Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT500

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
I’ve got a call in to ford performance about this problem. He was supposed to talk to the fleet manager and get back to me. I’ll pass on it I learn anything.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I’ve got a call in to ford performance about this problem. He was supposed to talk to the fleet manager and get back to me. I’ll pass on it I learn anything.
Good luck with that...

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
kinda what I expect also….
I dont mean to discourage, but I have been down that path with FP before over many other issues. They have zero influence to remedy this problem.

IMHO, the issue is due to the world shutting down and not being able to start back up like it never happened. You can blame politics and the free money that has been given out to almost everyone thereby encouraging people to stay home and not work. Why would you work if you didn't have to?

Anyway I'll stop rambling on. Even if the folks at FP had any power (aside from being the information hotline), they certainly don't control people and economies.

I think we are now witnessing the beginning of uncontrolled increases in the cost of things. To make my point, if a filter became available for $65, would you you pay it?

Prices are quick to go up, but there will have to be a huge supply to bring prices back down again. If prices were to return to any kind of normalcy, I think it will take a while for that to happen. Prices of things usually go up, not down.

Anyone want to buy a filter for $200? PM me..... just kidding.

Sponsored

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dont mean to discourage, but I have been down that path with FP before over many other issues. They have zero influence to remedy this problem.

IMHO, the issue is due to the world shutting down and not being able to start back up like it never happened. You can blame politics and the free money that has been given out to almost everyone thereby encouraging people to stay home and not work. Why would you work if you didn't have to?

Anyway I'll stop rambling on. Even if the folks at FP had any power (aside from being the information hotline), they certainly don't control people and economies.

I think we are now witnessing the beginning of uncontrolled increases in the cost of things. To make my point, if a filter became available for $65, would you you pay it?

Prices are quick to go up, but there will have to be a huge supply to bring prices back down again.

Anyone want to buy a filter for $200? PM me..... just kidding.
I don’t disagree. I’m just really baffled at how we supposed to maintain our warranty. And I’m willing to waste their time on the phone for a bit. I’ll be getting paid to pester them for a while lol! I am very curious what their take in what we should do will be.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
What’s the consensus on the Amsoil filter? Is it safe to run on the 500 even tho it has a plastic mesh and not a metal mesh on the inside?
I’ve done about 1/2 dozen oil changes in mine, and I only use the K&N Filters. I don’t even think about it. Guess it bothers some people….

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I don’t disagree. I’m just really baffled at how we supposed to maintain our warranty. And I’m willing to waste their time on the phone for a bit. I’ll be getting paid to pester them for a while lol! I am very curious what their take in what we should do will be.
I dont know how many miles are on your car, but I need to accomplish 2 oil changes due to time, not miles. When I do the oil change, Ill send a sample off to Blackstone labs documenting that the oil has not degraded and is serviceable.

Another thing you can do is turn the problem over to your dealer. Tell them you will not settle for anything less than an oem fl2087 and let them tell you that they can't get one. Have it documented.

If you are in a position where your oil is in desperate need of changing, then you can do what others have done, which is to use an aftermarket filter. I believe the chairman uses one at COTA when he tracks. I'd check with him on which one he uses. If you are afraid of a warranty issue, then drive it like a grandma or put it in the garage until you can find a filter.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.

Edited to add: the chairman piped in while I was typing. I would follow his advice.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Good luck with that...
What Tomster meant to say is that FP is really just a marketing arm with some excellent engineering talent that develops great vehicles. However, they have nothing to do with vehicle production at FRAP, or parts availability, etc.
When the GT500 was new, there was some confusion as to what was actually contained in the Handling Package? The FP Tech line didn’t know, and we went back and forth for a while before they gave up. And as we all know, the contents of the HP changed several times during the first year, and some of our camber plates never did show up.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
What Tomster meant to say is that FP is really just a marketing arm with some excellent engineering talent that develops great vehicles.
I was not referring to the engineering side of it, but instead the people who answer the phones and work the customer relations/PR side of it. I wasted all kinds of time with them over a whole other issue pertaining warranty coverage for track use. I got nowhere. It took a call to Jim Owens to have him verbally assure me our vehicles would be covered if used as intended and as built. My wife the lawyer said the whole issue revolved around the definition of "damage". The warranty that was written could be used against you if damage occurred on the track. Ie) my engine blew up on the track. My engine is now damaged. It occurred on the track. Anyway, FP couldn't resolve the issue or discrepancy.

I've called for all kinds of other issues over the years and I found that they were not very good at what they were supposed to be very good at, which was tracking the build process of our vehicles. Our resident expert (snoopy49) had more information in a more timely manner than the folks at the FP help line.

I could go on and on, but I think my point was made.

However, they have nothing to do with vehicle production at FRAP, or parts availability, etc.
Exactly. This whole problem is far more complex than a guy being able to get an oil filter. This is a global issue that is impacting everyone everywhere. I just got back from the UK. They call it the supply challenge. I'm still waiting for a part from my dealer that I ordered back in January. I've given up on that one.

When the GT500 was new, there was some confusion as to what was actually contained in the Handling Package? The FP Tech line didn’t know, and we went back and forth for a while before they gave up. And as we all know, the contents of the HP changed several times during the first year, and some of our camber plates never did show up.
Yep another one of FP's great moments.

Sponsored

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m at 400 miles. I’d like to do a 1000 mile oil change. Failing that, I have time. I’m not against using the K&N, I’d just like ford to say “here’s the problem, it’s ok to use for now”. I shouldn’t have to park a 100k$ car to keep warranty over an oil filter. Your use and my use are different. I do like your idea of dropping it in the dealers lap. They dealer I bought it from is about 4 hours away, but I can still hit my local one up with that problem.

I may have found some about an hour away. Gonna call them later today.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I’m at 400 miles. I’d like to do a 1000 mile oil change. Failing that, I have time. I’m not against using the K&N, I’d just like ford to say “here’s the problem, it’s ok to use for now”. I shouldn’t have to park a 100k$ car to keep warranty over an oil filter. Your use and my use are different. I do like your idea of dropping it in the dealers lap. They dealer I bought it from is about 4 hours away, but I can still hit my local one up with that problem.

I may have found some about an hour away. Gonna call them later today.
I totally understand your position. Just keep in mind that this isn't limited to Ford. The world itself is suffering from this issue.

I'll add that I don't like dealership oil changes. I've read time after time stories of underfills, using the wrong oil, not using the correct torque on the filter, etc. But if you ask them to keep the old filter (tell them its because you want to have it analyzed) and ask to see the oil cans after the job is done, then you will eliminate most of the issues. Follow up yourself by verifying the correct torque on the filter and drain plug.

Dealerships are holding back on filters if they have them so that they can accomplish these services.

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
You are wasting your time calling FP, they are a call center and don't work for Ford directly, they work for a firm that handles customer support. They do an excellent job at what they do, but they only have access to the information that Ford wishes to share.

Look on the bright side, at least Ford out sourced to a US company and you don't have to speak to John in India.

US HWY 666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R
You are wasting your time calling FP, they are a call center and don't work for Ford directly, they work for a firm that handles customer support. They do an excellent job at what they do, but they only have access to the information that Ford wishes to share.

Look on the bright side, at least Ford out sourced to a US company and you don't have to speak to John in India.
Or Guatemala or El Salvador as in my recent misadventures...............................

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I totally understand your position. Just keep in mind that this isn't limited to Ford. The world itself is suffering from this issue.

I'll add that I don't like dealership oil changes. I've read time after time stories of underfills, using the wrong oil, not using the correct torque on the filter, etc. But if you ask them to keep the old filter (tell them its because you want to have it analyzed) and ask to see the oil cans after the job is done, then you will eliminate most of the issues. Follow up yourself by verifying the correct torque on the filter and drain plug.

Dealerships are holding back on filters if they have them so that they can accomplish these services.
I think i found 3 of them an hour and a half away. But that works cause there is a restaurant there that my wife been wanting to try. He’s holding them for me till Monday. I also found a housing kit in stock so that should be 4 and enough for 2 years for me.

I agree about dealerships. I try to avoid going to them as best I can unless it’s out of my ability or expensive. I don’t use the free changes they give, for exactly the reasons you list. The ONLY reason I’ll go is if I absolutely can’t find a filter To keep my warranty. Then, the dealership can be responsible for my warranty problems due to inability to meet their requirements. Y’all right about FP. They’ve been a huge help with my project car and coyote crate motor/trans and control pack when it had trouble, but that was the tech side. Complaining to them only would make me feel better lol.
Sponsored