Sponsored

First time at strip with Roush.

cgiles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Roush RS3 Kona Blue
I sold my 2016 PP and bought a 2020 Roush RS3 automatic. I took my 16 to the track a couple of times and never really had an issue with it launching, so long as the nannies were turned off. I took the Roush to the track once before it got too cool. I turned the nannies off on the Roush and after launch it immediately bogs down for a second and then just takes off. I did three runs, trying different things. The first time I just let the auto do it's thing. Second time, it was in sport and I shifted. Third, I think I tried Sport in 2nd off the line and then shifted into normal. All three times I had the same bog off the line. I'm not sure if it's traction control/advanced trac or something in the stock Roush tune. I've heard they dump fuel to save the cats. I know there's a dyno fuse that can be pulled; do I need to do that to completely kill the nannies? Anyone have a similar experience that can shed light on my problem? Is it the stock tune? Thanks, as always.
Sponsored

22RoushGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Roush
I just got a 22 Roush built with a stage 2 tune. I haven’t taken it to the track yet hoping to go in 2 weeks when they have an event. I haven’t noticed that when I take off on the street are you noticing it on the street or just at the track. Mine has the 401 performance pack and has a bunch of different settings including a drag strip setting I was told that shuts down all traction control but I have a major issue with traction right now. I have the Michelin sport cup 2 R in the rear and regular sport cups in the front. I am going to buy the Nitto 555r2 and hope I can get some traction.

OP
OP

cgiles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Roush RS3 Kona Blue
Yes, I was in drag strip mode and am running the stock Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires. I wasn't spinning, this was like the car just died and then sprung back to life. I was easing into it and tried varying amounts of "easing" to see if I could stop the dying. I haven't really tried going from a dead stop on the street. When rolling, the auto downshifts and goes, no issues. It's weird.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
There is a plug next to the air cleaner, on the fender side, if you pull that it kills all nannies.

If it still bogs it is in the tune.

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I just got a 22 Roush built with a stage 2 tune. I haven’t taken it to the track yet hoping to go in 2 weeks when they have an event. I haven’t noticed that when I take off on the street are you noticing it on the street or just at the track. Mine has the 401 performance pack and has a bunch of different settings including a drag strip setting I was told that shuts down all traction control but I have a major issue with traction right now. I have the Michelin sport cup 2 R in the rear and regular sport cups in the front. I am going to buy the Nitto 555r2 and hope I can get some traction.
The 555r2 is a great tire and they hook up.

Sponsored

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
When I floor mine on the road (when no one is around) it never bogs. Launching it from a standstill. I drive a manual though. My charger was added August 2023. Not sure if its the tune or not. You could check for updates. Those guys usually respond within 24 hours:
[email protected]

slime_bullet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Sounds like what the whipple tunes does when you mess with the torque by gear options. I had first set to 25% torque reduction. Try to go wot from a dead stop and wouldn't go then would take off just like you described. Definitely sounds torque limited related

Waycool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Drag mode didn't turn off traction control on my car (21 GT). 100% fell on it's face like you described. I manually turned advanced trac off after in drag mode and it did better. track mode does turn off advance trac. I never could get a good run put together that day.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
You will find the Nitto R2 can still break loose on the street. I went from G2 to R2 and this year I’m going to swap to 17” beadlock rear rims with mickey Thompson tires 45 side wall in an attempt to get some more traction because my 305/35R19 Nitto 555 RII just ain't cutting it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

cgiles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Roush RS3 Kona Blue
Drag mode didn't turn off traction control on my car (21 GT). 100% fell on it's face like you described. I manually turned advanced trac off after in drag mode and it did better. track mode does turn off advance trac. I never could get a good run put together that day.

It would make sense, but I know I turned both off, just like I would have done in my 2016 manual. Maybe there's something wrong and it doesn't really disengage . I will do some testing on a warm day.
Sponsored