Sponsored

First Track Day - Brake Question

Nick71692

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP Mustang
So I am headed to my first performance driving event in a week or so and want some advice on pad upgrades as well as fluid - the car is not an everyday driver so I am curious what pads others are going with

Some info on the car: 2015 GT with PP...about 7500 miles on it.

Also has Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs, Steeda Vertical Links, sub frame braces and k member brace. Otherwise its stock

any advice, tips or tricks are welcomed.
Sponsored

JeremyGSU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(former) '04 C5 Z06
Check out this thread. It has some helpful info. Since you're just starting out I think Carbotech XP10/XP8's would work.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51664

For fluid I would go right to the best and get Castrol SRF. I messed around with ATE, Motul, and Amsoil in my Z06 and in the end wished I would have gone with Castrol in the beginning. It's more expensive but that much better. Brakes are something you don't want to mess around with.

Jeremy

Last edited:
OP
OP

Nick71692

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP Mustang
Thanks for the advice...Do you know how many bottles it takes - I have seen 3

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly my stock pads (GT PP) have held up well after 3 track days. None of which was a particularly hard course for brakes, and ambient temps were comfortably low. I had zero fade with the stock pads and Motul fluid.... Not that you shouldn't consider upgrading your pads, its not a bad idea, just you probably won't have issues if you don't.

As for fluid, the factory uses a 'low viscosity' DOT 4 fuild, and most of the usual high temp track fluids are not low viscosity. There's a whole thread on brake fluid, so probably look that up. It might be worth switching back to the Ford fluid after the event for street use.

OP
OP

Nick71692

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP Mustang
Thanks Nightmare, I did see a few of those threads but a lot of them get off topic quickly (and this one may as well). I am running Pittsburg International Raceway on the North Track and I don't think it will be too bad on the brakes, just wanted some feedback.

Sponsored

JeremyGSU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(former) '04 C5 Z06
My reply may be jumping the gun a bit if it's your first track event but I like to take the more prepared approach and I base my opinions off of Sebring, which is one of the hardest tracks in the country on brakes. I don't know stock Mustang pads but in reading the other post you probably could get away with using the stock pads for your first day. Just make sure they are 75% or better.

I still suggest Castrol SRF. A recent thread of a Mustang track build that got a lot of attention the guy was running Castrol as well.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22962

Just about all my track buddies with various cars were running it too.

You may need 3 bottles for the initial flush but after that should only need about 1 on hand. I never bothered changing the fluid back to anything on my street/track Z06. I just left it in there and never had any issues. :shrug:

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

noob@cartech,prefer2drive
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT-PP::2000 Honda s2000::1996 Nissan Maxima
If I may chime in,
First track day ever, or first track day in the Stang?

The stock GTPP will work just fine for your first track day ever, unless you are looking to really push the car pretty hard for most of the time you are on the course.

(stock handled a track day fine, and I pushed it some on its first track day, not my first track day, just the Mustang's...)
Sponsored