Is compound really needed?

Black

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hash
Vehicle(s)
MustangGT
My car is 6 months old with no scratches to the naked eye. I am planning to do a detailing job pretty soon but since there are sooo many methods on how to do it I really don't know which method is best for my car and I really don't want to mess anything up.

The method I had in mind was
1)Wash
2)Clay Bar
3)Polish
4)Wax

And then I found out that compounding is also necessary but when I have no visible scratches do I still need to apply the compound?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
you can skip the compund/polish stage if no paint correction is necessary.

wash - clay bay - wash or wipe down again - sealant (optional) - wax.

OP
OP

Black

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hash
Vehicle(s)
MustangGT
From what I have seen polish comes after compound and before wax. In the middle

OP
OP

Black

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hash
Vehicle(s)
MustangGT
you can skip the compund/polish stage if no paint correction is necessary.

wash - clay bay - wash or wipe down again - sealant (optional) - wax.
But aren't you supposed to polish it at least once a year? And doesn't it help to keep the paint look better?

Sponsored

shawndean22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS 1LE
depending on where you live you may not even need to clay bar. Just wash and wax, if no paint correction is needed. Polish once a year, there is no time frame whether it needs it or not. If there are no scratches or swirls, no point in removing some clear coat.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
But aren't you supposed to polish it at least once a year? And doesn't it help to keep the paint look better?

Polish *as needed*. Polishing removes micro layers of paint every time, you really want to keep this to a minimum over the life of the vehicle.

You do want to clay/protect (wax, sealant, coating) more often depending on the product (wax 1-3 months, sealant 6-12 months, coating 12-24 months).

I also do not agree that clay is not necessary. If you need to wax your car, you need to clay (or clay substitute) beforehand every time. You should never polish without removing surface contaminants with both a chemical decon (IronX) and clay or clay sub.

OP
OP

Black

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hash
Vehicle(s)
MustangGT
Thanks guys. So the sealant comes after the wax?

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Thanks guys. So the sealant comes after the wax?
Sealant before wax. Sealant seals the paint, wax gives it a glossy sheen.

JR

ohmsmcgee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
11 Raptor, 15 GT-PP, 16 RZR XPT
If you're claying the car you will leave behind micro marring on the paint, therefore if you want a perfect finish you will need to use a polish, Just use the least aggressive polish (jewelers polish) you have on hand.
Compounding isn't necessary.

I would suggest you use a pre wax cleaner when you wash the car, then clay, polish, sealant and a wax to top if off if you want a bit more depth.

Sponsored

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I use "Dawn dishwash liquid", it will strip wax, then I use ResistAll Enviro/Guard paint sealant. Then wax of your choice. After 3 years my 16 GT now needs some paint correction.

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
I follow a couple detailing sites and the question "is polishing really needed after clay?" is asked all the time. The replies are consistently - "if you clay then you should polish" for the reason ohmsmcgee mentioned above.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
Correct. Clay is abrasive and especially a very aggressive clay will cause significant marring.

Too many possible scenarios here but I will say that I'm willing to bet your vehicle has scratching or light marring, you just don't know how to look for it. Whether or not you want the finish perfect is up to you.

A finish polish will remove very light marring in some cases. This depends on the paint, pad and polish used, as well as the technique and skill of the individual correcting the paint. In other instances, in the case of a harder paint or deeper scratching, a more aggressive compounding step is needed. In the middle, one can sometimes do a single step process to remove scratching and leave an acceptable finish behind. Again, this depends on the paint(color, hardness), pad and polish used, and the person doing the work.

Sealants - you don't need to stack them. A good polymer sealant or wax is all that is needed, but not both. A wax is a sealant, just comprised of naturally occurring materials(carnauba) where a sealer is just a man-made(polymer or silica) version. If you like doing extra work, have at it, but there's no tangible benefit.

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
If you want to do it right....

Wash the cash with a neutral car wash soap. I use a 1800psi pressure washer with a foam cannon. I rise the car....foam with the foam cannon, the pan I use a wash mitt and a bucket of clean water and a soapy bucket. I go over the whole car with the mitt and then rinse.

Then I use a “stripper/cleaner” like CarPro Eraser or Gyeon Prep to take any waxes or sealants off the paint.

Then I either one step or two step polish. I splurged and bought a Rupes polisher and all kinds of pads. You compound first. I used my Rupes with a microfiber cutting pad and the the paint looks like it was just sprayed! The next step for me is a final polish with a foam pad.

After the paint is a perfect as you can get it, give it another wipe down with Eraser or Prep.

As for the final coat...it’s preference.

Some like an old school, tried and true carnuba wax, but that would last 6 months for a weekend warrior....and about 3 months on a daily driver. If you don’t mind reapplying, then go for it. Waxes usually gives a warm glow.

A sealant is synthetic polymer that will protect as good if not better then wax. They usually give a crisper shine and last 6 months on daily and a year on a weekend car.

Then there is coatings. This is the best of all worlds. It’s trickier to do then wax or sealants, but they can last for years....and they make cleaning the car 1000x easier. They are a process to do, but not bad if you take your time,

For products....you can get results by store brands, like pep boys or auto zone, but there is stuff that is worth the money if you look.

www.autogeek.net
www.autopia.com
www.esotericcarecar.com