Exhaust ideas? Wanting more rumble.

BoostedScarlett

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Ecoboost
Hello all! I’m on a quest that may have no ending and I may just need to face the facts.. I have a 2019 Ecoboost mustang currently equipped with the Mbrp race cat back.. and I’m a bit let down at how “not throaty” it sounds. I have had the exhaust for months and I love it BUT I want a little bit more in tone. Can this be solved by adding in the 3 inch dp? I heard that will make it more raspy, hard to tell through the YouTube videos as it sounds exactly the same. I just want more rumble! I’ve seen other 4 bangers pull It off, but not the Ecoboost, why is that? What can I do? Any suggestions are appreciated!
Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I hate to break it to you, but a 4-cylinder just isn't going to have a lot of down low noise. The firing order has a huge impact on sound (e.g., Voodoo vice Coyote), but engine size is paramount. Other 4-cylinders might have a deeper exhaust note, but that could be influenced by the displacement and firing order.

JR

OP
OP
BoostedScarlett

BoostedScarlett

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Ecoboost
I hate to break it to you, but a 4-cylinder just isn't going to have a lot of down low noise. The firing order has a huge impact on sound (e.g., Voodoo vice Coyote), but engine size is paramount. Other 4-cylinders might have a deeper exhaust note, but that could be influenced by the displacement and firing order.

JR
Well that’s okay. I kind of expected that. I understand 4 bangers can only do so much in terms of sound. I get the fact they won’t sound like a v8. Just wasn’t sure if there was a way to get a little more out of it. Thanks.

charlesj5

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I have a 3in downpipe with the MBRP race and I can confirm its a lot raspier than the videos of just the MBRP cat-back sound. However, that is mostly at WOT. At lower RPMs it is very throaty. This is all comparing to a video though so don't take my word for it. I've always had the down-pipe.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all! I’m on a quest that may have no ending and I may just need to face the facts.. I have a 2019 Ecoboost mustang currently equipped with the Mbrp race cat back.. and I’m a bit let down at how “not throaty” it sounds. I have had the exhaust for months and I love it BUT I want a little bit more in tone. Can this be solved by adding in the 3 inch dp? I heard that will make it more raspy, hard to tell through the YouTube videos as it sounds exactly the same. I just want more rumble! I’ve seen other 4 bangers pull It off, but not the Ecoboost, why is that? What can I do? Any suggestions are appreciated!
I’m guessing you still have the massive OEM resonator in place.

Sponsored

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
No resonator here. Only thing I haven’t touched is the dp and intake pieces.
Try the MBRP XP Cat-Back Race exhaust, very good grumble paired with a mishimoto down pipe. I get a ton of compliments when I go to car meets so I assume it works pretty well lol

Deleted member

Try the MBRP XP Cat-Back Race exhaust, very good grumble paired with a mishimoto down pipe. I get a ton of compliments when I go to car meets so I assume it works pretty well lol
That's the exhaust he already has, per his first post.

OP
OP
BoostedScarlett

BoostedScarlett

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Ecoboost
I am looking at fitting a dp at some point. I’ll update this thread with my opinions when that comes around. I appreciate everyone’s input! :)

Sponsored

emericA243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecobeast PP
I bought my ecoboost and wanted to get the deepest grumble possible with no high pitched raspy metal sound(i dont get people that are into that teeth clenching high pitched tone, eco or otherwise). The shop suggested the Mishimoto cat-back. It definitely fit the bill, from stock to this it is way deep with no drone. No it doesnt sound like a cam'd out v8 but if 10 was stock high pitched 4 cylinder and 1 was a deeply toned 4cyl boxer engined STI, then id put this at a 3 and assume youre at like a 6.

OP
OP
BoostedScarlett

BoostedScarlett

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Ecoboost
I bought my ecoboost and wanted to get the deepest grumble possible with no high pitched raspy metal sound(i dont get people that are into that teeth clenching high pitched tone, eco or otherwise). The shop suggested the Mishimoto cat-back. It definitely fit the bill, from stock to this it is way deep with no drone. No it doesnt sound like a cam'd out v8 but if 10 was stock high pitched 4 cylinder and 1 was a deeply toned 4cyl boxer engined STI, then id put this at a 3 and assume youre at like a 6.
Well I don’t wanna replace my entire cat back I like the sound and it is pretty low as it is a full 3 inch non resonated system with a set of race mufflers. I’ll look of the specs to see if mishimoto is an option for me. And @JohnDoe , not sure if I wanna run a full straight pipe, little too metallic of a sound for me. Thanks for the references though!

emericA243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecobeast PP
@emericA243 , looked it up and that’s a bit too muted for me. Thanks though.
Not sure what you mean by too muted. As in its a low tone but not obnoxious enough? You might be correct, however you CANNOT go off of audio on the computer for anything like this. 99% of the time its all filmed with non appropriate microphones (cell phones, built in mics, etc) and nothing sounds like what your ears will hear anyway. And to another point, you need the appropriate speakers \ listening device to even consume said appropriately authentic filmed audio.

To be fair, as mentioned previously, you're not going to get anything near a Subaru Boxer engine tone with these I4's.
Sponsored