Sponsored

Exhaust and Drive Mode Selection

Rock50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Would like the ability to select exhaust modes without having to go through the menus and select drive modes without having to cycle through modes (normal, sport, track, etc.). Plan was to connect to the CAN bus, monitor and capture the commands while changing exhaust modes or pressing the toggle switch. Then, use an Arduino, replicate the commands on the bus. Not as simple as I thought.

Looking through the schematics for the computer data lines, this car has four networks: HS-CAN1, HS-CAN2, HS-CAN3 and MS-CAN. On the OBDII connector, pins 3 and 11 are for HS-CAN2 high and low. Pins 6 and 14 are for HS-CAN1 high and low. There is also a four wire plug near the OBDII port that has HS-CAN3 (green and white wires) and MS-CAN (violet and gray wires).

Using an Arduino UNO with a cheap MCP2515 shield, I was able to monitor the networks with CANHacker. Original plan was to continuously cycle drive and exhaust modes. Assumed that drive and exhaust modes would be set by a single command or that I would be able to replicate the toggle switch. See some things passing on all three HS-CAN networks when set to 250Kbps, but can't get it to read on MS-CAN (tried both 250Kbps and 125Kbps).

No idea which bus I should start focusing on and how to read the MS-CAN (I believe the toggle switches are part of the SYNC system and are on this network). I suspect that the IPC sends commands to multiple modules when drive modes are changed and it won't be as simple, but simulating the toggle switch should be much easier. Anyone have any experience with this kind of stuff and can help?
Sponsored

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Hit the pony button on your steering wheel and go to “exhaust”...

OP
OP
Rock50

Rock50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Yeah, flipping through menus and cycling through modes with the switch is starting to look not as bad.

Don't have the pony button on mine. Maybe that would be easier to retrofit.

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT

Sponsored

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
It's a shame we don't get a dedicated exhaust toggle switch like the GT350. I'd trade my steering toggle switch for that any day.

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
It's a shame we don't get a dedicated exhaust toggle switch like the GT350. I'd trade my steering toggle switch for that any day.
could we just take the gt350 switch and replace our steering mode switch with it? or will that just still switch our steering mode but just have an exhaust icon on the switch?

does anyone know if the toggle switches are just simply that, plain toggle switches? or is there some kind of logic inside it that tells it what to switch?

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
could we just take the gt350 switch and replace our steering mode switch with it? or will that just still switch our steering mode but just have an exhaust icon on the switch?
I'm fairly certain that's been tried and it was a no go. I don't remember specifics though.

Sponsored

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
There’s a setting for the exhaust in the info display on non-401a cars.
I know, but not quickly via a dedicated pony button like you originally said.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It’s pretty darn quick :p
Just the fact that you have to keep re-configuring your car in any fashion at all - even if you were the last person to drive it - is a PITA. It amounts to Ford saying "we'll let you own the cars we make, but we're going to keep sticking our noses into the way you get to drive it".

Norm

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Just the fact that you have to keep re-configuring your car in any fashion at all - even if you were the last person to drive it - is a PITA. It amounts to Ford saying "we'll let you own the cars we make, but we're going to keep sticking our noses into the way you get to drive it".

Norm
Um, unless I’m confused this thread is regarding using a tool like forscan to set the exhaust mode independently of the drive mode. This can already be done, regardless of what trim level you have. I have no idea what you’re referencing [that’s being discussed in this thread] being a pita.
Sponsored