Sponsored

First track day- self tech form question

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I'm looking to do my first track day, and the group I'm signing up with has a self tech form. They ask if street tires have more than 2/32" of tread. I have my OEM Cup 2 tires still (less than 3k street driven miles) which I'm sure you all know, have very shallow tread as is. Will I be ok with these tires?

Thanks!
Sponsored

rob_s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Tire Rack says those tires have 7.2/32 when new. I'm not sure what the wear bars measure at, but if you're down to 2/32 or less, they're probably about done. And maybe you'll get away with 2/32 if it's dry, but if it rains, you'll be sitting in the paddock while the operator counts your money.

OP
OP
09cs

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Tire Rack says those tires have 7.2/32 when new. I'm not sure what the wear bars measure at, but if you're down to 2/32 or less, they're probably about done. And maybe you'll get away with 2/32 if it's dry, but if it rains, you'll be sitting in the paddock while the operator counts your money.
July in the desert of LA, don't think there will be much rain lol.

Autozone sells tire tread depth measuring sticks for $3 or so. That would be the easiest way to tell
Been meaning to pick one up

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
For tires, if theyā€™re getting low, check for cords after /every/ session and make sure to check the inside shoulders. Pay attention to odd noises, ā€˜balanceā€™ issues, and grip Falling off, as any of those could be a sign youā€™ve corded a tire or have chunked one. Better to pit for a quick check then push on.

If your tires donā€™t survive the event, donā€™t expect a refund from the organizer.

Lots of experienced people will run tires low and replace them at the event with spares they brought with them.
Sponsored