First HPDE in Mustang report .

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Did my first HPDE in the Mustang this past weekend . I have 4 HPDE days prior in an e36 BMW ( 1993 325i ) .

Tires were 275/40/18 RE-11s (square) that had seen a few trackdays from @gtorpedo on Apex 10" wide wheels . They warmed up quick on a hot day and gave some decent feedback . Cold temps for me were set at 31 and were 38 after the session .

All my track days have been on Summit Point main circuit.

Temps during the day were 96 on Saturday , 90 on Sunday and we ran 30 minute session ( 3 per day )
Day 1

- First session went well , feeling out the track again , 435hp is much different then 180hp
- Second session was starting to push and get faster and smoother , about 25 minutes in got "rear axle temp warning". Air temps in 90s
- Third session , drove for 20 minutes , went to the pit and drove through to cool the diff a little , about 6-8 minutes later got the temp warning and came in.
I was riding with an instructor in novice class . I started the session 2nd in line with a C5 Vette in front of me , I passed him then saw no cars for a bit until I started lapping people . At the end of the session he told me "There is not much left for me to teach you"

Day 1 night , swapped diff fluid ( my exhaust was already wrapped around diff ) went from stock fluid to Redline 75w-140

Day 2

- First session , instructor tells me he is going to sign me off solo after this session. Ran 30 minutes , no diff warning message
- Second session , SOLO !! . Ran about 25 minutes then a Camaro beached itself in the gravel trap . no diff warning message... hey this Redline works ...
- Third session , doing well ,diff warning light hit at ~29 minutes , I slowed down and pitted in . I saw they were waving the checked , so didn't miss much time .

Thoughts :

- Have a tow hook , one car was stuck in the gravel for 25 minutes because they could not pull him out.

- My instructor was great , he drove a mildly prepped C6 Vette

- I might be able to get away with no diff cooler if the air temps were 10-20 degrees cooler and / or a slower track , and /or using a fan to cool the diff between sessions , and of course a group that ran 20 minutes instead of 30 . If I don't go and get a new car in the spring , I will get a diff cooler.

- I rode along with a friend of mine in his Lexus IS F ( Advanced group ) He's fast because he is smooth . I have rode with him before in a group that had 20 minute sessions . 20 minutes is too short , 30 minutes is almost too long , especially when you get to last session on Sunday .

- I can definitely see where I can make up time . I just need the seat time to put it all together.

- I only started to mess with recording my laps on the last session of the last day. I may of had a better lap then this

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
So, do you conclude that the 140W helped a lot?

I already wrapped my exhaust, and put temp stickers on the diff cover, but still have 75W in the diff. I put in 140W in my last car, but my local track does not seem to strain the diff. I am trying to decide if I should swap to 140W before my first track day of 3x 20min sessions.

OP
OP
ANGST

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
It may of helped some . From what I read it will certainly offer more protection at higher temps then the stock 75w-80 . I would of been fine with 20 minute sessions . I think 95 degree day plus 30 minute sessions really heated it up .

When I changed the diff fluid it was still hot over 4 hours later .

1stBluesCup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP, '07 Miata MX-5, 2006 Tundra SR5
Good job!!! So you were overheating a 3.73 diff?? Wow. How do you get the video w/ all the data readout, etc.??

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
First track day for the 2019 GTPP1 on Sunday. Not even 800 miles on my new car - yikes! About 86F sunny day.
I did decide to change over to 140W gear oil beforehand.
I setup my 12" display to show axle temp, cylinder head temp, and 10spd temp.

I run two ranges of temp stickers on my diff. At the end of the 5th 20min session, the diff reached a max temp of 240F. Second photo was taken with the $69 Kobalt 24V fan pushed against the diff, and before the max temp was reached. Because I could monitor the diff temp on the dash, I did not use the cooler after the first 2 sessions. But I am sure that it will be needed eventually. (BTW the fan can also run off an extension cord. And I have Kobalt 24V impact wrench and drill.)

OP
OP
ANGST

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Good job!!! So you were overheating a 3.73 diff?? Wow. How do you get the video w/ all the data readout, etc.??
Track Addict app on my iPhone 8 with a Kiwi 3 bluetooth ODB-II and a Panavise 809 Camera Window Suction-Cup Mount

Yup 3.73 Diff ( Performance Pack )
Sponsored