

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
anybody aware of any thing that can be done to get a real fm antenna on these cars? Mines a 20 and has the shark fin and it's useless for fm. I live just far enough out in the sticks that the radio picks up little use full stations. I would like to put an old fashion wire antenna on it but I have no idea what kind of connector is used now days at the back of the radio. any ideas? Thanks Jim
Well, they sell them at Walmart so they can't be that hard to hook up.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Universa...nbsp-FM-AM-Radio-Aerial-Replacement/599394166

Another option would be use a radio app on your cell and BT the music to your car radio, assuming the stations you want have an online option.

OP
OP
JCN

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Thanks stangtime I didn't realize that.

Another option would be use a radio app on your cell and BT the music to your car radio, assuming the stations you want have an online option

you're dragging me out of the oldtimer cave here :party: I'll see what I can figure out on this allthough when Sprint got swallowed up I'm now in a big hole for phone reception also. Worth a try. Any Info on antenna connection on these, I know the old barrel connector died off years ago. Thanks guys Jim

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I am wondering how they do the convertible? No rear deck as far as I can tell, so where do they mount they active antennas? Plus they put a stubby antennae on the rear passenger quarter panel. Not sure what that thing is actually receiving.

Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
On my convertible I have both the small antenna on the passenger side rear which is for my radio and also the satellite Antenna on the trunk lid.
When i store the car in the winter I unscrew the small antenna (for the car cover) and the FM signal disappears.

OP
OP
JCN

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
I am wondering how they do the convertible? No rear deck as far as I can tell, so where do they mount they active antennas? Plus they put a stubby antennae on the rear passenger quarter panel. Not sure what that thing is actually receiving.
good question, I'll have to keep an eye out for a convertible to scope out. I've been eyeballing the top of the quarter as a spot that would work. I'd like to find something similar to the oem on my f150 with enough lead to reach, the hardest part would be laying a hole saw to the car! I wonder if my window tint is adding to the poor reception considering where the antenna lays?

OP
OP
JCN

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
On my convertible I have both the small antenna on the passenger side rear which is for my radio and also the satellite Antenna on the trunk lid.
When i store the car in the winter I unscrew the small antenna (for the car cover) and the FM signal disappears.
how would you say your reception compares with other vehicles you've used. Does the small antenna seem to work? can you describe where that small antenna is at on rt. rear? or a pic would bee sweet.

GoGoGadget

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Thanks stangtime I didn't realize that.

Another option would be use a radio app on your cell and BT the music to your car radio, assuming the stations you want have an online option

you're dragging me out of the oldtimer cave here :party: I'll see what I can figure out on this allthough when Sprint got swallowed up I'm now in a big hole for phone reception also. Worth a try. Any Info on antenna connection on these, I know the old barrel connector died off years ago. Thanks guys Jim
C'mon, I bought my 70y/o mother an iPhone last year. After a few days, she was texting, Facetiming, posting to FB, using emoji's and everything. :D

Guess you could go old school with it.

1619917951559.png

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Here you go. Not the best lighting but should suffice.
Radio antenna on the quarter panel and satellite antenna on the trunk.

C5B9901A-B6C6-4C91-BEF5-429ED846BD62.jpeg

Sponsored
OP
OP
JCN

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Here you go. Not the best lighting but should suffice.
Radio antenna on the quarter panel and satellite antenna on the trunk.

C5B9901A-B6C6-4C91-BEF5-429ED846BD62.jpeg
Thanks, that would work way better. I wonder if the lead goes straight to the radio or through some module first. Time to find some wiring diagrams, If there's a module in between that would trip me up. So Todd are you saying I should give up the GT and buy the jeep or just the antenna :crackup::crackup: Thanks guys you've given me hope. Jim

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
Thanks, that would work way better. I wonder if the lead goes straight to the radio or through some module first. Time to find some wiring diagrams, If there's a module in between that would trip me up. So Todd are you saying I should give up the GT and buy the jeep or just the antenna :crackup::crackup: Thanks guys you've given me hope. Jim
How is the reception on your F150 and Expedition? I'm wondering if the problem is a bad antenna or harness in the Mustang and not that a bigger/better antenna is needed. Hate to see you start drilling holes when it's a problem the dealer can fix under warranty.

OP
OP
JCN

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
How is the reception on your F150 and Expedition? I'm wondering if the problem is a bad antenna or harness in the Mustang and not that a bigger/better antenna is needed. Hate to see you start drilling holes when it's a problem the dealer can fix under warranty.
The F150 is good, a lot of stations. The Expy is better but lacking but its antenna is in the rear side window so I'm not surprised. I don't spend near the time in it so it seems less irritating!

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48
OP
OP
JCN

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Farkel that might be an option. I'm going to check with dealer to see if there's any testing they can do, I've heard others say their reception stinks so it hadn't even occurred to me it might be something that could be fixed. If that doesn't get me any where I think I'll find a high end stereo shop and see if they have any ideas.
Sponsored