Sponsored

Exposing Carbon Fiber On R Wheels

REVolutionist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT 350 R w/Black & Red Stripes
Does anyone out there know of a reputable place to have your GT350 R wheels sent to, to expose the CF underneath the paint? I know FatHouse had done it but I understand they are no longer doing it.

And I know I could attempt myself, but I do not have the patience nor the time to make it a DYI project.

Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Does anyone out there know of a reputable place to have your GT350 R wheels sent to, to expose the CF underneath the paint? I know FatHouse had done it but I understand they are no longer doing it.

And I know I could attempt myself, but I do not have the patience nor the time to make it a DYI project.

Any help is appreciated.
Give Carbon Revolution a call to see what it takes. Better yet call Fathouse and ask how they did it.
Aircraft paint stripper will remove the paint but may hurt the epoxy as well, I donā€™t know.
No matter what, itā€™s a lot of work.
Another thing to consider is how pretty the carbon fiber is underneath the paint. When they were produced exposed carbon fiber was not the end game.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
Whatever you do, do not under any circumstances use any type of chemical stripper on your wheels. It will destroy the epoxy resin and could render your wheels potentially unsafe. Aircraft paint stripper (at least for commercial aircraft) is an acid. Painters have to wear respirators and dress head to toe in protective gear, it causes polyurethane paint to bubble up and run off, imagine the effect it could have on your wheels.

Last edited:
OP
OP
REVolutionist

REVolutionist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT 350 R w/Black & Red Stripes
I reached out to Carbon Revolution to see what they say.

I understand that most of the examples seen have been performed via wet sanding which can be lengthy and tedious and if you are not some what skilled can make errors an expensive complication.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Whatever you do, do not under any circumstances use any type of chemical stripper on your wheels. It will destroy the epoxy resin and could render your wheels potentially unsafe. Aircraft paint stripper (at least for commercial aircraft)is an acid. Painters have to wear respirators and dress head to toe in protective gear, it causes polyurethane paint to bubble up and run off, imagine the effect it could have on your wheels.
Been using this for years. Outdoors only and it really doesnā€™t work that well any more (Iā€™m in California) due to regulations. Barley removes paint and primer with several applications.
Maybe buy a destroyed/not repairable CF wheel and practice different methods.
3AD45114-CB2C-4CA4-A3CE-8A88161515B9.png

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bulldogs22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Most likely R wheels have some blemishes due to them being painted black. The same principle applies to the HP GT500 where the wheels were painted black as well due to blemishes. Now if you could remove the paint and have everything in tact I'm sure you could possibly fix any blemishes. @Tomster has a tread and also uses spyder composites.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Most likely R wheels have some blemishes due to them being painted black. The same principle applies to the HP GT500 where the wheels were painted black as well due to blemishes. Now if you could remove the paint and have everything in tact I'm sure you could possibly fix any blemishes. @Tomster has a tread and also uses spyder composites.
It started out that way, but now all wheels are the same whether they are painted black or not.

Keep in mind that when R wheels were made, there were no exposed carbon wheels and the intent was structural only. You may sand them down and find a consistent weave, but you may not in some areas. I would advise against sanding down R wheels.
Sponsored