2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
I realize this is about wrench type/flutes, and I'm with you on which filter to use and which is legit. I sense some frustration in some of the posts. I get it for sure. There is business philosophy involved that can either frustrate us, or make life understandable, depending how we embrace it.

Keep in mind in today's corporate world, cutting costs is paramount to being competitive. Your and my opinion on a change is only one input. If there is a perception that a change will result in lost sales due to customer kickback, which also hits their bottom line, that is considered. Cost versus benefit will always be on the table for successful companies.

Changing from a 30 flute to a 14 flute could even be in response to people complaining. There is a possibility that an oil filter supplier change was made because of someone else's fault. Deformation of cheaply made, poor tolerance, 30-flute wrenches can be a reason for change to a 14 flute. Filter wrench suppliers are trying to be all things to all people, not Motorcraft, not AC Delco, not even the filter people (Fram, Purolator, etc.). I'm not saying poor aftermarket suppliers are the reason for this change, but those discussions definitely occur within corporations before making a costly tooling change.

As for cheap filter wrenches, been there, done that. Sometimes they will drive customers to drastic measures to get the job done after the store is closed for the night, the oil is drained, and you are between a rock and a hard place. (I sense that some of you are familiar with the dreaded screwdriver "wrench".) Side note: I learned the hard way to ensure I successfully get the filter removed before draining the crankcase.

Anyway, changes like the filter situation will always be a way of life. Realizing I've wasted too much energy over my 60 years plus of ranting about change, I'd like to share some thoughts I hope will help others.

First, Look for best or near-best quality components. How much do you love your engine? Is it running well? How long would you like to keep it that way?

Second, Don't follow Ford's minimum requirements for time to change oil/filters. I did that on my 1992 5.0 when living up north and the result was less than stellar. In colder climates especially, your engine will build condensation crud and your engine will suffer by only following minimum requirements.

Third, Purchase from a place that has less chance of having knockoff parts. (Sure, a Ford dealer's supply chain has a better chance of having legitimate parts, but I don't necessarily go to the dealer) Research! This forum is a great resource, but remember everyone has an opinion. Seemingly good opinions for some may not be good for others. So look for opinions that are based on good data on something this critical.

Anyway, hope this perspective helps.

Salty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 MT-82, 2019 5.0 10R80
I didn't want to create a whole new thread on a similar question. I noticed that on amazon, the FL-500S oil filter says it does not fit my car. What's up with that? I assume their database isn't updated? Should be ok right? I may just go to walmart.
filter.JPG
up with that? I assume their database isn't updated?

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
I didn't want to create a whole new thread on a similar question. I noticed that on amazon, the FL-500S oil filter says it does not fit my car. What's up with that? I assume their database isn't updated? Should be ok right? I may just go to walmart.
filter.JPG
up with that? I assume their database isn't updated?
Look in your owners manual, it specifies the FL500S.

Sponsored

Salty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Look in your owners manual, it specifies the FL500S.
I figured since I bought this back in April it should be the same thing. What caught my eye was on the top left corner of the picture where it says does not fit a 2019 mustang gt. Just wanted to see if anyone that purchased from amazon before sees this message

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
I figured since I bought this back in April it should be the same thing. What caught my eye was on the top left corner of the picture where it says does not fit a 2019 mustang gt. Just wanted to see if anyone that purchased from amazon before sees this message
Something like that most auto parts stores carry so you can check that it's in good condition before buying it.

sjmurphy34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP Magnetic
I noticed the same thing. I'm guessing it assumes we have the base engine, aka ecoboost, which uses a different filter.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Sounds like a design change to me. May be there should be a "best if used by" date code. :wink:

Salty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I noticed the same thing. I'm guessing it assumes we have the base engine, aka ecoboost, which uses a different filter.
I ended up buying the same one from last time. Worked perfectly fine.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Bringing this thread from dead - anyone has a wrench that fits the new style FL-500S ?