Sponsored

Exhaust and Drive Mode Selection

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
Um, unless I’m confused this thread is regarding using a tool like forscan to set the exhaust mode independently of the drive mode. This can already be done, regardless of what trim level you have.
OP was looking for a way to do it with a dedicated switch, not having to go into any menus.
Sponsored

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
OP was looking for a way to do it with a dedicated switch, not having to go into any menus.
I took it as setting it independently of the drive modes. If I’ve missed something, I apologize, but Norm’s comment still would not make much sense even in the context you’re going by.

EDIT: If OP is wanting it to be a toggle switch, he would likely be best off figuring out how to replace the “steering” toggle to replicate the GT350 exhaust toggle. Might be possible...?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Um, unless I’m confused this thread is regarding using a tool like forscan to set the exhaust mode independently of the drive mode. This can already be done, regardless of what trim level you have. I have no idea what you’re referencing [that’s being discussed in this thread] being a pita.
"Pretty darn quick" still sounds like you're having to reset something to your preference every time. It's nuisance enough just to shut TC off in my Mustang or VDC off in the WRX every time, and those only involve a single button-press each.

Norm

rangerryda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
Yup this!
I have active exhaust but no pony button. I don't have My Mode either. You have to smash the konami code into the steering wheel every time you start your car and want something other than "normal" without changing the drive mode as well.

Sponsored

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
"Pretty darn quick" still sounds like you're having to reset something to your preference every time. It's nuisance enough just to shut TC off in my Mustang or VDC off in the WRX every time, and those only involve a single button-press each.

Norm
This has no relevance to what the OP is asking or trying to do.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Hit the pony button on your steering wheel and go to “exhaust”...

Once set does it save the setting, second any difference from Sport or Track sound and same question Track mode saved?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
This has no relevance to what the OP is asking or trying to do.
That I understand where OP was coming from about having to reconfigure his exhaust every time is irrelevant to the fact that he has to do so?

"Pretty darn quick" even via the pony button still means it's not a one-touch operation like what OP really wants.

Norm

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
OP,
I too am a programmer and was thinking of doing something similar. I was thinking of a module to learn the toggle switches (all of them) and on power up, delay and then issue so many toggles. At the time I just wanted the driving mode to stick. Every time the toggle was hit it would add one to the list and then the total would be MOD() to bring it back to the least number of toggles. I think they have something like this on the F150 (module). The issue now is that we have no input, that I know of, down at the toggles for exhaust. I doubt a digital/401A would have the same computers/etc. as the GT350 since the digital dash is not even an option for the GT350. I would love to find out that I am wrong and that there is a way to put a toggle for exhaust. As it is, there are other places in the car that could take a toggle. Too bad they do not make a kit to add an exhaust toggle. Then we could add a learning tool to that.

I digress.

To me, for exhaust, I would just reach under the car and unplug the mufflers and , if possible, modify the linkage to just keep it in whatever mod you wanted. Maybe putting a module there is better but , of course, you would need two(maybe) and it would need to be weatherproof. The module could be nothing more than a lookup table with a set of dip switches setting the value or some other method to set it. The switches would be what output you always wanted. I would write the code to always allow Quiet mode settings through though. I would say to work on a module at the mufflers that first just allows you to move the setting manually. Then work on taking the input there.

ManyfordsnoMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT convertible Magnetic 10 spd auto loaded; '04 Maruader SC, 1970 442 W30 Convertible, 2014 Fusion Energi
I have yet to sit down and read the manual completely (never have and probably never will). But just last week I was frustrated with a couple of settings

Could not put exhaust in track mode while toggle setting is in Sport+

Also couldn't understand how to get car in just Sport mode.

By playing around with all the settings I learned I could do all of the above and save it in My Mode"

The issue as other's are pointing out is not that it can't be done but in reality we have too many varied inputs and menu items, just bad (or should I say confusing) UX design. You have toggle switches, Mustang Menu, Settings Menu and to get the car in just sport mode you need to shift down to S with the shift lever. More steps than necessary and even more interfaces to remember than needed. Though changing the exhaust is now very easy now that I realized I can go to the Mustang exhaust menu

Basically I keep my car in Sport+ with normal steering, and exhaust is either in Sport+ or I go to the Mustang menu and change it to track for me or quiet if my wife is with me. In the end I have learned to enjoy it. Makes me feel more engaged with the car. If I need to get in and drive somewhere quickly, in reality I don't have to do a darn thing, but if I want it "my way" I plat with the switches, makes it feel more engaged with the car. Kind of fun actually. Some of us remember drving cars old enough you had to prime the carb or pull out the manual choke button.

OP
OP
Rock50

Rock50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Finally see things on the MS CAN network. Had the CAN+ and CAN- wires swapped (I misread the schematic). For anyone else that is into this kind of stuff, this guide helped me: https://www.kmpdrivetrain.coma/paddleshift/practical-tips-can-bus/. The gray wire measured 2.5V and the violet 2.25V, that meant gray is CAN+. With car off, resistance measured 60 Ohms, that told me I don't need the 120 Ohm terminating resistor as well. Played around with the trace for a few minutes, nothing jumps out right away and compared to other networks, there is a smaller number of device IDs, but all seem to be sending things consistently. Will have to spend more time with this, now that I see communication on this network.
Sponsored

Last edited: