Sponsored

First wheel alignment free?

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Getting some steering wheel vibration/front end shake and some squirelly handling, had tires balanced and rotated no help, so want to get alignment checked. 6000 miles on it, hasn't been in for any service yet. I thought I read somewhere tat Ford covers the first alignment on a new car free. Am I wrong?
Sponsored

jenksdrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Probably not covered as a number of things could have caused it to go out of alignment. To that, an alignment isn't really a 'need' item under most warranty items. Especially after 6K miles. Maybe if it was 600...but 6k is pushing it.

To that, you might be able to get a courtesy alignment check, but probably not. Dealers make thier money on service more than sales.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Per the 2018 Ford Warranty booklet:

* Ford will replace or adjust certain maintenance items when necessary, free of charge during a limited period:

• Wiper blade replacements will be provided during the first six months in service, regardless of miles driven.

• Wheel alignments and tire balancing will be provided during the first 12 months or 12,000 miles in service, whichever occurs first.

• Brake pad/lining replacements will be provided during the first 12 months or 18,000 miles in service, whichever occurs first.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
EPAS filters out shaking/vibration, so I'd say there is something wrong with your EPAS.

I haven't touched my front tires in 21K miles, they're worn out, and I still have no shaking or vibration through the steering wheel, which is what EPAS is designed to do.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EPAS filters out shaking/vibration, so I'd say there is something wrong with your EPAS.

I haven't touched my front tires in 21K miles, they're worn out, and I still have no shaking or vibration through the steering wheel, which is what EPAS is designed to do.
So EPAS would filter out all wheel shake from an unbalanced or defective tire?

Sponsored

GenXGeekDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP MM
FWIW..I had the same issue, Ford check'd out the car and my driver side toe was way off. I have not hit anything , and no evidence of such on my wheels or front end that would have suggested something happened to cause it. Ford realigned for free..under warranty.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Per the 2018 Ford Warranty booklet:
I wonder if that applies if running aftermarket tires. I switched to the 15-17 20" Foundry wheels with Cont DWS06 A/S 275/25/20 after 50 miles on the car. So Ford rims, but not factory tires. I still have the original 18" wheels/rims. Maybe I should put them back on before taking it in? Just wondering if they'll refuse the free alignment within 12 months/12k miles since I'm not running OEM tires.

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid
It's not uncommon for alignment to be WAY off right off the truck.
I get all my cars aligned at Firestone after I buy them. Buy the lifetime alignment and never pay for another as long as you own the car. No matter what mods you do to the car, realignment is free.
I've had my 88 GT in for more free alignments than I can count in the 25+ years I've owned it.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Yes. To a certain degree, not if it's severe.

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
No I don't think EPAS filters out vibration. It is just Electric Power Assisted Steering. I know for a fact it did not do shit on my girlfriend's AWD Fusion - that steering wheel always had some shake from day one. Junk.

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I believe that Ford covers an alignment within the first year or 12,000 miles but I could be mistaken

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It's not uncommon for alignment to be WAY off right off the truck.
I get all my cars aligned at Firestone after I buy them. Buy the lifetime alignment and never pay for another as long as you own the car. No matter what mods you do to the car, realignment is free.
I've had my 88 GT in for more free alignments than I can count in the 25+ years I've owned it.
Yes I agree with this for sure. When test driving new cars I find that most are out of alignment- they wander and/or the steering wheel is off center. When I test drove the GT that I bought I was surprised that the alignment was right on, steering wheel dead straight and it tracks laser straight. It's one of the many reasons I bought the car. It's too bad that so many new cars the alignments are way off- I guess most buyers don't notice? I test drove 3 Camaros and a Colorado before I bought the Mustang. The alignments were way off and the Colorado the steering wheel was shaking really bad too like the tires were not balanced at all.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
No I don't think EPAS filters out vibration. It is just Electric Power Assisted Steering. I know for a fact it did not do shit on my girlfriend's AWD Fusion - that steering wheel always had some shake from day one. Junk.
It most certainly does. It's explained very clearly in a few web posts from Ford. Your GF's Fusion may have had a different type of EPAS that didn't have the feature.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I had new tires put on my car yesterday. Decided to do the alignment too, if it needed it.

After 21K miles everything was in the green, no alignment necessary. I think the 2015+ suspension doesn't get knocked out of alignment like past Mustang suspensions did.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Not if the EPAS's electronic module is getting bad signals, no signals, or signals it doesn't quite understand from sensors involved with the built-in "Active Nibble Compensation" feature. Worst case, it might still be possible for the ANC to misunderstand the sensor signals badly enough to cause the EPAS to add compensating steering where none was required. If it then gets stuck in a loop . . . shimmy.

Norm
Sponsored