Sponsored

350R carbon fiber wheels - tire change

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
RE71R's are a great tire but be aware that they were made specifically with autocross in mind. Can you track them? Of course. But they will get greasy fast.
Sponsored

Itisfun

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby gt350
Great question OP, I've been thinking this very thing. I'll probably go to the dealer, not that I think they'll be more experienced but because if they get damaged I think they'll be easier to deal with than a tire shop.
How are the wheels balanced? Tape weights? Will they really stay on a smooth surface.

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
Asked my dealer and they said "not here", go to Butler Tire. Have not gone there yet, but am very anxious about that. Don't know how Ford allows them to sell a car they can not service. Seems preposterous.

Guy who changes tires at our track changed them for the Ford event there without issues (and without knowing they were CF :eyebulge: )

I will immediately remove the CF wheels and use my track wheels. The CF wheels are just too much trouble.

geb78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
I got a nail in my tire after having it at the dealer to replace the thermostat. They did a road test after. Can't really say when the nail got in there (slow leak). I told the dealer I was willing to pay for half the cost of the tire and they agreed. Then they said we'll give you the money but you have to find a place to install, we won't accept the liability. I wasn't too pleased. Eventually I spoke to someone else and they said they found a tech that has experience with CF rims and that they'd mount the tire. Bringing it in Friday, stay tuned.

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Asked my dealer and they said "not here", go to Butler Tire...

Guy who changes tires at our track changed them for the Ford event there without issues (and without knowing they were CF :eyebulge: )
There's literally nothing different about changing tires on CF wheels vs. changing tires on aluminum wheels. Having watched my tire get changed I don't sweat this anymore. The equipment comes in contact with the finished surface of the wheel be clearcoat, powdercoat, or anodize (or similar) finish. The clearcoat on our wheels is no more susceptible to damage than any other painted aluminum wheel. I actually think our CF wheels are less susceptible to damage than the powdercoat finish on a high end wheel like Forgelines.

Sponsored

FTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R
It's not that CF are any harder to change. Most dealerships have cheap equipment and/or technicians that will damage wheels. The liability is not worth the profit at that point.

geb78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
It's not that CF are any harder to change. Most dealerships have cheap equipment and/or technicians that will damage wheels. The liability is not worth the profit at that point.
That's exactly it. I've had rims scratched in the past. For $20 mounting fee it's not worth the liability.
Sponsored